Prospects signings????

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
if the prospect is sent back to juniors then the nhl club doesn't pay them a penny (besides any signing bonuses) and after the lockout begins teams can't sign anyone till the lockout ends...so most of the teams probably figured that it cost them absolutely nothing to sign the guy and then send him back to juniors so why not get them locked up and not have to worry about it later if the lockout runs passed next june 1 (which is a deadline to sign some of the 2003 draft picks)

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
it's my understanding that the june deadline will be out the window for any 2003 unsigned prospects....at least that's the BS i've been hearing. if that's the case, i think that would suck even more for the 2003 guys still unsigned. sounds like they're really gonna get screwed.....in more ways than one.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:
it's my understanding that the june deadline will be out the window for any 2003 unsigned prospects....at least that's the BS i've been hearing. if that's the case, i think that would suck even more for the 2003 guys still unsigned. sounds like they're really gonna get screwed.....in more ways than one.

most likely that deadline won't effect anything if the lockout is still going, but rather then wait to find out why not just get the player locked up now if you can??

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
trahans99 said:
Why are all the teams signing there prospects right before the lockout? Whats the difference in signing them now rather than 6 months from now or next September? Wouldn't they rather save the $$$ now and pay later?

If the kid plays in juniors they pay him nothing. If they are signing a prospect for the AHL, a top prospect would likely rather go back for a 20-year old junior season then sign an AHL deal (LIKELY).

Also, keep in mind... it doesn't make a difference signing them now or later in terms of contract value. If you're drafted prior to September 15, 2004, you are compensated in accordance with the old-CBA. It could work to teams advantage for later round draft picks who have blossomed and would be looking for maximum cash since the entry level system is likely to be overhauled capping top rookies and having the rest "fall in line".

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Would also like to add...

A lot of the NHL teams might have agreed they'd try and sign some of their "standard" players (a.k.a. 1st rounders, etc.) to help figure out a future "cap" figure in negotiations.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
If the kid plays in juniors they pay him nothing. If they are signing a prospect for the AHL, a top prospect would likely rather go back for a 20-year old junior season then sign an AHL deal (LIKELY).

Also, keep in mind... it doesn't make a difference signing them now or later in terms of contract value. If you're drafted prior to September 15, 2004, you are compensated in accordance with the old-CBA. It could work to teams advantage for later round draft picks who have blossomed and would be looking for maximum cash since the entry level system is likely to be overhauled capping top rookies and having the rest "fall in line".
uhhmm....are you sure about this? and what would work to a teams advantage? how?

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
MePutPuckInNet said:
uhhmm....are you sure about this? and what would work to a teams advantage? how?

If a player is drafted in the 7th round and he blossoms... he isn't guaranteed top money even though he now might be the team's top prospect. In prior years he woukd've been given a competitive deal where as under a new CBA (he's still "grandfathered in") but the owners can cry we have no room under the cap/luxury tax threshold to sign you to top dollar so you need to sign what's in line with other 7th rounders and we'll include bonuses.

So it COULD work to the team's advantage.

And yes, I'm sure if you were drafted in 2004 or before, you are compensated according to the old CBA.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
MePutPuckInNet said:
unless I'm misreading this.... that doesn't sound accurate, according to Bob McKenzie: TSN am I missing something here?

LOL... McKenzie's article is very misleading.

You're just going to have to trust me here that if you are drafted in 2004 or prior you fall under the old-CBA in regards to compensation.

Otherwise they wouldn't have signed anybody! If Getzlaf re-entered the draft in June 2005 he would fall under the new-CBA thus limiting his earning potential.

You can believe whoever you want but you're just going to have to trust me.

Basically what you (and McKenzie) are claiming is a player like Ladislav Smid if he signed this year would be worth the rookie cap of $1.2 million but since he didn't he'll fall under the new CBA with a likely $800k rookie cap... works for the team but no the player. Doesn't matter though considering Smid and any other '04 (or prior) draft picks fall under the terms of the old CBA UNLESS the NHL/NHLPA work it out in the new CBA which isn't likely considering the '04 and prior picks are the future framework of the NHL. As it is to help get the new CBA done, future picks will have to take a pay cut but not the current drafted players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->