Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition - Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think the main thing is he's going to need to put up more than a PPG (possibly into the 70's or 80's in points) and be a top defensive player in the OHL to earn an ELC, and who knows if he's going to take an AHL deal. If he does, then by all means bring him in.

This my main point of contention. Why? Why hold a lack of PP production against a guy who is already one of the best defensive C's in the league, especially if he is producing strongly 5v5?

I looked back. Kadri as a WJC class top 10 pick had like 55-58 non PP points in his U20 year. If a 6th rounder defensive C prospect can get 40+ and not get an ELC due to lack of PP production I think we're using the wrong bar. If he's an 80 point top defensive centre in O the question isn't "does he get an ELC" it's "should we be pencilling him onto the roster"

Reactions: hockeynorth

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This my main point of contention. Why? Why hold a lack of PP production against a guy who is already one of the best defensive C's in the league, especially if he is producing strongly 5v5?

I looked back. Kadri as a WJC class top 10 pick had like 55-58 non PP points in his U20 year. If a 6th rounder defensive C prospect can get 40+ and not get an ELC due to lack of PP production I think we're using the wrong bar. If he's an 80 point top defensive centre in O the question isn't "does he get an ELC" it's "should we be pencilling him onto the roster"

One of the considerations is why is he not playing PP at that level? Even if he was a pure defensive center, Sarnia is not exactly stacked in terms of offensive weapons. Even if he never plays PP at the next level, knowing he has the offensive skills to do it at the OHL level is still important. And all of this was with the consideration that he is one of the top defensive C's in the OHL, and he's not as far as I know. Although that classification is somewhat fuzzy with the information you can gather from the OHL.

Just to put it into context, Toninato was a very similar prospect, but he has a strong offensive game to boot and he was the best defensive center in the NCAA and still could not earn an ELC out of it (from us). We weren't any less deep at center back then than we are right now.

He can not just be the defensive center guy anymore. He should be good enough to get PP time at the OHL level and be able to put up the entire performance you expect out of a 1C in the OHL, not just a shutdown 3C. He's that age, and Sarnia does not exactly have a stud player ahead of him that you would expect to take ice time away from him. He should be able to beat out Ruzicka and Salintri (and Rees) for a 1C job with PP and PK time as a center.

The other thing is his faceoff numbers have never been good enough. He hovers around 50%, but that is not as good as it is in the NHL. The good centers usually can get over 55% at least, simply because there are a lot more players who really suck at taking draws in the OHL as well (so the people who are good have inflated numbers).

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
And all of this was with the consideration that he is one of the top defensive C's in the OHL, and he's not as far as I know. Although that classification is somewhat fuzzy with the information you can gather from the OHL.

Just to put it into context, Toninato was a very similar prospect, but he has a strong offensive game to boot and he was the best defensive center in the NCAA and still could not earn an ELC out of it (from us). We weren't any less deep at center back then than we are right now.

He can not just be the defensive center guy anymore.

The thing is he's not just the defensive center guy any more, he's producing like solid B+ prospects signed to ELC's everywhere outside of the PP. Why use proxies and generalizations? No one said he doesn't have a strong offensive game, infact his 5v5 production would suggest the opposite. If things continue as they are the PP will be the anomaly. He was voted top 3 (3way tied for 3rd) in the WC last year for defensive forwards in the coach's poll. If (unlikely) current paces hold and he finishes with 50+ non-PP points not signing him because "he should be able to do better on the PP" would be self-sabotaging sophistry IMO

Toninato was a 15 point freshman his U20 year, and was a 23 year old looking for an NHL gig when it came time to sign. Not really an applicable case.

Reactions: hockeynorth

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Maybe I have just totally missed the news that he got injured or something, but why hasn't Sandin played any games so far this season??
He injured his thumb in pre-season (Marlies). I believe the diagnosis at the time was 4-6 weeks. He has been skating for the last two-ish weeks. I believe he is scheduled to be game-ready by the first or second week of November at which point the Leafs will need to decide where he plays (Marlies/Greyhounds/Rogle).

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Maybe I have just totally missed the news that he got injured or something, but why hasn't Sandin played any games so far this season??

He was added to the Marlies roster today according to transactions list, im thinking its just some paper work?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
He was added to the Marlies roster today according to transactions list, im thinking its just some paper work?
A possible explanation ?

A player injured during training camp with a NHL club cannot be sent to the minors ?

The AHL transaction page has him sent on loan to the Marlies last Friday.

The same thing happened to Eamon McAdam, who was sent to the Marlies last Wednesday according to the same source.

In McAdam case, CapFriendly shows him as having accumulated $9,946 as a cap hit.

However, in Sandin case, the cap hit is still at $0.

As we sometimes say in French, "mystère et boule de gomme !"

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How's SDA fared on the Petes so far? His numbers look pretty terrible but it's early...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I haven’t seen myself but had a short discussion here that he had looked uninvolved / uninterested for the most part.

Oh wonderful.

Disappointing to hear a kid get a big head like that. That guy has to be swimming upstream constantly to have success.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Oh wonderful.

Disappointing to hear a kid get a big head like that. That guy has to be swimming upstream constantly to have success.

I wonder if that ELC went to a head a bit, he's pretty young.

Regardless the Leafs have a lot of time for the kid to develop. Some interesting potential there.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I wonder if that ELC went to a head a bit, he's pretty young.

Regardless the Leafs have a lot of time for the kid to develop. Some interesting potential there.

Wouldnt be the first kid to go back and have a hard time adjusting to (not to be a jerk) inferior talent.
When you get used to guys being in better spots, skating faster and making overall the smarter play it can be hard to 'play down'.
A bunch of guys complained about it during the lockout that went overseas.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I think I would've rather Sandin in Sweden or dominating OHL for 20-25 mins a game, than getting 10 minutes a game every once in awhile in the AHL.
Tough call to make ! He looked like he could of made the Leaf line-up right out of camp! A bit light but played a simple mistake free game!

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
This is a bug year for Bracco. Not the greatest start with 2 points in 8 games. In the two games I saw him this year, even though he scored, he didn't produce much 5on5. He looks good on the pp. I think its safe to say at this point, Grundstrom is well ahead of him, especially with what he brings. If Bracco doesn't have a great year, I think Engvall and even Timashov may pull ahead of him as well.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think I would've rather Sandin in Sweden or dominating OHL for 20-25 mins a game, than getting 10 minutes a game every once in awhile in the AHL.

Sandin will not be getting 10 minutes a game with the Marlies. Liljegren probably averaged 17 or 18 minutes a game during the regular season last year. Sandin will probably get the same.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

I agree... i don't think Sandin wanted to go back to the Soo, its only reason i can think of. I thought Dubas would send him back to help his hometown team. for sure. He will spend a lot of time with the practice squad and play a handful of games.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This is a bug year for Bracco. Not the greatest start with 2 points in 8 games. In the two games I saw him this year, even though he scored, he didn't produce much 5on5. He looks good on the pp. I think its safe to say at this point, Grundstrom is well ahead of him, especially with what he brings. If Bracco doesn't have a great year, I think Engvall and even Timashov may pull ahead of him as well.

Timashov needs a good year to still be considered relevant. Wasn't a particular standout in his second pro season from what I recall. Would like to see more production in a bigger role from him. He looked good in camp.

5 points in 8 games is solid but 4 of those are PP points and the other is a shorty. Only 9 SOG through 8 games.

Engvall is looking strong - 5 points in 6 games (4 ES points) and a whopping 24 SOG in those 6 games. He and Grundstrom could be pushing for a job sooner than later.

That's a good thing because the Leafs, on the left side, are meh. Marleau's struggles are noted and Johnsson has struggled as well. Lindholm has been good but he's not a long term solution in that spot.

Either Grundstrom or Engvall could do well on Kadri's wing with their speed, grit, and skill.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I've long maintained that Bracco is our most overrated prospect... not surprised by the slow start.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I agree... i don't think Sandin wanted to go back to the Soo, its only reason i can think of. I thought Dubas would send him back to help his hometown team. for sure. He will spend a lot of time with the practice squad and play a handful of games.

He probably plays 45 games plus playoffs and WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad