Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You never lose selling high Salt

Sandin really jumping forward on his development path would help solve a lot of problems, we'd have a defensive pipeline going for the first time in decades
Honestly think he just needs some strength and a little seasoning before he's ready for the show. His game is pretty polished.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Honestly think he just needs some strength and a little seasoning before he's ready for the show. His game is pretty polished.

He moves the puck really well

Getting a mobile, puck moving defense behind our forward group would be pretty sweet

A Rielly Dermott Liljegren and Sandin top 4 in a few years would be awesome

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Getting a mobile, puck moving defense behind our forward group would be pretty sweet

Sandin without the puck is very sound too. At such a young age and still putting up points is pretty impressive

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It seems Eemeli Räsänen has not impressed much in his first pre-season games for Jokerit with more than a few Jokerit fans saying his mobility and physicality isn't up to KHL level. And today Jokerit annouced the signing of Karl Stollery so I wouldn't be surprised if he sees more action with Kiekko-Vantaa in Mestis than with Jokerit in KHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviate

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sandin without the puck is very sound too. At such a young age and still putting up points is pretty impressive

He's solid

He'd reminds me a fair bit of Dermott, not as good a skater but with more offensive upside

I liked that pick a fair bit at the time, after the trade down it was him or Beaudin for me

It seems Eemeli Räsänen has not impressed much in his first pre-season games for Jokerit with more than a few Jokerit fans saying his mobility and physicality isn't up to KHL level. And today Jokerit annouced a the signing of Karl Stollery so I wouldn't be surprised if he sees more action with Kiekko-Vantaa in Mestis than with Jokerit in KHL.

Not a good sign

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not a good sign

Purely based on what I've read from him and seen him play for Finnish juniors teams, I think a Liiga team might have been a better environment for him. The situation with Tolvanen was different in that skating wasn't his issue, though he wasn't even among the fastest players in the KHL But with Räsänen it is., in addition to not using his size to his benefit ("too nice"). Even Jokerit coach Lauri Marjamäki is now saying the goal is to make Räsänen into a KHL level player and a professional athlete IN TWO YEARS.

Reactions: saltming and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Purely based on what I've read from him and seen him play for Finnish juniors teams, I think a Liiga team might have been a better environment for him. The situation with Tolvanen was different in that skating wasn't his issue, though he wasn't even among the fastest players in the KHL But with Räsänen it is.

Thanks for that

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I edited the post a bit.

Thanks for that add on

I do wonder if he's ever going to be a KHL level player if his skating doesn't markedly improve, big ice and bad skating isn't a decent mix
I'm surprised about the lack of physicality, that was always seen as one of his strengths rather than a potential issue

Pzz

Oct 18, 2016
Newfoundland
The level of physicality is a big jump even for his size. It’s a learning process to figure out where to pick his spots because there is more space out there. Him being not the fastest may make him slightly hesitant to use his body and risk being out of position. Give him some time to build his confidence and understanding of the new league and we will see what we have :)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The level of physicality is a big jump even for his size. It’s a learning process to figure out where to pick his spots because there is more space out there. Him being not the fastest may make him slightly hesitant to use his body and risk being out of position. Give him some time to build his confidence and understanding of the new league and we will see what we have :)

At the biggest Finnish hockey site jatkoaika.com, people who have followed his junior career are saying that even if he gains mobility, the problem is his reluctance to use his body. His career stats indicate that. He needs to get "meaner" if he wants to break through.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
At the biggest Finnish hockey site jatkoaika.com, people who have followed his junior career are saying that even if he gains mobility, the problem is his reluctance to use his body. His career stats indicate that. He needs to get "meaner" if he wants to break through.
I'm surprised to hear this, because I'm pretty sure I remember reading that he liked to use his physicality to his advantage.

Hopefully these are simply some of the natural growing pains that come with shifting from a Junior league against fellow teenagers to the 2nd best league in the world.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

A Tiny little Bunge though, might be a stretch when the Heavies arrive in town.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm surprised to hear this, because I'm pretty sure I remember reading that he liked to use his physicality to his advantage.

Hopefully these are simply some of the natural growing pains that come with shifting from a Junior league against fellow teenagers to the 2nd best league in the world.

he said it himself in an interview, he loves to use his body and hit people. I cant remember where I saw/heard that interview but for some reason overdrive springs to mind.

Edit: no Gilmour said rasanen likes to use his body on overdrive, that's who it was

Reactions: IBeL34f

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
“A big mobile defensemen with long strides that while look awkward, they are effective…makes quick decision with the puck…on reception, he never hesitates, instead immediately turns to transition up ice and avoid staying stationary. While he doesn’t use his huge frame to be punishing with a nasty edge like he could, he is still a physical presence, stepping up to lay clean hits or rubbing carriers out along the boards. [He] does an excellent job controlling gaps, makes stick-on-puck plays off the rush…is gifted, towering defensemen who can contribute offensively in a way most 6’6” defenders can’t.” – Future Considerations

https://thehockeywriters.com/eemeli-rasanen-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Reactions: IBeL34f

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I always fear bigger prospects going the big ice route if they are slow of foot.

I don't see many developing foot speed out of no where.
But being on nhl ice you can learn to take the proper angles to make use of the sport you have while working on getting more.
I'd prefer him in the OHL and in the north America where our strength and conditioning coaches/skating gurus can work with him.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's solid

He'd reminds me a fair bit of Dermott, not as good a skater but with more offensive upside

I liked that pick a fair bit at the time, after the trade down it was him or Beaudin for me

Not a good sign
I think his skating "issue" is lack of strength. His technique is very good but his first 2 steps are weak, a strength issue imo.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
A Tiny little Bunge though, might be a stretch when the Heavies arrive in town.
Not comparing styles of career patgs but he's 3 inches shorter and, at the age of 18, 7lbs lighter than one of the greatest defensemen in tickets recent history how played in the grab and slash era. Maybe sandin will do well?
:dunno:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think his skating "issue" is lack of strength. His technique is very good but his first 2 steps are weak, a strength issue imo.

It's just the "explosion" part he's lacking, technique and 4-way mobility wise he's really solid

With his passing and IQ I think he's got a ton of upside, just some muscle and gym work needed imo

Between Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren I think we've got the best crop of young defenders developing we've had in my lifetime

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's just the "explosion" part he's lacking, technique and 4-way mobility wise he's really solid

With his passing and IQ I think he's got a ton of upside, just some muscle and gym work needed imo

Between Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren I think we've got the best crop of young defenders developing we've had in my lifetime
Agreed and agreed!
The potential and raw skill we have is drool worthy. And if one of the tanks develop well... :yo:
A home grown defense Corp. When was the last time we did that?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agreed and agreed!
The potential and raw skill we have is drool worthy. And if one of the tanks develop well... :yo:
A home grown defense Corp. When was the last time we did that?

I can't remember the last time we had a homegrown defense (that was good anyway)

About the only fridge that's going okay right now is Gordeev, our hit rate isn't looking great in that regard right now

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I can't remember the last time we had a homegrown defense (that was good anyway)

About the only fridge that's going okay right now is Gordeev, our hit rate isn't looking great in that regard right now
Good distinction on "good homegrown defense".
Agreed on the fridges but I'm not counting rasanen out yet. How long did it take chara to figure it out? (Not comparing anything other than big guys take time). Sens kept redden over chara.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad