Prospect Info: Prospects & Minor League Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Damn that injury has to be extremely serious for him to be out this long. Any ideas on what it was/is?

Thought it was a knee last year which he should've been recovered from by now. Hopefully he didn't need a 2nd operation on it because his game is based a lot on his skating and I don't think two knee operations will be good for that part of his game.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...trigue-to-lightning-exhibition-opener/2337927
When Hall of Famer Phil Esposito first saw Lightning prospect Oleg Sosunov, he joked he thought the 6-foot-8 Russian would hit the ceiling of Amalie Arena.

But Esposito also felt Sosunov reminded him of a certain NHL player:

Bruins captain Zdeno Chara.
"He has a bit of a nasty side to him, and Chara did too - it's a real good comparison," said Tim Hunter, a former NHL forward and Sosunov's junior coach at Moose Jaw (WHL). I think he'll be capable of playing in the NHL. He's skilled enough, smart enough, big enough, strong enough, mature enouugh. Now it's just a matter of processing the game. He's going to be a player, I know."
"When I saw (Sosunov) live in person, he was even better," Hunter said. "I could not believe how well he moved, his agility, his edge work."
Hunter was impressed by Sosunov's grasp of the English language, as well as his coachability. "High hockey IQ," Hunter said.
And Sosunov showed enough in the first week of Lightning camp to get an early look in an exhibition game. Lightning coach Jon Cooper said Sosunov reminded him of 6-7 Slovak defenseman Vladimir Mihalik, who he coached in AHL Norfolk in 2010-11.

So there you have it. He could be a Mihalik, a Chara or somewhere in between. :laugh:

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Chara has a BOMB of a shot and is one of the most feared fighters in the league to go along with being the Captain which speaks volumes to his character. Sosunov does not possess these traits that I'm aware of. Chara and Sosunov being huge humans that lace up skates is where the comparisons should end. Sosunov is more Sustr than Chara...everything else is hyperboles.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Chara has a BOMB of a shot and is one of the most feared fighters in the league to go along with being the Captain which speaks volumes to his character. Sosunov does not possess these traits that I'm aware of. Chara and Sosunov being huge humans that lace up skates is where the comparisons should end. Sosunov is more Sustr than Chara...everything else is hyperboles.

This reminds me more of Chara than Sustr. ;):naughty:

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007

chara literally won the bruins pull up contests this year, so also he's a fitness fanatic, so sosunov has a long way to go. it's literally a comparison only because of his height.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He has yet to show *any* offense at any level. I think the comparisons are completely bonkers as of this moment.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

This reminds me more of Chara than Sustr. ;):naughty:

Here is one of Sustr. I love this highlight by the way...one of my favorites. Coburn dry humping Ott on the ice for challenging Drouin (Ott is such a *********). Sustr and Smith trading bombs (in this clip you see Smith about to get in on Coburn when Sustr grabs him and throws him to the ice). Stamkos diving head first into the entire Red Wings goalie + defense. Its just too GREAT of a 30 seconds ... has to be re-lived.

Love the commentating by Engblom: "and there's one right into the ear hole"

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That was indeed a great moment. I never expected Sustr to hold his own against Smith, who actually is a very good fighter. He wasn't such an innocent little baby giraffe after that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He has yet to show *any* offense at any level. I think the comparisons are completely bonkers as of this moment.

A Chara comparison is a stretch for anybody. He's a 1st ballot HOFer.

That said, the lack of offense in Sosunov doesn't worry me too much, pretty much because Chara showed almost no offense early on. With Chara though, the tools were always there, it just took him 5-6 years to put them together. I'm not sure what tools Sosunov is working with. We've had reports about his "mean streak," always a plus in a player this big, and we know he can skate.

Really though, if he turns into a bottom pairing Dman who brings a bit of an intimidation factor, it'll be a hell of a pick. So far, so good.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
hes not similar to Z. hes a better skater but possesses less offense.

Z had almost no offense early on.

Not saying that makes them similar players. Just saying, if you're making the comparison to the offensive force Chara, you're comparing him to a 25 year-old Chara. It actually makes him more like Chara that he has no offense at this stage. ;)

But I don't think it's about Chara. It's more just, having a monstrous player in the lineup, who's effective, is a good thing, even if he's not HOF material.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Z had almost no offense early on.

Not saying that makes them similar players. Just saying, if you're making the comparison to the offensive force Chara, you're comparing him to a 25 year-old Chara. It actually makes him more like Chara that he has no offense at this stage. ;)

But I don't think it's about Chara. It's more just, having a monstrous player in the lineup, who's effective, is a good thing, even if he's not HOF material.

oh I didn't know chara wasn't good offensively when he was younger. too young to know that I guess lol

dang that makes me a bit more excited for Oleg

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
It appears I will be attending a lot more Crunch games this season. Just a heads up to be prepared for the good as well as the bad of the team that the Tampa Bay organization has in Syracuse.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Wanna take a shot at the projected roster??

Well I have to confess I'm not so much in the loop with the Crunch as I am the Lightning but considering their forward lineup is likely to include Cirelli, Yan, Joseph, Stephens and Volkov and their defense just got Cernak added to it and even a somewhat solid addition of McBain I really don't see why they can't make a good run this year. They already went to a Calder Cup Finals and now they just added the bulk of one of the best prospect pipelines in hockey.

Reactions: Petes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad