• Larmi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Airola

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like Marino is skewering the Maniscalco projection around here.

Going Puust until he's gone here.

The excitement about Maniscalco baffles me a little. I'm happy we've got him but we know the road from NCAA to NHL is bumpy, and that NCAA numbers can be v misleading, and I feel like some people have him as a near can't miss probable quick impact guy without really knowing why. And I'm even more baffled when I look at the relative levels of excitement over Maniscalco vs Lee, when Lee's been namechecked as being in line for a shirt and Maniscalco hasn't.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Maniscalco is getting some extra hype because he went the same route that Adam Johnson went. The Penguins made a big deal that Johnson left school a year earlier than expected, and they claimed that he would have been one of the top UDFAs in the next year had he stayed in school for another year. I think the same thing applies to Maniscalco. He had 32 points in 36 games as a mostly 20 year old sophomore last year, and I think he would have had a very big junior year if not for turning pro.

I don't think Maniscalco is a substantially better prospect than Lee, but I do have Maniscalco here and Lee around 10th. I don't know what to think of Puustinen personally. On one hand, that level of production in the Liiga is extremely impressive. On the other hand, the last overage prospect who made me interested based on production in Europe was Linus Olund, who was an absolute bust when he went to the AHL.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think we'll really know what we have in Puustinen until he hits North American ice, but I think he's got a lot more potential than Olund. Olund was a useful guy with a lot of useful little attributes who might have become another Blueger. Puustinen's got a lot of raw speed and skill. Obviously pinch of salt because of the limited viewings but I think Puustinen's probably got the highest ceiling of anyone left on this list. Just a lot of uncertainty on whether he'll hit it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think we'll really know what we have in Puustinen until he hits North American ice, but I think he's got a lot more potential than Olund. Olund was a useful guy with a lot of useful little attributes who might have become another Blueger. Puustinen's got a lot of raw speed and skill. Obviously pinch of salt because of the limited viewings but I think Puustinen's probably got the highest ceiling of anyone left on this list. Just a lot of uncertainty on whether he'll hit it.

I definitely agree with this, but Olund was also an absolute bust when he came to North America. I'm not even sure if the Penguins still own his rights at this point. I do think Puustinen has a much higher ceiling, but that higher ceiling won't matter if he can't even cut it on NA ice like Olund did.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I definitely agree with this, but Olund was also an absolute bust when he came to North America. I'm not even sure if the Penguins still own his rights at this point. I do think Puustinen has a much higher ceiling, but that higher ceiling won't matter if he can't even cut it on NA ice like Olund did.

I'd presume the Pens don't have Olund's rights anymore since they released him, but don't take my word on it.

Part of me wonders what would have happened if he'd stuck - his season wasn't the worst for a guy pitched in at AHL bottom 6, we've seen guys progress from there. But guess he preferred Sweden.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
And I'm even more baffled when I look at the relative levels of excitement over Maniscalco vs Lee, when Lee's been namechecked as being in line for a shirt and Maniscalco hasn't.

Yeah I feel like they probably have the same odds of becoming an NHL-regular, yet one's walking away with this and the other has zero votes :laugh:

Reactions: Peat

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
This is how I see it, in regards to NHL upside:
  1. Lee, the highest upside
  2. Maniscalco
  3. Reilly, the lowest upside
And this is how I see their probability of reaching said upside:
  1. Maniscalco, the highest
  2. Reilly
  3. Lee, the lowest
I may have worded that oddly, but I think you'll get my point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->