Proposal: Prospect Swap-Daniel Sprong for one of Fox, Kylington, or Andersson

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
I think it's rather obvious at this point that the pens need some help on defense, and the flames need a right shot right winger badly. The flames have a wealth of solid defense prospects in Adam Fox, Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Andersson, and Juuso Valimaki(not getting traded) that could potentially be traded for offensive help. Fox and Andersson are both RD, and Kylington is a LD. Andersson is arguably our most NHL ready prospect, and he will be playing in the NHL next year almost certainly. Kylington is also ready IMO(both play in the AHL) whereas Fox is still in the NCAA, but he is putting up almost unheard of numbers offensively as a defenseman. Andersson is solid defensively, and is a powerplay quarterback, whereas Kylington is a much smoother skater and puck carrying type defensiveman(at least from what i've heard, haven't watched him as much).

Pens fans, would you do this trade? And if so, which calgary defensive prospect would best fit your needs? I can see Calgary and Pitts as good trading partners.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Pens fan. I think Kessel and Sprong's skill sets are redundant so I'd be open to it. I haven't seriously studied your prospects but I feel like Andersson is the best swap. Either that, or maybe some sort of bigger trade involving Hamilton and Kessel I feel like could work. You would have to use Andersson to replace Hamilton and us use Sprong to replace Kessel; maybe some draft picks round things out... but I think it's a starting off point .

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
I would trade Andersson for Sprong, although I think I would rather trade Kylington or Fox, because Valimaki imo has overtaken Kylington on the depth chart(or soon will) and Fox isn't NHL ready yet. It makes sense that if Sprong hasn't gotten significant nhl time yet, the pens might be open to moving him for some defensive help, of which Rasmuss Andersson or Kylington could be immediate help. I'll let other flames fans who've watched our prospects much more then I have comment on regards to upside(s).

As for Kessel for Hamilton, not gonna happen IMO. Kessel is a better player than Hamilton, but the age difference makes this bad for Calgary, and filling the hole kessel would leave for the pens in the next few years wouldn't be good for trying to make more cup runs..

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I see Kylington as the defensive version of Sprong.
Both are really high skill players and I don't think either will make an impact at the NHL level

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
I think if we were to trade Andersson for Sprong it would make more sense for Fox to sign with us after college.
That is definitely true. I would be fine with trading any of the 3 for sprong TBH, although I think I would be most apt to let Kylington go for him. I can just imagine Sprong with Gaudreau as being a good fit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It would have to be Sprong for Andersson for me to bite. Rutherford said today that Sprong will be a regular for the Penguins next year, so I'm not sure how likely it is that he'll be traded. If he is, I'd want a D prospect equivalent to him: NHL ready with top-4 potential. I don't consider Kylington or Fox NHL ready, so it has to be Andersson.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I'm not super high on giving up Andersson. I really think he's going to have a good year in the NHL next season and think he'll be a mainstay in the Flames Top 4 for years to come.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm not super high on giving up Andersson. I really think he's going to have a good year in the NHL next season and think he'll be a mainstay in the Flames Top 4 for years to come.

How is trading Andersson for a guy as skilled as Daniel Sprong "giving up on him"?

Sprong has every skill needed to fill a major hole in the Flames' lineup.

Reactions: Owen Doty

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
How is trading Andersson for a guy as skilled as Daniel Sprong "giving up on him"?

Not "Giving up" in this context meaning I am very high on Andersson and don't want to lose him. Yes, I think Sprong would be a great piece to have, but I'd much rather give up either of the other two names in this thread than Andersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad