Blue Jays Discussion: Prospects getting the call! Jansen, Reid-Foley up to the show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I qualify Donaldson if his health checks out. Doesn't make sense not to unless there's a better hitter you can get on the market for 1 year at 17.4M.

If he rejects it and signs somewhere else we get a draft pick.

If he accepts we use his production for a few months to block Vladdy at 3rd or protect him in the lineup, then deal him for a prospect at the deadline.

My goodness can you imagine if that was the only thing they did this offseason other than hoping the new field manager fixes the between the lines problems.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Now they have arguably the best player in franchise history coming up next spring and, the question is, will they surrounded him with a supporting cast?

Vlad might be the big name, but they also have a top 5 farm system. They already have a good chunk of the supporting cast on the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trawna Phan

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Who is projected to go in the Top 10 in the draft next year? Any strong SP?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

The draft is deep in college hitters. Not much in the way of college pitchers, or at least none have emerged yet. Best high school pitchers are Malone, Espina, and Hart imo.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Back in June, MLB.com did a "Way Early Mock Draft"

7. Blue Jays (27-35, .435): Zack Thompson, LHP, Kentucky
Thought to be one of the top sophomore arms in the nation, Thompson missed some time with an elbow issue, but did return successfully in May. The 6-foot-2 left-hander, a 2017 freshman All-American, should be Kentucky's Friday night starter as a junior with a fastball up to 95 mph and an impressive array of secondary stuff.

Early 2019 mock MLB Draft

Edit: Should note, Thompson has had a bit of a meh year. In 31 IP, he has walked 20 batters, gave up 24 hits, allowed 17 runs, hit 5 batters, but struck out 42. ERA of 4.94

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The draft is deep in college hitters. Not much in the way of college pitchers, or at least none have emerged yet. Best high school pitchers are Malone, Espina, and Hart imo.

It's kind of ironic because for years, the Jays were flush with pitching prospects, but were somewhat lacking in bluechip position players, and now they are seemingly in the opposite situation.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
It's kind of ironic because for years, the Jays were flush with pitching prospects, but were somewhat lacking in bluechip position players, and now they are seemingly in the opposite situation.

I think it's the better way to go personally. The Cubs and Astros did the same thing. Top pitching prospects are just much more volatile than top hitting prospects especially in the health department. You can always trade for pitching (Verlander, Cole, etc) or sign it in free agency (Lester) once you have your lineup set.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think it's the better way to go personally. The Cubs and Astros did the same thing. Top pitching prospects are just much more volatile than top hitting prospects especially in the health department. You can always trade for pitching (Verlander, Cole, etc) or sign it in free agency (Lester) once you have your lineup set.

I guess the opposing viewpoint is that top pitching is traditionally more valuable in terms of asset value, and if you have a surplus of top pitching you can trade that more easily for top position players.

Ideally the best way to go is a balanced prospect pool.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008

The Top 10 will change dramatically as it always does. College hitting is the strength at the top of the draft so far. I get the impression that this staff prefers bats to pitchers with high picks, and they wont "draft for need" regardless.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
As I've been stating for a few weeks now, I'm slightly concerned about Borucki's inability to miss bats in the zone so far. His swstr% (6.5) and z-contact% (92!) are well below major league average.

It wasn't a problem in AA last year, so hopefully it's just a blip, but definitely something to watch.

Strike throwers who can't get swings and misses in the zone or at least weak contact are going to get eaten alive against the Yankees and Sox disciplined, fastball mashers.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

It's super early right now, but the guys I like around our pick are:

Corbin Carroll, OF
Brenan Malone, RHP
Matthew Allen, RHP
Michael Busch, OF
Josh Jung, 3B
Reece Hinds, 3B
*Andrew Vaughn, 1B*

I'm a little hesitant on Vaughn cause of his profile (short R/R first baseman) but his numbers are ridiculous (.402/.531/.819 23hr), he hit well in a small sample in the Cape, and it's just fun watching him hit. He kind of has a Josh Donsldson-esque leg lift and swing.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

So by the looks of him, Alejandro Kirk seems to be quite the big lad. He's 5'9 220lbs! By comparison Vladdy is a svelt 6'1 240.

Struggling to find a physical comparison for him. Though Pudge was 5'9 220, he was actually built pretty athletic. Kirk looks more like catcher Jeremy Brown of Money Ball fame.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
As I've been stating for a few weeks now, I'm slightly concerned about Borucki's inability to miss bats in the zone so far. His swstr% (6.5) and z-contact% (92!) are well below major league average.

It wasn't a problem in AA last year, so hopefully it's just a blip, but definitely something to watch.

Strike throwers who can't get swings and misses in the zone or at least weak contact are going to get eaten alive against the Yankees and Sox disciplined, fastball mashers.

Its less of a concern, and moreso a developmental hurdle imo. The numbers in Buffalo indicated that that was essentially the main (if not only) thing he needed to work on. As you said, there was plenty of strikeouts and swinging strikes in Double-A and A+. Zeuch is the one I'm moreso curious about given the complete lack of K's through the lower levels.

For Borucki, the breaking ball is what needs to continue moving forward. It flashes plus, so there's a good amount of hope there. Would be nice to see a cutter to go along with the slurve (similar to what Marco Gonzales has incorporated). Regardless, him getting knocked around a few times over the next month and a half shouldn't be a cause for concern.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Sure. I'm not arguing that there's no situation in which bringing Solarte back makes sense. I'm saying that, as of right now, with Solarte having a terrible season and at least half a dozen players who are better and cheaper for a similar role, it wouldn't make sense to pick up the option. I'm sure plenty of things will change between now and the time they have to make a decision, and some of those things might even change my opinion on what to do about it. My opinion right now is based on current information.

Pretty much, yeah. I honestly don't feel that strongly about it, but I'm struggling to understand some of the arguments being used to justify it. It's weird to me.

My argument is simple. I dont believe the bold part and i dont think you definitively do as well. Im not willing to write Solarte off based on 4 months or even the 1 calendar year you use.

You try to say that there are at least 6 players who are better and cheaper than Solarte. I dont see that at all. That's the disconnect.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Of course we all have high hopes for our prospects but Borucki is what he is which is a 1+ to 2 WAR pitcher realistically over a season and that is fantastic for your 4th to 5th starter for the low price of 600k. If he is anything more then it is gravy. You hope to get the same floor from SRF. 1.2M from your 4th and 5th starter worth 2-5 WAR is gold. Ill take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->