Prospects that saw their stock rise or fall in the WJC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
And Finland (bronze) played a very physical game vs. the USA... dominating the Americans in that game, which says quite a bit considering they're a European team. They did as much damage vs. the Czech's in that bronze medal game I'm sure, as Canada did against the Czech's.

Yes, although atleast some of the Czechs showed up unlike against Canada, it was Finland vs. Schwarz for two periods and he stopped everything he possibly could have. Finns first goal was Tukonen unchecked across the crease and burying his own rebound while the second one was a great shot by Oksa that went in from the post.

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site
If the concussion suffered by Olesz is serious enough, then you may see his stock drop, though not alot. Concussions have a tendency to scare some scouts away. He played awesome throughout the tournament though.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I didn't see him but heard late Hab draft pick goaltender Halak was superb.

Other than that...

Impressed:
Parise
Werner
Wisniewski
Suter
Carter
Stewart
Phaneuf
Tukonnen
Lepisto
Meech
Paille
Olesz
Toivonen
Filppula
Dawes

Unimpressed:
Smid
Stafford
Fritsche
Richmond
Coburn
Fleury
Tambellini
Vanek(Didn't see him but not leading his team in scoring is pathetic)
Hudler
Burns

That is all I can think of off the top of my head of players I saw.

leafaholix*

I saw Halak play vs. Czech Republic and he looked pretty weak.

The game tying goal was shot from the slot with nobody around, and it went five hole... a wrist shot... not that hard.

Though it's not right to judge him on one game, I was expecting a lot better from him... as he was (statistically) one of the better goalies in the tournament.

Big Kov

Sep 16, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Im just curious why many ppl are adding Tambellini to their dissapointed lists. I thought he played good. not great but not disapointing or anything imo.

rtafts

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I don't understand why a few people have Parise on their disappointed lists? He led the tourney in points, and won the MVP. What more could you ask for?! :dunno:

Old Hickory

What are everyone's opinions on Brady Murray's performance?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
kingsjohn said:

I think he was about the 9-11th forward on the US team...didn't make a difference either way. Would have been cut from Team Canada so he made the right choice.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
rtafts said:
I don't understand why a few people have Parise on their disappointed lists? He led the tourney in points, and won the MVP. What more could you ask for?! :dunno:

I think most people are analyzing what Parise did in the semi-final against Finland and in the final against Canada as opposed to judging him tearing up a couple of the weaker teams.

I try not to put too much stock into one tournament where basically it comes down to 2 or 3 games. Too small of a sample to make too many conclusions about a player.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
What was up with all of Vaneks penalties? Was he laying hard hits and getting roughings or was he chippy and getting trips and slashes? Seen him do both. So i'd judge him by the outcome of his physical play. I have a feeling teams were aware when Vanek was on the ice and keyed in on him defensivly, hard to lead the team in points when u have no one and 5 guys watching u. And just because i am a gopher fan and people seem to be caught up in scoring. So when Vanek lead the national champs in scoring did that really impress everyone.

NJ_Devil_Boy

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
rtafts said:

Parise pulled a Giguere basically. He was good in the rounds before the finals, but still got MVP.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
NJ_Devil_Boy said:
Parise pulled a Giguere basically. He was good in the rounds before the finals, but still got MVP.

Who says he wasn't good against Finland or Canada? Statistics aren't the only criteria for success. I think he was effective in both games, while being the subject of the opposing teams' top defensive players.

leafaholix*

kingsjohn said:
He wasn't much of an offensive threat at all.

But he's like a waterbug... the guy is quick.

Much like Jason Blake.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
slats432 said:
Vanek(Didn't see him but not leading his team in scoring is pathetic)

I kind of get the feeling that numbers don't tell you everything. He might not have led the team in points, but he had 3 goals, the rest of the team combined only scored 2. Without seeing the games, it is tough to say how many chances his teammates didn't cash in on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad