Prospect Info: 2019-20 Syracuse Crunch & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I sort of think at the moment that the guys SYR would most likely send down to Orlando would be

Bourke-Hults-Brassart

Mitch Hults' stats are very similar to Troy Bourke's, and we're talking about him getting sent down with no hesitation.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Solid game on the road in Binghamton for the Crunch. Two PP goals and two SH goals for a 4-0 win. Ingram looked solid in goal. Andrehoff with shortie and a PP. Cernak looked far better and Martel was all over the ice being Martel. Utica at home tonight, which should be interesting.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Better than opening night, not as good as last night. Dumont did not come out for second period so it will be very interesting to read what is going on there. The players working the point on the PP need to spend more time in practice getting the puck in the same area code as the net, let alone on the net. All the traffic in front getting beat on means nothing if the players winding up from the point are no where near the net with the shot. Best line was Andy, Conacher and BB; they have the potential to be a number 1 line pretty quickly if they stay together.
I know many of you feel having a body guard at the NHL level is not needed, and sadly, in today's game at the NHL level I am forced to agree. That being typed, there are still cementheads at the AHL level on many teams that have no problem running amock against an opponent who cannot counter them either with their own bodyguard or by taking advantage of the power play. There were two called fights tonight and a third scuffle that could have been called. In all three incidents, the Crunch came out on the losing end against much bigger opponents. They guy Martell tangled with is 6'3" and well over 220lbs. There is no reason for him to be put in that situation. They were given roughing minors, but I have seen a couple of incidents in other games already this season that were far less and the players got fives. I am not referring to the Alex Gallant 185 pound soaking wet type either. The player I would have loved to have seen here, Luke Gazdic, is now signed and playing for the San Diego Gulls. Not sure who is left, but the organization needs to either get a power play quarterback who gets the puck on the net OR a bodyguard. Either of those options work for me as a deterrent because what we have right not is not working and it is only going to get worse.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Better than opening night, not as good as last night. Dumont did not come out for second period so it will be very interesting to read what is going on there. The players working the point on the PP need to spend more time in practice getting the puck in the same area code as the net, let alone on the net. All the traffic in front getting beat on means nothing if the players winding up from the point are no where near the net with the shot. Best line was Andy, Conacher and BB; they have the potential to be a number 1 line pretty quickly if they stay together.
I know many of you feel having a body guard at the NHL level is not needed, and sadly, in today's game at the NHL level I am forced to agree. That being typed, there are still cementheads at the AHL level on many teams that have no problem running amock against an opponent who cannot counter them either with their own bodyguard or by taking advantage of the power play. There were two called fights tonight and a third scuffle that could have been called. In all three incidents, the Crunch came out on the losing end against much bigger opponents. They guy Martell tangled with is 6'3" and well over 220lbs. There is no reason for him to be put in that situation. They were given roughing minors, but I have seen a couple of incidents in other games already this season that were far less and the players got fives. I am not referring to the Alex Gallant 185 pound soaking wet type either. The player I would have loved to have seen here, Luke Gazdic, is now signed and playing for the San Diego Gulls. Not sure who is left, but the organization needs to either get a power play quarterback who gets the puck on the net OR a bodyguard. Either of those options work for me as a deterrent because what we have right not is not working and it is only going to get worse.

Andreoff has 19 NHL fights and 22 AHL to his credit. He's not a big imposing goon but can hold his own problem is he's needed for his skill this season and not his hands. I see no point in signing a goon just to take minutes from a Sommpi, Colton or Tammela. I know Cernak and Foote can handle their own. As for the QB part, didn't watch the games this weekend to much other things going on, but Foote was that guy in Kelowna. He's been ok in the AHL but could be much better all around, not sure if he's just having a difficult time with the speed or system but he'll come around. Wouldn't mind bringing Taormina back though.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Andrehoff is a decent middleweight who is FAR more valuable to this team on the ice for his leadership and his scoring ability. I thought like you did when he was sent down, but quickly changed my mind into him being the power forward that this club so badly needs.
As for Cernak and Foote, simply typed, no.
Hose, you and I will agree to disagree until we are red in the face. You see your players as going into the corners with a dozen eggs and coming out with every one still intact by using their skill to offset then other team's size. I prefer players, especially at the AHL level, to come out with at least a couple that are all set to go to make a post game omelette. That is obvious even to the most unintelligent of readers of this page. The time is quickly coming for players at all levels to be the type you like, heck the NHL is already there. Like it or not, the AHL still has a need for a bodyguard style player, although that will no doubt be a thing of the past within the next three to five seasons at this level as well.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Andrehoff is a decent middleweight who is FAR more valuable to this team on the ice for his leadership and his scoring ability. I thought like you did when he was sent down, but quickly changed my mind into him being the power forward that this club so badly needs.
As for Cernak and Foote, simply typed, no.
Hose, you and I will agree to disagree until we are red in the face. You see your players as going into the corners with a dozen eggs and coming out with every one still intact by using their skill to offset then other team's size. I prefer players, especially at the AHL level, to come out with at least a couple that are all set to go to make a post game omelette. That is obvious even to the most unintelligent of readers of this page. The time is quickly coming for players at all levels to be the type you like, heck the NHL is already there. Like it or not, the AHL still has a need for a bodyguard style player, although that will no doubt be a thing of the past within the next three to five seasons at this level as well.

Can confirm. We actually have an Omellette on the Bears.

I'd also say the lower you go, the more physical the leagues tend to be. The ECHL is still a one ref system, which opens the door for a whole bunch more behind the play shenanigans. They've been calling 5 min major + game misconducts instead of 10 min misconducts this season, which I think will change how the game is played at this level, but it's still a fundamentally different league than the NHL.

So you've got to toss out the NHL model of success for every other league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crunchrulz

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Can confirm.

I'd also say the lower you go, the more physical the leagues tend to be. The ECHL is still a one ref system, which opens the door for a whole bunch more behind the play shenanigans. They've been calling 5 min major + game misconducts instead of 10 min misconducts this season, which I think will change how the game is played at this level, but it's still a fundamentally different league than the NHL.

So you've got to toss out the NHL model of success for every other league.

The AHL is rapidly working to remove the one dimension player from the league, hence the two fighting major rule. Additionally, whether they will admit it or not, some players seem to have "bullseyes" on their back and get called for minor infractions that 99 percent of players in the rest of the league are allowed to play through. The officiating is still a hit or miss proposition, as games are called one way by one crew and then the total opposite by the next crew. As frustrating as this is for us fans, imagine how the players on then ice feel.
I still hope the Crunch can talk Tom Sestito out of retirement to play this season. He would count against the vet numbers, however, given the current injury situation for the Crunch, he would be able to skate at least for the next several weeks.
Does anyone have an update on Dumont? He started and played the first, then did not come out for the second.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Cole Koepke's (#17) first collegiate goal @ 0:36. Koepke plays on #3 UMD's second line

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The systems argument is a bit of a faulty take, IMO. He won't really be learning them in Orlando.

It's a good pickup for OSB for sure though. Colby McAuley has been the only center to really be producing on the scorecard so far, which was always a possibility with the makeup of the roster, so center help is appreciated.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
I was just randomly looking at Barre-Boulets stats and I noticed he has 5 points in 5 games in Syracuse. For the guys who watch the crunch, how good has he looked out there? Anything that separates him from other prospects we have at center?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I was just randomly looking at Barre-Boulets stats and I noticed he has 5 points in 5 games in Syracuse. For the guys who watch the crunch, how good has he looked out there? Anything that separates him from other prospects we have at center?
He has looked very good so far. He is working with Conacher and Andrehoff on what is already the most effective Crunch line after just one game together. I hope the Crunch keep them together as they have an excellent chance to become the top line for the Crunch.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He has looked very good so far. He is working with Conacher and Andrehoff on what is already the most effective Crunch line after just one game together. I hope the Crunch keep them together as they have an excellent chance to become the top line for the Crunch.

I think it's important to remember not only his age, but his size. He's going to get stronger, so proving that he can MORE than hang in the pros right now, looking like the kid next door, is a pretty big deal I think.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
And the news gets worse on the farm.
Stephens is gone six weeks with an upper body injury. Cernak is day to day with a back injury. Both were suffered against Charlotte.
With all due respect to the folks in Orlando,. the well is now dry here in Central NY. Wish we could help you but the Crunch are looking for healthy bodies of their own to dress. There are three or four players who are scheduled to be back sometime in November, however, we all know and understand just how the recovery from injuries works and how long it takes to catch up to the other players who have had several weeks head start to get in-step on the ice.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Stephens is gone six weeks with an upper body injury. Cernak is day to day with a back injury. Both were suffered against Charlotte.
With all due respect to the folks in Orlando,. the well is now dry here in Central NY. Wish we could help you but the Crunch are looking for healthy bodies of their own to dress. There are three or four players who are scheduled to be back sometime in November, however, we all know and understand just how the recovery from injuries works and how long it takes to catch up to the other players who have had several weeks head start to get in-step on the ice.
Bears have won 3 straight.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Think we'll try to sneak Martel back down when Palat comes back?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Think we'll try to sneak Martel back down when Palat comes back?

He has played the role he is supposed to here in Syracuse well enough to provide a spark in the Tampa Bay lineup. While he will be missed, his get up and go are just what the doctor ordered for the Lightning.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Anyone got an update on Syracuse? Tons of talent down there but not a lot of production, kids having a hard time adjusting?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Anyone got an update on Syracuse? Tons of talent down there but not a lot of production, kids having a hard time adjusting?

I have a point of view and others will have theirs but here is mine.
They are young, far younger than they were supposed to be at the start of the season. This was initially due to injuries from training camp and from off season surgeries. Unfortunately, that bug has continued at both the NHL and AHL levels, with the Crunch hardest hit. Some key players are hoping to be back in November while some are expected to be out until the New Year and beyond. This is resulting in a lot of youth on the ice without a lot of vet leadership.
This is going to touch a nerve with some but at this point, those who disagree are ignoring the facts. This team has very little heart. Only a handful of players will try and out-hustle their opponents in the corners and in front of the net while their teammates try and finesse their way onto the scoresheet like they have done in juniors. They are slow to learn and understand that they are no longer playing against boys but instead are playing against men, many of whom have been to the show and are very hungry to get back. The most skilled position the Crunch have right now is in goal, and while both are very good, they cannot play all six positions while they are on the ice.
As I typed, what is sorely lacking more than anything else is take charge, veteran leadership on the ice. Andy and Conacher try, but there is only so much they can do. At the AHL level, a vet like Tom Sestito would help if he could be talked out of retirement. He is a local player who started his pro career with the Crunch. Those who do not support him will scoff at that comment, but in 37 games with the WB Penguins last season he had 6 goals and 9 assists for 15 poionts to go with 95PIMs.
I know it is early in the season but at this point, the Crunch appear to be still in training camp mode while most of the rest of the league is playing in regular season mode. Only San Antonio has a worse winning percentage, and they have played three more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad