Blue Jays Discussion: Prospects getting the call! Jansen, Reid-Foley up to the show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Right, and to date he was never used this much at this point in part of the seasons he played in his career.

I dont deny that he can sustain a starters role for months at a time as we have seen it. But to ask him to do something he hasnt done before up to Aug 11th for almost 4 straight months is a recipe for a disaster and the Jays got it. He isnt a starter but he can be one short to mid term anything long it looks like he breaks down.

May 21-Oct 2, 2016. 4.5 consecutive months as a starter. Struggled in June, dominated in July, struggled again in August, dominated again in September. No sign of breaking down.

Your arbitrary use of timelines (has to start at the start of the season, has to end on the day he got hurt this year) to include his time spent injured in previous years while ignoring this year's injury in his games played total is overly simplistic at best and entirely disingenuous at worst.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I was coming from the angle that the people who pick up ball late in their development curve are not going to be prospects. I guess the question would be how many people pick up baseball late in their teens and get drafted? You can certainly come to a recreational sport late but the chances you become a prospect a slim to none.

Oh my bad. I completely misunderstood. Yeah, that's very different. You have special cases (like Lorenzo Cain, who started out at 14), but that's very rare. There's also a few pitchers as well.

If I'm lucky enough to have boys, they'll be hitting off a tee at 3, and playing catch at 4. lol

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
May 21-Oct 2, 2016. 4.5 consecutive months as a starter. Struggled in June, dominated in July, struggled again in August, dominated again in September. No sign of breaking down.

Your arbitrary use of timelines (has to start at the start of the season, has to end on the day he got hurt this year) to include his time spent injured in previous years while ignoring this year's injury in his games played total is overly simplistic at best and entirely disingenuous at worst.

Its a close comparison in games but he still played more games in less time switching leagues which is difficult as i eluded to.

Your 2016 Dates (135 Days):
104 games played - 99 Games Started - 424 PAs - 849 Innings Played

2018 (134 Days):
111 games played - 108 Games Started - 471 PAs - 901 Innings Played

He played, started, and fielded more in less days against tougher competition - im willing to give a mulligan.

Regardless let's say you are right and he sustained it ONE time before. Is one other 4.5 month periods a strong enough sample size? Lets say yes...

Look at his 2016 and 2018 numbers - identical. K/BB, hard contact, medium contact, soft contact, GB%, FB%, LD% are all very close. The biggest difference is his BABIP which took a hit, ISO was a noticeable difference (but his 2018 is higher than his career average) and his defensive metrics might attribute to playing on turf which many players have said that it is the hardest material to play on. An identical player from 2016 was here in 2018 but there looks to be some bad luck and a transition period im willing to give him. I dont think im willing to throw a guy aside after just 4 months when i still see a good player in there.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Looks like Groshans was demoted back to the GCL after a few games in the Bluefield. He struggled in his 3 games there, but seems somewhat hasty on such a small sample.

(Edit) It's possible it could just be a resumption of a suspended game but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Oh my bad. I completely misunderstood. Yeah, that's very different. You have special cases (like Lorenzo Cain, who started out at 14), but that's very rare. There's also a few pitchers as well.

If I'm lucky enough to have boys, they'll be hitting off a tee at 3, and playing catch at 4. lol

Im so glad my son wanted to play baseball, its so much better than hockey and football. The only concern I have, is that even at the rep level here, all the coaches are parents. This becomes a problem when a kid knows he is better than many of the kids, but doesn't get the "premium"positions because coaches kids play there, even if they suck. I find this these are the things that usually deter kids in sports.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Watching Little league is less frustrating than watching the Jays.

Got tickets for tonite's game but there are rumours that union is already flooded. SMH this city can't figure out the whole infrastructure thingie.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Looks like Groshans was demoted back to the GCL after a few games in the Bluefield. He struggled in his 3 games there, but seems somewhat hasty on such a small sample.

(Edit) It's possible it could just be a resumption of a suspended game but I'm not sure.

I am quite sure it was the resumption of a suspended game. Date says Aug 11th for the game.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Im so glad my son wanted to play baseball, its so much better than hockey and football. The only concern I have, is that even at the rep level here, all the coaches are parents. This becomes a problem when a kid knows he is better than many of the kids, but doesn't get the "premium"positions because coaches kids play there, even if they suck. I find this these are the things that usually deter kids in sports.

Dude, me and the bride-to-be have discussed whether to raise any potential kids in southern ontario or elsewhere mostly because of the rep level of baseball\softball (and for the year round aspect we can get elsewhere). Likely destination if we decide to not be in the GTA will be Houston (because of my company, weather, and state tax). If we stay, I'll be coaching them if time permits. Don't really trust many of the coaches for the very reasons you mentioned.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Assuming Buffalo doesn't make it, do you send Vlad back to AA for the playoffs? Have Bo and co. take a run at winning a championship.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Assuming Buffalo doesn't make it, do you send Vlad back to AA for the playoffs? Have Bo and co. take a run at winning a championship.

I believe that is frowned upon.

On a similar note, all the Jays farm affiliates besides Buffalo and Dunedin are in playoff races. Dunedin was in it but they have really sucked recently.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nationals fire sale is beginning, apparently have numerous deals being finalized.

Of them;

- Daniel Murphy to the Cubs for prospect Andrew Monasterio
- Matt Adams to the Cardinals

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Nationals fire sale is beginning, apparently have numerous deals being finalized.

Of them;

- Daniel Murphy to the Cubs for prospect Andrew Monasterio
- Matt Adams to the Cardinals

And Adams is an Alex Rios special.

Though it would be nice to see a Donaldson August waiver trade, that's likely the type of prospect you're looking at....and that ain't too good. Give me the comp pick (or the asset on the QO one year deal).

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
And Adams is an Alex Rios special.

These ones always baffle me.

The Rios one made sense. But Adams? They're saving something like $900,000 dollars by letting him go, and he's actually having a good year. I don't understand why they would bother letting him go. Just hold out for something in return or keep him.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
That seems like a really light return for a guy as good as Murphy, no?

I mean, guy's slashed .336/.379/.514 with a 136 wRC+ since the beginning of July. If that's what he's getting, I don't even want to bother with putting JD on waivers.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
6.5 Games back of a Wild Card spot and 7.5 of the division. This looks bad

You are a +59 run differential team and the teams in front of you holding wild cards spots are +25, +8, -11, and +58. In the Division the Braves are +86 and Phillies are +8.

Murphy and Adams arent stud players but they can help you win. Optically this looks bad to bail when you have 1.5 months left - 2 good weeks and you are in playoff spot. Understandably they havent had many 2 good weeks but your likely last year with Harper you should go down with this ship plus these returns arent must make trades

All moot unless the Nationals are making clubhouse changes here and believe moving Murphy and Adams helps them win if they have better replacements too.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
These ones always baffle me.

The Rios one made sense. But Adams? They're saving something like $900,000 dollars by letting him go, and he's actually having a good year. I don't understand why they would bother letting him go. Just hold out for something in return or keep him.

Yeah, I guess the thought process is he's a FA and you're not giving him the QO anyway.

Good guy too, so not like its a Danny Valencia situation.

Nats had so much promise but they sucked in the playoffs.

They're going to bounce back just fine. Good sized payroll and one of three most valuable prospect assets in baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->