Prospect Info: Prospect Tier Poll - Blue Chip Tier

Who is the LAST player you feel qualifies to be a blue chip prospect (star/franchise player)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I voted Bjornfot. I absolutely love him, but he doesn't project as a #1 D. Turcotte is still possibly a #1 C, or at the very least still projects as an excellent #2 C and is still a very high-quality prospect. Bjornfot has never been considered a blue-chip prospect, while Turcotte almost certainly was at his draft. Not enough has changed since then for them to swap imo.

P.S. You need to list all of the prospects if you put an other option on there... The answer would obviously be our worst prospect. Because of this I just evaluated the four prospects mentioned...

Of the four players listed, I only consider Byfield and Turcotte to be blue-chip. Obviously, Byfield is a lock without debate and Turcotte is debatable, but I just don't think he can be downgraded in such a short amount of time, he performed just fine and he looks like he has taken his training very seriously. This season will be very important in projecting his ceiling in the NHL and I don't think he's lost what was given to him on draft day until we see more this year...

Last edited:

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
If we're looking for actual potential stars and franchise players only Byfield and maybe Vilardi fit the criteria, in my opinion. Turcotte is a good prospect but a potential franchise centerman? Not sure about that.

I'm a huge Turcotte fan and really hoping he becomes the best player from the '19 draft just to see every other fanbase have a meltdown. But I agree with you, just not sure about him being a franchise centerman. Also, I think I'm the only one to say it and I know I'll get grilled for it, but I'm just not as high on Kaliyev as most people are. Don't get me wrong I love Kaliyev but I just think he's a few years away and may have a hard time with the speed of the NHL. I'm really hoping I'm wrong about both players.

Reactions: BigBrown

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
I'm a huge Turcotte fan and really hoping he becomes the best player from the '19 draft just to see every other fanbase have a meltdown. But I agree with you, just not sure about him being a franchise centerman. Also, I think I'm the only one to say it and I know I'll get grilled for it, but I'm just not as high on Kaliyev as most people are. Don't get me wrong I love Kaliyev but I just think he's a few years away and may have a hard time with the speed of the NHL. I'm really hoping I'm wrong about both players.
I think Turcotte is going to be a very very good 2nd line center

Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I think Turcotte is going to be a very very good 2nd line center

Yes and that's not a bad thing. If he becomes a consistent 65 to perhaps 70 point producer every year I'd be happy. Average 20 goals and maybe 45 assists along with playing a great two way game showing tremendous leadership, would be absolutely fantastic for me. Of course it would be great if he becomes better obviously, but I'd be okay with this kind of production.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If Turcotte was slightly overrated heading into draft day, he is significantly underrated today. He is most certainly a blue chip prospect. I drew the line with him, as I’m not sure what Bjornfot will be.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Yes and that's not a bad thing. If he becomes a consistent 65 to perhaps 70 point producer every year I'd be happy. Average 20 goals and maybe 45 assists along with playing a great two way game showing tremendous leadership, would be absolutely fantastic for me. Of course it would be great if he becomes better obviously, but I'd be okay with this kind of production.

I just want to point out that you just described Anze Kopitar and that would qualify as much more than a 2nd line center.

Reactions: Token

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I just want to point out that you just described Anze Kopitar and that would qualify as much more than a 2nd line center.

Lol. Is that really Kopi's average. Not trying to be sarcastic I figure he'd average a bit more. Okay I guess I need to lower the numbers. But you know what I mean.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Still can't believe anyone who has actually seen both play could rate Vilardi above Turcotte. Vilardi is a hell of a prospect, but its not particularly close. Turcotte checks twice as many boxes, with comparable high end skill. Better skater, much more competitive, wider range of influence on the ice, especially in transition - just a more impactful player.
Vilardi has played NHL games, had a significant impact and has elite game IQ. He’s demonstrated he can translate his games to the NHL and is still playing catch-up after his time out. Turcotte could end up being the better player and I’ve never been down on him at all but as of right now I rate Vilardi higher.

Turcotte I am sure will do very well and it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he sticks after camp and I end up very quickly moving him ahead of Vilardi in my ranking. Not now though, no way.

Token

May 15, 2019
I don’t care where Turcotte’s numbers project. Is he a 50 point or 70 point guy - don’t care.

What makes him so exciting and a Blue-Chip in my eyes, the few rookie camp games we saw him play after he was drafted -

- he was exciting on the ice. He drove the play forward. He had me on the edge of my seat every shift and he was dragging his line with him. He was dangerous every time he entered the O-zone.

Turcotte single handedly did more to get me excited and engaged into this rebuild with the kind of hockey I want to watch and support than any other prospect drafted by the Kings.

Granted, Byfield has a chance to take that crown when we see him on Kings ice with our players and not just highlight reels.

Anyway, that’s my personal journey with Turcotte to date. Hope he keeps it up and takes the next step.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Would it be worth re-doing this thread to give people a chance to sync their definitions of blue chip? It seems like there’s a few different definitions people are going with and it may be muddling the results. Kings Pawn did list his definition which seems to be of a slightly higher standard than some seem to have interpreted it, and with others arguing about the definition it seems like they may have overlooked his criteria.

Happy to be shot down if most don’t agree, but thought I’d float it out there.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Would it be worth re-doing this thread to give people a chance to sync their definitions of blue chip? It seems like there’s a few different definitions people are going with and it may be muddling the results. Kings Pawn did list his definition which seems to be of a slightly higher standard than some seem to have interpreted it, and with others arguing about the definition it seems like they may have overlooked his criteria.

Whilst I don’t agree with the definition, it would make me change my vote as Byfield is the only Franchise level guy in the system.

Reactions: David Lunch

Token

May 15, 2019

Nah, Brah! That was weeks ago to bring this up.

Keep up or deal with it.

It’s my way or the Highway. ;)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

That's one suggested. Though like anything, people will have their own definition. It's like with prospect rankings: some judge "best prospect" by upside. Some go by NHL readiness.

I figure people can use whatever criteria they'd like. And there are a few days of the polls for people to debate and change their votes.

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
Are people understanding this question correctly? Am I? As of right now,according to this poll,most people believe Vilardi to be the best of the bunch. While I don't necessarily disagree, it goes in contrast to the previous poll. Where people had it 1:Byfield & 2: Vilardi etc all the way to 40.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Are people understanding this question correctly? Am I? As of right now,according to this poll,most people believe Vilardi to be the best of the bunch. While I don't necessarily disagree, it goes in contrast to the previous poll. Where people had it 1:Byfield & 2: Vilardi etc all the way to 40.

You're not understanding the question.

The poll is "who is the last" player who fits in this tier, which determines the cut off point.

So when the poll ends, it will look like this:

Blue Chip:
1. Quinton Byfield
2. Gabriel Vilardi
3. Alex Turcotte

Next poll will be the "A-list" prospects, which will start at Bjornfot and go down to maybe the 10th/11th ranked prospect, and you'll choose the cut off point for that tier, and so on.

Reactions: BlackMetalED

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Lol. Is that really Kopi's average. Not trying to be sarcastic I figure he'd average a bit more. Okay I guess I need to lower the numbers. But you know what I mean.

No worries. By my calculation, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Kopitar's career NHL season averages are 67.8 points per season and 23.7 goals per season.

Anyways, I do know exactly what you mean and I am there with you. I still think Turcotte will get to at least where you were trying to describe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->