Prospect Info: Prospects & Minor League Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Wit has had how many games at the NHL level? When he first showed up in Syracuse, he was physical and the rest of his game was lacking. Now he is arguably (which some are very good at here) the team's best defensive defenseman. But then again, to each thier own opinion.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Wit has had how many games at the NHL level? When he first showed up in Syracuse, he was physical and the rest of his game was lacking. Now he is arguably (which some are very good at here) the team's best defensive defenseman. But then again, to each thier own opinion.

Hate to say it, but Tampa Bay isn't Syracuse. His skating is no where close to where it needs to be an NHL defenseman. It might have been nerves, but his decision-making makes Carle look poised. He has no offense to speak of at this level, and is not big enough to be a real physical force.

He's a slower, less talented, less intimidating Gudas.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

He's almost 26 years old already, there's not much improving left in him. He's an AHLer with the occasional callup but no more then that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hate to say it, but Tampa Bay isn't Syracuse. His skating is no where close to where it needs to be an NHL defenseman. It might have been nerves, but his decision-making makes Carle look poised. He has no offense to speak of at this level, and is not big enough to be a real physical force.

He's a slower, less talented, less intimidating Gudas.

I'm not at all worried about his decisions, because I think that comes with time, as players adjust to the speed of the game. But footspeed is footspeed, and he doesn't have it. It was the major reason Korobov couldn't make it to the next level. Witko's not THAT slow (Korobov seriously reminded me of Derian Hatcher trying to play post 2004 lockout), but he does look a lot like Injured Gudas, without the intimidation factor.

I don't think the jury's in on him yet, but it's going to be awfully hard for him to overcome the speed issue, regardless of whatever else he might bring. Definitely starting to look like his future is as a Angelidis/Cote type, where he'll be great for the Crunch, for a number of reasons, and well-worth keeping in the organization. But, yeah, it definitely looks like his odds of becoming an NHL regular are not good.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Faire enuff. Most Crunch fans will welcome him on the blueline for as long as he is here. Those that dont prefer the non-aggressive, Disney on Ice style of play that both the AHL and NHL powers that be are trying to make the standard rather than the exception.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...da-russia-series-brayden-point-ivan-provorov/
In an effort to capture the magnitude of information available and drive home the point that computerized tracking or scouting really is the next wave of data collection, I manually tracked literally every play on the ice of Game 1 of the CHL Canada Russia Series, a 7-3 WHL win, which resulted in 1,358 data points of information.

Specifically, I tracked: pass attempts, both successful and failed; all shot attempts, on net, missed or blocked and registered, scoring chances or not; dump-ins and dump-outs; controlled zone entries; loose-puck recoveries; puck battles won and takeaways. I also recorded whether an event happened in the offensive, neutral or defensive zones, and for all events that involved a source player and recipient I recorded the specific location of each.

Because I made no attempt to time stamp all the events I was tracking, I didn’t normalize any of the results I observed for player ice time, but we can definitely infer some interesting information purely from raw event counts.
Brayden Point is really good

The Moose Jaw Warriors’ and WHL leading scorer looks like a massive steal for the Tampa Bay Lightning, who picked him 79th overall in 2014. Despite his small frame (5-11, 165 lb.), the team captain and absolutely dominated a game featuring 11 players picked in the first or second rounds of the NHL Draft.
chart1.jpg

Point also carried two of the least effective skaters in the game on his wings in Colin Shirley and Deven Sideroff, both of the Kamloops Blazers. Shirley ranked 17th in total event participation while Sideroff was 27th. Despite that, Shirley came away as the game’s leading scorer with a goal and four points (Point had 1-2-3). Much of the credit for Shirley's production should go to Point.
chart2.jpg

chart4.jpg

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Anyone find anything else on DeAngelo being scratched?

Any Crunch fans with some input? Was it something you could see coming? Or was it a little out of the blue?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'd also like to hear from Crunch fans. What's the deal with Adam Erne? He hasn't played in over a month. If he's injured then what on earth happened?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Erne took a slapshot from the point off his hand while playing in front on a power play second home game of the season. Nothing on why DeAngelo was scratched. Crunch with another stinker at home in loss to Toronto. When even the local fish wrap starts to question the team's lack of heart, you can imagine what the folks paying for tickets are thinking and saying.
On a better late than never side note, hope you had a decent Thanksgiving.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Sounds like he probably broke a bone or two his hand. Not surprised by that at all considering it's Erne and even less surprised that he's been out a month. Thanks for the update guys because it makes perfect sense now. It sucks but Adam will get back whenever he gets back. I just hope losing these games to injury doesn't hinder his development too much. Depending on how this offseason goes we may have a roster spot waiting for him. I sincerely doubt it but crazier things have happened. I'm more expecting that in the offseason after this one when Hedman, Bishop and pretty much every important player we have has a new contract due.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
BP: Crunch's Defensive Depth Drives Blujus
In his second year pro, Blujus has worked to strengthen his play in his own zone and chip in on offense when he can to keep his spot in the lineup.

“It’s also good for the D because you have to have a good game every night, because there’s someone who’s going to take your ice time if you’re not playing good,” Blujus said. “It’s tough, but it’s good for us.”
“I thought he had a really good start, and then I thought it leveled off for a couple weeks,” said Crunch head coach Rob Zettler. “Lately though, I really like the way he’s competing. I think he’s playing a stiffer, harder game in our end, which he has to do -- just sealing guys and being harder on guys down low. He’s starting to show that and do that.”

Instead of sulking, Blujus used the experience of sitting out as motivation.

“I didn’t have the best couple games, so I got scratched,” Blujus said. “Sometimes it’s a wake up call and it’s good for you as a player. It motivates you and it gets you going.”
“Dylan has the ability to create offense and be a good power play guy,” Zettler said. “You should be able to see him on the scoresheet a little bit because he does have power play opportunities. … But defensively, you haven’t noticed him because he’s been shutting guys down, playing well defensively, and making smart decisions with the puck. That’s what we need him to do in the other end.”
“Rookie year you’re definitely learning and playing at the same time at a really fast pace,” Blujus said. “This year you can slow it down. You’re always learning, but this year it’s a slower game. Not that anything has changed, but you’re more confident and you know what to expect.”

Blujus has continued to get stronger and more confident in his second season in Syracuse. He hopes his continued work earns him a regular spot in the Crunch lineup and leads to an opportunity to play at the next level.

“The biggest thing is to keep playing strong in the D zone,” Blujus said. “You look at the NHL and the guys are bigger, stronger, and faster, and you have to be faster and stronger in your D zone.”

Ikonen is being sent to the ECHL for the first time

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Bad sign for Ikonen. Kid looked semi-promising a couple of years ago. It's been all downhill since turning pro.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Erne with a goal and assist so far tonight. Way to go buddy!!

Also, any particular prospects that anyone is following going into the draft? I know it's early but the Lightning's recent poor play has me thinking ahead further into the future than usual.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Erne with a goal and assist so far tonight. Way to go buddy!!

Also, any particular prospects that anyone is following going into the draft? I know it's early but the Lightning's recent poor play has me thinking ahead further into the future than usual.
Erne finished with 1 goal and 2 assists.
Mitchell Stephens finished with 1 goal and 1 assist. Watched him some tonight.

I've watched a TON of OHL games this season, and I like (being an Otters fan):
Alex Debrincat
Taylor Raddysh
Michael McLeod
Alexander Nylander

These 4 players i've been watching a lot - on the teams Mississauga and Erie.
I've also watched guys like Tkachuk, who will go top 5, and others.
On defensemen, i'll post about some close to the draft.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think DeBrincat has a great chance of falling to us. I've kept an eye on him because you just don't pass on a "more sure" prospect like Nylander and Raddysh in favor of him and it'll drop his stock. "Cat" has a top 10 skillset but his size and skating are going to make teams shy away from him and not unrightfully so. Raddysh and Nylander are 2 prospects you listedn that I would take over him and I think that puts "Cat" somewhere outside the top 10. I think he goes around the 11-17 range; about where the Lightning would stand to pick.

With how we're playing we're either gonna barely make the playoffs or just miss out. If we just miss out I hope we can snag "Cat" and give ourselves an immensely talented prospect that we can groom for a couple of years.

Hope the Otters can finally win it all this year.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

1 goal + 2 assists for Erne in his first game back

http://boltprospects.com/content/erne-returns-lifts-crunch-5-1-win-over-senators
“Obviously, you get some butterflies before the game, but it’s just another game,” Erne said. “You want to prove yourself and get goals. The goal is to play in the NHL, and you have to prove yourself to do that. It can’t be a one time thing, it’s something you have to bring every night.”

Crunch head coach Rob Zettler believed pairing Erne with veterans Mike Angelidis and Jeff Tambellini gave the line a whole new dimension.

“He was maybe the best player on the ice tonight,” Zettler said. “He was really good. He skated really well. He looked really fast out there and was making plays.”

Angelidis, who centered Erne’s line, also finished with one goal and two assists. Tambellini recorded one goal and one assist.

“Obviously when you’re playing with guys like (Angelidis) and (Tambellini), they make it easy to come back,” Erne said. “They’re veteran guys who are easy to play with and fun to play with. We were lucky enough to find some chemistry right off the bat, and I thought we all played really well tonight.”

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
The Erne that played last night (not because he scored) is the Erne that the Lightning need. He was flying around, shooting from everywhere, going to the dirty areas, and showing off his vision with great passing...for a 215 lb forward that kid can flat out fly out there and cause chaos. That is the fully engaged Erne that can be a top line PF in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad