Prospect Info: Prospects & Minor League Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is Katchouk v. Joseph due to questions of translation to the pro game? I'm curious as to a comparison between the two, because on my viewings Katchouk has legit top line upside while Joseph is probably more of a middle 6 ceiling.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I didn't realize how insane our 2016 draft was...

Brett Howden
Boris Katchouk
Libor Hajek
Taylor Raddysh

all have raised their stock since the draft and with solid shots at being in the NHL.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Whats the ceiling for Joseph? Must be pretty good if you have him #2.

My rankings also take into account how close someone is to NHL ready. Joseph is closer than Katchouk so gets a bump there. It's hard to say on his ceiling since our guys keep exceeding what I thought they could be. I never expected Point to be a 30 goal scorer and nearly 70 point player by 22, maybe at his peak he would do that. Didn't see Cirelli being on the roster his rookie year and being the 3C at that. Figured he needed two years in Syracuse to bulk up before he made the jump. I thought Joseph was a top end 3rd liner, 20-25-45 type guy. But now maybe a 25-30-55 2nd liner is more likely.

With Joseph I see some Point in him when he has the puck on his stick. He attacks the blue line and gains entry really well, he's got good speed where he can beat the defender to the outside but also loves to cut inside to shoot. He's a line driver more than a complementary piece. He's a little taller but skinny, so his forecheck is similar as in not physical based more speed that leads to pressure. Great vision and passing that would go well with some of our shooters. Defensively he's sound, uses his IQ and quick stick more than shot blocking and physical play. I could see him being a poor man's Drouin which would be a steal for a 4th rounder.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Is Katchouk v. Joseph due to questions of translation to the pro game? I'm curious as to a comparison between the two, because on my viewings Katchouk has legit top line upside while Joseph is probably more of a middle 6 ceiling.

It's more who's NHL ready. Both could make the team next year and not be out of place that's for sure. Just think Joseph should get a look first. They're different types of players too, Joseph more east west and Katchouk north south. Katchouk should be the better goal scorer, they both have quick releases with good shots just Katchouk has a much better nose for the net to get those garbage goals.

I think a lot will depend on who stays going forward. I used to think Katchouk would be a good Killorn replacement on the 3rd line but now I think he can be a Miller replacement. That physical presence to go with the two skill guys but skilled enough himself to not be out of place, kinda like how Wilson is for the Caps but better offensively. For Joseph he could be a Gourde like player, maybe not as in your face though. Just a good all around player that plays all out each shift and before you know it has 60 points. So if Katchouk is playing top line while Joseph 2nd/3rd than Katchouk will produce more, I expect him to be the better goal scorer anyway. I think both are good enough to where we could move on from a combination of Miller, Johnson, Killorn and Gourde.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I didn't realize how insane our 2016 draft was...

Brett Howden
Boris Katchouk
Libor Hajek
Taylor Raddysh

all have raised their stock since the draft and with solid shots at being in the NHL.

So far the only bad pick from that draft is Paquette. Ingram the 2nd half of last year looked like someone who could be a cheap backup for us one day. Sommpi played like he did before coming to NA and with his size and defensive awareness could be a 4C. Sosunov actually got a point, not just a point but many and scored some goals. Still a ways away but looks less like a wasted pick on a giant stiff. The college kids stagnated a bit but the NCAA is a tough league, not many kids crush that league.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
How has Matt Spencer progressed? I noticed he was not on the Bolts AHL team when they played the Marlies, anyone got info on how he's doing?

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
How has Matt Spencer progressed? I noticed he was not on the Bolts AHL team when they played the Marlies, anyone got info on how he's doing?

He didn't get much playing time this year. As far as RHDs go ... we brought in a good veteran in McBain. Also had Ben Thomas who had surpassed expectations last season and got Cernak in the trade for Bishop. So Spencer had an uphill battle to begin with. Cernak is probably the best of the bunch so he got pencilled in and faced a lot of the hard matchups along with McBain as the top two RHD this season. At the end of the season we received from juniors Cal Foote so that added an extra layer of depth on the Crunch roster for the post season. Don't think there is a spot open on the right side yet for Foote on the Lightning ... so we are looking at a top two of Foote and Cernak. McBain played well and he is a veteran voice so maybe they'll have him return next season. Thomas is still on his ELC next year and could probably be relegated to 7th D duties. I'd say the Syracuse depth right now is:

2018-19 Season RHD
Foote - 1st Year ELC
Cernak - 2nd Year ELC
McBain (if they bring him back as a veteran leader - he is UFA)
Thomas - 3rd Year ELC
Spencer - 2nd Year ELC

Its gonna be tough for Spencer. Faster decision making with the puck I'd say is gonna be his biggest thing. I thought he showed well this season when he got an opportunity to play and got minutes in the AHL ... but looks like Spencer might just be on the AHL / ECHL shuttle next season as well. At the moment only Perbix is behind Spencer and he is going the NCAA route so its going to be a while before we see him. If we draft a RHD is probably going to take him two years to get to the AHL. Spencer's odds are not looking very good at the moment.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
He didn't get much playing time this year. As far as RHDs go ... we brought in a good veteran in McBain. Also had Ben Thomas who had surpassed expectations last season and got Cernak in the trade for Bishop. So Spencer had an uphill battle to begin with. Cernak is probably the best of the bunch so he got pencilled in and faced a lot of the hard matchups along with McBain as the top two RHD this season. At the end of the season we received from juniors Cal Foote so that added an extra layer of depth on the Crunch roster for the post season. Don't think there is a spot open on the right side yet for Foote on the Lightning ... so we are looking at a top two of Foote and Cernak. McBain played well and he is a veteran voice so maybe they'll have him return next season. Thomas is still on his ELC next year and could probably be relegated to 7th D duties. I'd say the Syracuse depth right now is:

2018-19 Season RHD
Foote - 1st Year ELC
Cernak - 2nd Year ELC
McBain (if they bring him back as a veteran leader - he is UFA)
Thomas - 3rd Year ELC
Spencer - 2nd Year ELC

Its gonna be tough for Spencer. Faster decision making with the puck I'd say is gonna be his biggest thing. I thought he showed well this season when he got an opportunity to play and got minutes in the AHL ... but looks like Spencer might just be on the AHL / ECHL shuttle next season as well. At the moment only Perbix is behind Spencer and he is going the NCAA route so its going to be a while before we see him. If we draft a RHD is probably going to take him two years to get to the AHL. Spencer's odds are not looking very good at the moment.

Guess he's got time to cook and maybe come out as a late-ish bloomer? Thanks for the write up!

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
My postseason prospect rankings, was going to do a write up on each player but is too hard to do on mobile. If you want to see a write up on a specific player just ask.

1. Cal Foote
2. Mathieu Joseph
3. Boris Katchouk
4. Mitchell Stephens
5. Taylor Raddysh
6. Alex Volkov
7. Erik Cernak
8. Dominik Masin
9. Connor Ingram
10. Carter Verhaeghe
11. Dennis Yan
12. Alex Barre-Boulet
13. Otto Sommpi
14. Alexey Lipanov
15. Sammy Walker
16. Ben Thomas
17. Nick Perbix
18. Oleg Sosunov
19. Ross Colton
20. Cole Guttman

I don't count guys who were on the NHL roster to end the year as prospects so no Cirelli as he's an NHLer to me. Even with Syracuse coming up short and no prospect going to the memorial cup it was a good year for prospects. Katchouk, Volkov and Ingram are big risers. I liked the years from Verheaghe, Sommpi, Walker, Sosunov, and Perbix. Was disappointed in Thomas, Spencer, Lipanov and the college kids didn't take big strides. Injuries hurt Yan, Tammela and Guttman.

Curious to see you expand on your ranking of Raddysh? Seems like a lot of people see Katchouk as having leapfrogged him, while Raddysh was previously more well-regarded. What's the difference between them?

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Curious to see you expand on your ranking of Raddysh? Seems like a lot of people see Katchouk as having leapfrogged him, while Raddysh was previously more well-regarded. What's the difference between them?
Katchouks size and skating, as well as his production this year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Sorry I missed this the other day. Like Russian said one of the things is skating, Katchouk is much better but Raddysh has definitely improved on that since his draft and shouldn't hold him back really. He's bigger than Katchouk so not sure why he mentioned size? Production wasn't an issue for me, he was scoring on a very bad Erie team and had another huge playoffs. He clearly produces way better when surrounded by talent but who doesn't?

I can see him being a 30 goal scorer with the right linemates. The kind of guy who finds the open area and the playmaker gets it to him to finish. I wouldn't call him a Cheechoo or Moulson as I think he has a better all around game then those guys but he could be labeled that if he latches onto the right line. As for Katchouk there's no real holes in his game, just needs some seasoning but is close to ready. He doesn't have 40 goal or ppg potential but his all around game might be better than Palat.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

JBB is on their list.

I sort of think that it should have a waiting period before they allow people in. No one currently associated with the team is a solid start (looks like politics). HHOF is like a 3 year wait.

They've also got quite a few names that are more tangentially connected with getting the franchise going. Either don't let them in, put them in as a group, give them a separate 'allies' category, or combine the builders and have the 'builders and allies' category.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Can you guys give me some insight into Anthony Cirelli? Specifically what type of player he is, if he has an NHL future and what role he projects as in the long-term. Thanks!
Energy 3rd liner is my guess. He is rather sound defensively and will chip in offensively. There were questions about his skating but he doesn't look out of place at NHL level to me in terms of skating. He did put up surprisingly good numbers in his first season (5 goals, 11 points in 18 regular season games) and on our 3rd and 4th line. In the playoffs his production went down but he was solid. Would be nice to see him gain a few pounds still. And who knows he might turn into another 2nd/3rd line tweener with 0.4 or 0.5 ppg / 10-20 goals (or more see Killorn, Palat).

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Carter Verhaeghe signed to one year contract. Only left to sign Peca and that should complete the Syracuse Forward roster:

Verhaeghe (Signed) - Peca (RFA) - Joseph (ELC)
Katchouk (ELC) - Stephens (ELC) - Raddysh (ELC)
Bournival (Signed) - Dumont (Signed) - Volkov (ELC)
Tammela (ELC) - Lynch (Signed) (ELC) - Yan (ELC)
Somppi (ELC) - Barre-Boulet (ELC) - Walcott (Signed)

Also says that Lynch has contract but not yet announced, so I added him above.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Carter Verhaeghe signed to one year contract. Only left to sign Peca and that should complete the Syracuse Forward roster:

That's pretty stacked. I think at least one of those guys makes the jump next year. My money's on Joseph.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016

Peca is listed as an UFA on CapFriendly and on the Crunch site https://syracusecrunch.com/sports/2018/5/7/player-tracker.aspx
Seems like he will be tough to retain. He got passed on the depth chart by Cirelli this year and you would think he will look around this summer for offers from teams where he has more opportunity.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Peca is listed as an UFA on CapFriendly and on the Crunch site https://syracusecrunch.com/sports/2018/5/7/player-tracker.aspx
Seems like he will be tough to retain. He got passed on the depth chart by Cirelli this year and you would think he will look around this summer for offers from teams where he has more opportunity.

If hes UFA he will probably look around. Wouldnt be surprised to see him get a chance somewhere. Thought he deserved one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->