Prospect WORST Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Hammer Time said:
You have got to be kidding me. Even if Budaj and Svatos graduate like you say, you think Colorado has the worst prospect pool in the league?

1. Wojtek Wolski
2. Brad Richardson
3. Ryan Stoa
4. Paul Stastny
5. Johnny Boychuk
6. Chris Durand
7. T.J. Hensick
8. Tom Fritsche
9. Cody McCormick
10. Denis Parshin

Considering the Avalanche scouting staff has consistently pulled good young players out of nowhere (i.e., Liles, Svatos) I have no worries about the current prospect system or the future of this team.
I don't like the Avs. Never have. But they went and drafted these four highlighted players, all I've been soooo impressed with and surprised if any of them don't become solid NHLers, especially in the faster, skilled new NHL.

As for Minnesota, they have so many youngsters in the line-up now that their lack of present depth in the farm system is immaterial.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
True but I'm kind of concern as always with their defensive depth. Plus some of those youngesters might be up for free agency sooner and Minnesota will have to open their purse string a little wider.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

MadDdy, your entire post is a vortex of seething, overwhelming homerism, but in the interest of time I'm just going to go for the more ridiculous statements.

I love that knock on Kostitsyn. "Hasn't been able to put it together...it's been 2 years"? I could say the same thing about Colaiacovo.

Higgins comparable to Wellwood? They are not remotely similar players, I don't know where you pulled that out of. Wellwood, I guess, is comparable to Plekanec, except for the fact that Plekanec is producing on a 2nd line in the NHL already.

Kostitsyn was overrated. And in a strong draft where he went top 10. He hasnt done anything yet.

Colaiacovo, on the other hand, has done enough in the AHL to graduate to the big league but he's been unfortunate with injuries.

And please dont tell me you just compared a defenseman to a forward. Colaiacovo never had the potential to be a number 1 or 2 D-man, it was unlikely. But alot more was expected from Kostitsyn so dont give me all that...

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Florida are gonna be weak soon, mainly because the top prospects are playing in the nhl now.

All the people who say the leafs are strong are joking, they are average at best.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
MaDdY said:
And please dont tell me you just compared a defenseman to a forward. Colaiacovo never had the potential to be a number 1 or 2 D-man, it was unlikely. But alot more was expected from Kostitsyn so dont give me all that...

And it's still what is expected from Kostitsyn, whatever you meant by "alot more" (I suppose it was 1st line winger potential). You seem to always refer to him as a bust. Give him a break, he's a 2003 draftee and entered the AHL at the age of 19... Wait until the end of the 2005-06 season before making an appropriate judgement.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
anyone else think as long as theres 2 really really good ones for the most part who cares about the rest? one or two top prospects can make u forget the rest...besides u can always get more draft picks in future years.. for example people are citing minnesota...of Pouliot and say Voloshenko who had a hat trick he other day..turn out to be really good.. i dont know if Minny can add too mnay more players in one year.... on the other hand mnay teams have 20 average prospects that could play in the NHL but no where to play them ..so makes for a great AHL team....in short nice to have great prospect depth but i think Better to have a some really good ones.. I bet many teams would give away their entire prospects for a crosby or Ovechkin lol.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
MaDdY said:
The Leafs are far from the worst. I'd ask you to atleast provide evidence.

1. Alex Steen
2. Carlo Colaiacovo
3. Tuukka Rask
4. Jeremy Williams ( He'll be a goal scorer, he'll score 30 in the NHL, mark my words)
5. Robert Earl ( who has great potential )
6. Dmitri Vorobiev ( playing in Russia, he's great...he was trusted to stay on a superstar like Jagr, he's huge too )
7. Phil Oreskovich ( huge, huge defenseman )
8. Ian White ( great shot, think of Rafalski )
9. Staffan Kronwall ( will be reliable defensive d-man )
10. Justin Pogge ( has been amazing for Calgary, good goalie )

They have depth. They're not great but they're good.
Solid group yeah, but youve kinda stated that you think all 10 have a great shot at making the Nhl, when probably 5 or less will make any impact what so ever. Jeremy Williams to be a lock for scoring 30 goal scorer, i wont claim to know much about him, but thats a pretty big reach.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
sehnsucht said:
Dustin Boyd has 12 goals in 10 games for Moose Jaw. Dan Ryder has 22 points in 12 games with Peterborough. Adam Cracknell has 15 points in 12 games for Kootenay. In 03-04, defenceman Tim Ramholt had 36 points in 51 games with Cape Breton. Yuri Trubachev has 6 points in 13 games with Severstal. Richie Regehr has 5 points in 6 games for the Omaha Knights.

lol Sutter hates scoring prospects

On the NHL level, you've got Nystrom as a future 3rd liner and captain, Brandon Prust as Stephane Yelle #2, Krahn as a solid goalie, and Phaneuf as a Norris canditate. Prospect you've never heard of #8382: Tomi Maki, crash-and-bang winger is leading the Knights in points in his first year in the AHL.

I'm happy with the Flames prospect system, especially with an AHL team now. Sutter's done a fine job, all thing's considered.
Yeah, I wouldn't say Calgary has no skill in the system, that said, they are definetaly not the best group of prospects around, in the 20s somewhere for the organizational rankings.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
jcpenny said:
Calgary is the weakest IMO, No Skill in that prospect system. The future isnt bright at all.

Disagree, Flames have the following prospects.

Dustin Boyd (11 games, 14 goals)
Dan Ryder (11 games, 21 points)
Kris Chucko, has potential to be a real good power forward

Eric Nystrom is a decent prospect
Dion Phaneuf is in the NHL but he will become a real decent dman.

of course there is the Russian Prospects, but who knows if they will leave Russia.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
all the prospects you mentioned are no sure things

flambers said:
Disagree, Flames have the following prospects.

Dustin Boyd (11 games, 14 goals)
Dan Ryder (11 games, 21 points)
Kris Chucko, has potential to be a real good power forward

Eric Nystrom is a decent prospect
Dion Phaneuf is in the NHL but he will become a real decent dman.

of course there is the Russian Prospects, but who knows if they will leave Russia.

and they weren't top picks for reason especially chucko who was picked way too high, every team has steals in late rounds that doesn't justify picks they've been wasting other then phaneauf who is defencemen by the way, flames first need is top six skilled forwards and its sad too say they won't get that any time soon.

every team gets to pick every round butoverall flames have done worst with so many high picks compred to other teams picking around their spot.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Jurgy25 said:
What about the Canucks, not much happening with them. Their only really notable guy is Luc Bourdon

If you were just going by forward propsects yes they would be, but they have lots of good defenseman and goalies. They probably have the two best goalies in the Q in Vincent and Ellis-Plante, they have one of the best goalies in the NCAA who's going to be the starter for USA at the WJC in Schneider, They have a solid group of defenseman prospects down with the Moose in Bieska, Skinner, Mojzis, and McIver. They have defenseman Alexander Edler who's one of the top offensive defenseman in the dub right now. They have the Jannik Hansen playing really well for Portland. They have Koltsov who will be really good under the New NHL once he comes back over here. Just today, defenseman Kris Freidheim, a draft pick from last summer's draft was named SJHL player of the month and scoring over a PPG playing mostly against 19 and 20 year olds. Another draft pick from last year, Matt Butcher leads the BCHL in scoring as well as an 18 year old. The Canucks are probably around 20-25, their forwards are the thing keeping them from being in the Top 15 IMO.

petec1978*

That's a great point. And it's the inherent flaw with having fans rank teams' prospects. These fans vote for their own team's guys as well as the top picks that everyone has heard of. Meanwhile, the majority of players who make it to the NHL and actually contribute are not the household name types.

It's not just fans, its the organizational rankings of THN and HF as well which are essentially based on who has the most name first round picks. Depth is almost irrelevant them.

As of last week the Lightning had the 2nd and 9th leading scorers in the WHL. They also had the 2nd leading scorer in the QMJHL. They had a 19 year old goaltender who was statistically leading the SM-liiga in Finland in GAA and sv%. They had the 2nd leading goal scorer in the Russian Superleague. They had the second leading goaltender in the Superleague in GAA, sv% and shutouts. They had an AHL farm team that hadn't lost a game in regulation leading their division (they finally did last night) and three prospects playing in the NHL with the big club as well.

But they'll get no recognition for that because the players I'm talking about were 7th(Keller), 4th(Jones), 5th (Lascek), 6th (Ramo), 9th (Vishnyakov), 8th(Koshechkin), 6th(Ranger), 3rd(Artyukhin) and 9th(Tarnasky) round picks respectively. Notice none of those players are the "name" guys in the Lightning organization. Along with those guys they've got Rogers, Polushin, Egener, Mihalik, Smolenak etc etc. That's real depth... but because the Lightning don't have "names" they will never get a drop of ink from HF or THN or an ounce of respect from Joe Blowhard on the HF prospects board.

PEli*

SuperMan313 said:
PEli said:
You talk about how Nilsson and Kostitsyn haven't done anything but completely ignore the fact that the only NHL regular on your list is Steen...QUOTE]
Matt Stajan.

Since when is Stajan a prospect again? Has he regressed?

Unless you're being sarcastic (ie: if White is still a prospect, Stajan must be too!), that isn't cool.

Flames Will

Aug 2, 2005
Habs4ever said:
and they weren't top picks for reason especially chucko who was picked way too high, every team has steals in late rounds that doesn't justify picks they've been wasting other then phaneauf who is defencemen by the way, flames first need is top six skilled forwards and its sad too say they won't get that any time soon.

every team gets to pick every round butoverall flames have done worst with so many high picks compred to other teams picking around their spot.

Looking back to 1999 draft (which ispretty much the limit on prospect status at age 25)...
1999 (11th overall)- Saprykin - Doing a good job now in Phoenix as a top 6 forward
2000 (9th overall)- Krahn - has developed nicely - injuries slowed his development, but still on track to make the NHL as a decent #1 goalie
2001 (14th overall)- Kobesaw - he has demonstrated that he will be a top 6 forward in the NHL sooner then later, also demonstrated great leadership skills on the Carolina Farm team in Lowell.
2002 (10th overall)- Nystrom - definatly drafted for what he is becoming a high calibre 3rd line defensive forward - there was no misconception about his purpose and he has developed on track.
2003 (9th overall)- Phaneuf - Need I say more?
2004 (24th overall)- Chucko - too early yet to say, but he is looking good...
2005 (16th overall)- Pelech - was projected as a first rounder before a series of injuries sidelined him and reduced his position.

So I would argue that the flames have not drafted well - since 1999 every player has developed at or close to the projection he was drafted for - obviously Phaneuf exceeded those expectations so that makes up for Krahn's under-development...

Then looking at other prospects that have made the NHL or are well on the path to the NHL that is another story - it was not until Sutter took over at the helm that we started seeing a real difference (2003 draft does not really count as Sutter only had input in the first round after that he let his scouts take over) so from 2004 and 2005 draft Sutter has stocked the cupboard really well...
2004 - Chucko, Prust, Boyd, and Seitsonen all demonstrate the talent and skills needed to make it to the NHL
2005 - Too early to tell, but Pelech, Baldwin, Ryder, and Keetley have all done very well at his point in the season.
I would not say the Flames have suffered with the early picks - it was the picks after the first round where the Flames were suffering, and since Sutter took over that deficiency has changed and been corrected with excellent drafting decisions.

Maithz

MaDdY said:
Kostitsyn was overrated. And in a strong draft where he went top 10. He hasnt done anything yet.

Kostitsyn has tremendous offensive skills , but he is weak defensively , he will have to be perfect in his own zone first .

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
MaDdY said:
The Leafs are far from the worst. I'd ask you to atleast provide evidence.

1. Alex Steen
2. Carlo Colaiacovo
3. Tuukka Rask
4. Jeremy Williams ( He'll be a goal scorer, he'll score 30 in the NHL, mark my words)
5. Robert Earl ( who has great potential )
6. Dmitri Vorobiev ( playing in Russia, he's great...he was trusted to stay on a superstar like Jagr, he's huge too )
7. Phil Oreskovich ( huge, huge defenseman )
8. Ian White ( great shot, think of Rafalski )
9. Staffan Kronwall ( will be reliable defensive d-man )
10. Justin Pogge ( has been amazing for Calgary, good goalie )

Anyone that compares White to Rafalski obviously wears very thick blue and white shades!

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Fozz said:
Anyone that compares White to Rafalski obviously wears very thick blue and white shades!

Small. Has a wicked slap shot...smart and good position wise. Theres noone else i can think of.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Vancouver is pretty low and Tampa sucks. However next year if Daley, Miettinen , Jokinin , Lessard and Polak all graduate, the stars will rank low. However guys like Holtet, Hagos, Erikkson and a number of d-men like Grossman, Belle and Fransson could make the show in some capacity and are probably underpublicized. Holtet, a 2nd rounder is making great strides as a2 way player. Personally I am thrilled with the improvement in the young guys.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Boltprospects said:
It's not just fans, its the organizational rankings of THN and HF as well which are essentially based on who has the most name first round picks. Depth is almost irrelevant them.

As of last week the Lightning had the 2nd and 9th leading scorers in the WHL. They also had the 2nd leading scorer in the QMJHL. They had a 19 year old goaltender who was statistically leading the SM-liiga in Finland in GAA and sv%. They had the 2nd leading goal scorer in the Russian Superleague. They had the second leading goaltender in the Superleague in GAA, sv% and shutouts. They had an AHL farm team that hadn't lost a game in regulation leading their division (they finally did last night) and three prospects playing in the NHL with the big club as well.

But they'll get no recognition for that because the players I'm talking about were 7th(Keller), 4th(Jones), 5th (Lascek), 6th (Ramo), 9th (Vishnyakov), 8th(Koshechkin), 6th(Ranger), 3rd(Artyukhin) and 9th(Tarnasky) round picks respectively. Notice none of those players are the "name" guys in the Lightning organization. Along with those guys they've got Rogers, Polushin, Egener, Mihalik, Smolenak etc etc. That's real depth... but because the Lightning don't have "names" they will never get a drop of ink from HF or THN or an ounce of respect from Joe Blowhard on the HF prospects board.
:handclap: Very well said.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Fozz said:
When he says "Ian White - think of Brian Rafalski" he doesn't mean "Ian White will be as good as Brian Rafalski" he means "Ian White will play the same role as Brian Rafalski".

Are you new hear?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Boltprospects said:

Depth when it comes to proepects is nice, but when taking a look and comparign teams, having a one or two studs is more important than having depth.

Old Hickory

Boltprospects said:
Not true. At least the HF part isn't. I can't speak for TSN.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Douggy said:
When he says "Ian White - think of Brian Rafalski" he doesn't mean "Ian White will be as good as Brian Rafalski" he means "Ian White will play the same role as Brian Rafalski".

Are you new hear?

:shakehead
So, in your opinion, White will be a number 1 d-man, a PP quarterback and score 50+ points in the NHL? I suggest you remove your glasses as well.

By the way, I'm not new here. I've read more than enough posts by Leaf fans here to conclude that most of them don't know much about hockey outside of their beloved perennial loosers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->