Blue Jays Discussion: Prospects getting the call! Jansen, Reid-Foley up to the show

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
last one was well over the 1k limit, so it's time to roll things over.

I would hope that perhaps we can leave the eleventy billionth AA/Shapiro-Atkins debate in that thread and not drag it out here though. It's not going to come to a satisfactory end for either side and all it's doing is ticking people off and alienating the fans that either a) don't care about the issue or b) think that both front offices are equally good/bad or have their own separate and distinct positives and negatives.

There's no point to continuing and I'll thank everyone to not continue it here so we can get back on track.

And yes, that includes snarky passive-aggressive comments about one FO or the other when discussing a transaction or prospect or whatever. No more "AA would've traded him for a broken veteran" comments about current prospects, and no more "OMG such depth!" type comments about the system under current management.

Thanks everyone.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Well I might as well try and start this thread in a new direction. I just did a post Trade Deadline Blue Jays top prospect list.

1. Vladimir Guerrero Jr

2. Bo Bichette

3. Danny Jansen

4. Sean Reid Foley
5. Nate Pearson
(Ryan Borucki)

6. Jordan Groshans
7. Eric Pardinho
(Lourdes Gurriel Jr)
8. Kevin Smith

9. Hector Perez
10. Anthony Alford
11. T.J Zeuch
12. Cavan Biggio
13. Chavez Young

14. Adam Kloffenstein
15. Miguel Hiraldo
16. Orelvis Martinez
17. Billy McKinney
18. Rowdy Tellez
19. Forrest Wall
20. Griffin Conine

21. David Paulino
22. Yennsy Diaz
23. Reese McGuire
24. Patrick Murphy
25. Samad Taylor
26. Riley Adams

27. Gabriel Moreno
28. Leonardo Jimenez
29. Kevin Vicuna
30. Josh Winckowski
31. Santiago Espinal
32. Hagen Danner
33. Otto Lopez
34. Thomas Pannone

Last edited:

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
Has anyone done much research on prospects in the 2019 MLB draft? If so, what's the depth of the draft like? Anyone in particular you're hoping the Jays draft?

With the season being a write off, I'm trying to find something positive that I can take out of this season. Hopefully we'll be able to select in the top 5 this year.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Has anyone done much research on prospects in the 2019 MLB draft? If so, what's the depth of the draft like? Anyone in particular you're hoping the Jays draft?

With the season being a write off, I'm trying to find something positive that I can take out of this season. Hopefully we'll be able to select in the top 5 this year.

There isn't a lot. Most coverage generally starts in March or April when the college season starts. There is this from BA after this years draft.

2019 MLB Mock Draft V 0.1: Bobby Witt Jr. Projected First Overall

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Oh ok gotcha. I wasn't sure when there started to be a lot of coverage regarding the draft. Thanks for the link.

Mostly because their season leading up to the draft is the most crucial point in their development. If a guy that is touted ends up struggling then there’s a definite chance he slips. And then of course you have guys who gain helium and rocket up the boards. Way too much variance compared to other professional leagues where players can be unearthed at age 9 as a top prospect and maintain that performance/hype leading up to their draft.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
so with September around the corner which prospects do you hope get a look see.

Tellez
Jansen
Srf

are the three that stand out . hope they get a long look to see how they will cope with the majors.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Blue Jays prospect Rowdy Tellez plays on as mother fights brain cancer
BUFFALO — On the inside of Rowdy Tellez's left wrist, there is a new tattoo.

"Proverbs 31:25," it reads in fresh black ink, an off-season addition for the Buffalo Bisons' 23-year-old first baseman.

" 'She is clothed with strength and dignity and she laughs without fear of the future,' " Tellez explained in the dugout of Coca-Cola Field this week.

It is for his mom, Lori, who is battling cancer. After discovering a lump in her armpit, she was diagnosed with Stage 4 melanoma around December 2016. Little more than a year ago, she called from Tellez's childhood home in Elk Grove, Calif., to tell her son she was cancer-free. But twice since spring training — once in March and once for 10 days in early July — Tellez has travelled more than 4,000 km home to be with his family as the cancer fought back. Today, the Toronto Blue Jays farmhand is rarely away from his phone. Every time he steps on the field — for 90 games this season, heading into play on Friday — he wonders: "When we get back, is my mom going to be alive?"

"Between 2017 and 2018 it's taken a dramatic bad turn for my family with my mom," Tellez said. "She was cancer-free as of, like, June of last year and now we're working with probably a fatal form of brain cancer so we're seeing a different change in all of us in the family and it's affecting me on and off the field, for the better I would say. I know it's a struggle to have my mom in the state that she's in, but everything happens for a reason and I accept that."

Tellez wouldn't say he manages his emotions. He doesn't get to the field and turn them off.

"It's one of those things, you're never going to get away from," he said.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
so with September around the corner which prospects do you hope get a look see.

Tellez
Jansen
Srf

are the three that stand out . hope they get a long look to see how they will cope with the majors.

Pannone probably gets a shot too. He was on the short-list of guys before the season who were looking to get an audition with the Jays at some point this season. And then the suspension happened. His ERA/FIP haven't exactly screamed MLB ready since he got up to Buffalo, but there appear to be things to like in his peripheral stats.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

If anyone has it’d be @TheMadHatTrick

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I would move Estrada and Garcia or leave him in the pen if you cant move him.

Roll with Stroman, Borucki, SRF, Pannone, and Sanchez or Gaviglio if Sanchez isnt healthy. Need to throw these guys in the fire to see if we can trust them to be starter next season or if we need to invest more assets to a better short term solution. Hoping Paulino, Perez, Harris, Zeuch and/or Romano can be options too. If we can get through a season with some variation of those 11 guys then and maybe Happ then maybe you are spending less than 30M on starters instead of around 50M we have been spending the last few seasons.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Former first round pick D J Davis was released last month..
I'm devastated. :)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Toronto Blue Jays' prospects ranked fifth best in majors by MLB Pipeline

Five Blue Jays are considered among MLB’s top 100 prospects with Vladimir Guerrero Jr. ranked best of all. Bo Bichette (ninth), Danny Jansen (73rd), Nate Pearson (90th) and Anthony Alford (92nd) also made the list.

I don't know why it continues to surprise me considering it's standard operating procedure now, but the ongoing underestimating of Danny Jansen is bizarre.

Here's a guy that FG projections right now figure would be at least a league-average offensive player by wRC+ and by scouting is apparently at least a not-atrocious defender and is playing the biggest offensive wasteland of a position in the sport. And he only gets up to 73rd?

This season there are 9 catchers who have gotten 250 PAs and managed to be 100 wRC+ or better. Jansen could fit into that group. And he gets buried on the fringe of the list's back quarter?

Alford peaked way higher than that on less of a track record of success than Jansen has had.

It just feels like there's this constant waiting game by prospect rankers to say "Jansen's not this good, he'll come back down to earth" and rank him conservatively as a result. And then he just keeps on plugging along and doing what he's doing.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Borucki with dat 1.2 fWAR over 6 starts which is a 6.2 pace over 31. not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->