Prospects that could make the biggest impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For Pittsburgh, Eaves, Whitney and Talbot have a chance to make the team. All of them could have some impact of some sort.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
For the Hawks: Yakubov and Babchuk. Possibly Barinka and Ellison or Vorobiev.

Edit: Im not saying these guys will make the "biggest impact," but they will likely make the team and make some decent progress.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Buffalo has some players who could make it, but with the current forward depth they all have a somewhat long shot.

Pominville had a very good AHL regular season and great playoffs. Paille and (if signed, which isn't likely right now) Vanek could see time with the club, though probably as call-ups after getting some time in with the Amerks. Doug Janik will probably fill in on defense for a few games like he did last season. Ryan Miller may finally get his chance at a regular role in the NHL as a back-up. Paul Gaustad could bring his solid size and checking role abilities to the big club as an injury call-up.

None will likely make a big impact outside of the wildcard Ryan Miller is holding.

Testify

Jun 24, 2004
thebob: what kind of chance does Matt Keith has of making the teams for the blackhawks next season?

thx

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
for the Wild...Koivu, Wallin (still a prospect?), and hopefully Patty O' Sullivan, but we will see if he makes the team. I think Wallin cound end up being paired with Gaborik and that would be sweet.

thestonedkoala

Koivu will make an impact but not a BIG impact...

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
The Preds prospect who will likely make the most impact is Libor Pivko. Other prospects who will likely see some time in Nashville are Segal, Upshall, Hutchinson, Shishkanov. Unlike last year, I'm not sure this years team will be that rookie laden.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I'll throw in a bit of a wildcard in there as an Oilers fan. I remember the same type of thread two years and I heard a lot of people saying Jani Rita. He'll have to really impress to earn his minutes, but he has the talent, question is if he has the heart still. Anyway, my question, why, in your opinion has he taken such a step back? I'm not disagreeing, and I know that he's stagnated in the minors, but why wouldn't you think he could be as successful in NHL now as then?

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Testify said:
thebob: what kind of chance does Matt Keith has of making the teams for the blackhawks next season?

thx

I actually meant to mention Matt Keith and not Matth Ellison as close to being a roster spot. I think most Hawk fans agree that he should and deserves to earn a roster spot opening day, but it likely isnt going to happen with Brain Sputter behind the bench. He will have slugs in there like Nickulas and Moen instead, those 2 guys should be released to give Keith a chance. I think Yakubov has the most chance of any forward of making the opening day roster, after him its between Keith and Vorobiev for a call up after Daze gets injured.

Testify

Jun 24, 2004
well thx for the precious infos!!! I luved the way Keith played when he was called up last season!

one last question, not concerning prospect, is it most likely that Arnason will keep his 1st center job?? or they planning to move Ruutu there? I think Ruutu should be kept on the wing of Arnason.. they did some major damage last season on a pretty bad hawks team!

thx

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
kronwall if you consider him one still will make a big impact this season if schneids is gone. He'll get PP time most likely on the second pairing. Holland said in the interview he'll be paired with chelios so im guessing woolley might be the odd man out, but i guess its between him and kronwall in camp. IMHO if kronwall is here all year, gets a few games of quality PP time, i could see him throwing up 15-20 pts, considering with very limited playing time when he was here, he got 6 pts in 25 or so games... times that by 3 and he could have possibly had 18 pts last season in 75 games... hard to believe too since he is a rookie, but he showed a lot of skill. Good skater, hit ppl when needed, i really dont recall him screwing up at all. He's detroits 2nd PP QB in 2 years, second to lids... bank on it.. he is good

Testify

Jun 24, 2004
what kind of role Lessard may have next season?? 3rd or 4th line?? same questions about Mietts

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Of course, Fleury is Calder eligible and thus a prospect so he should be added to Pittsburgh's list.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Testify said:
well thx for the precious infos!!! I luved the way Keith played when he was called up last season!

one last question, not concerning prospect, is it most likely that Arnason will keep his 1st center job?? or they planning to move Ruutu there? I think Ruutu should be kept on the wing of Arnason.. they did some major damage last season on a pretty bad hawks team!

thx

Sputter will continue to play Ruutu at wing because he is talented enough to play both center and wing while Arnason is not. Pulford has said that next year the Hawks 2nd line will consist of Ruutu-Arnason-Daze, and he promised that the Hawks will pick up a 1st line center and winger while also playing Calder on the top line. But, you can never believe a word our management ever says, so likely the Ruutu-Arny-Daze line will be our #1 line with Yakubov centering the 2nd line.

Ruutu would be more effective as a center because thats where he has played his whole life, but until the Hawks sign some decent wingers to take his spot, he'll likely stay a winger.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Testify said:
what kind of role Lessard may have next season?? 3rd or 4th line?? same questions about Mietts

I think that Lessard will play along side Mike Modano on a scoring line, to be honest. Actually, Armstrong even said that it may be a huge possibility.

Miettinen's game is far more complete and thus could also be used on a checking line. Expect the Stars to take good use of this and perhaps line him up with fellow Fins Niko and Jere..

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
For the Oilers, there's really only three with much of a shot. Rita is the most obvious one, and then both Schremp and Pouliot could win spots with impressive camps. Especially Schremp because of his high skill level which the Oilers could really use.

iamcaper

thome_26 said:
For the Oilers, there's really only three with much of a shot. Rita is the most obvious one, and then both Schremp and Pouliot could win spots with impressive camps. Especially Schremp because of his high skill level which the Oilers could really use.

Will Doug Lynch get a few games in this year?

iamcaper

theBob said:
Sputter will continue to play Ruutu at wing because he is talented enough to play both center and wing while Arnason is not. Pulford has said that next year the Hawks 2nd line will consist of Ruutu-Arnason-Daze, and he promised that the Hawks will pick up a 1st line center and winger while also playing Calder on the top line. But, you can never believe a word our management ever says, so likely the Ruutu-Arny-Daze line will be our #1 line with Yakubov centering the 2nd line.

Ruutu would be more effective as a center because thats where he has played his whole life, but until the Hawks sign some decent wingers to take his spot, he'll likely stay a winger.

Do you see Gusev with any kind of a chance to crack the top 6 on D in Chicago or is he going to always be on the outside looking in?

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
iamcaper said:
Will Doug Lynch get a few games in this year?

Both him and Woywitka have a strong chance to play in the NHL. However, unless Lowe unloads a couple of the older guys (I'm no expecting to see that) then I don't think he'll have the chance, simply a matter of numbers. Brewer, Smith, Staios, MA Bergeron, Semenov, Cross, and Ulanov are all good NHL Dmen. Woywitka probably has a stronger chance to then Lynch because he plays a more all around game probably. Never the less - if he comes into camp and shows he deserves a spot, it's likely that one of the vets (Cross, Staios, Ulanov) could be moved. And if Bergeron falters, it'll be the hotter of the two (Woywitka/Lynch) that will play in their sted.

But to answer your question, I would be extremely surprised if we don't see him in an Oiler jersey for ATLEAST 4-5 games (injury's, poor play by somebody else, and heck, even trades by Lowe).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->