• Larmi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Airola

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Bjorkqvist having a good start in the Finnish league. Will likely have him climb a few spots in my rankings.

You want to be 18th like Marino last year. That tells you how much our voting is off. So my bet is that someone that is further down this list turns out better than all of them. Watch it be someone like Lee.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
You want to be 18th like Marino last year. That tells you how much our voting is off. So my bet is that someone that is further down this list turns out better than all of them. Watch it be someone like Lee.
Wasn’t Marino acquired after the prospect voting had already started? Or maybe I’m thinking of another year.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Wasn’t Marino acquired after the prospect voting had already started? Or maybe I’m thinking of another year.

Someone said he was 18th ranked prospect on our rankings. I just took them at their word but I will go back and check.

Actually I just went back and checked and Marino was the 18th ranked prospect. Like I said our voting and knowledge of these guys was proved pretty worthless. How we view these guys and what the Pens scouting department thinks of them could be drastically different. I could see someone like Lee being much higher than we will have him. I just used him as an example because it could be many. I just wouldn't be surprised if someone way down our poll becomes much better than the guys we rank higher. Our track record for this over the years hasn't been very good. Sprong and Pouliot and others have been number 1 while players like Guentzel and others been ranked well below them. Like I am not near as high on Legare as others. I hope I am wrong but I think he will be a bust. My hope is Legare is potting 30 goals a year and people will bring up this post in my face. I would never be happier to be wrong.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Marino was acquired late in the voting for the prospect threads, so to say "he was 18th so people here are stupid" is way wrong.

He wouldn't have been super highly regarded by people here, but where he finished last year is solely due to him being acquired after voting was already nearly finished.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Marino was acquired late in the voting for the prospect threads, so to say "he was 18th so people here are stupid" is way wrong.

He wouldn't have been super highly regarded by people here, but where he finished last year is solely due to him being acquired after voting was already nearly finished.
This is what I meant in my previous post. That he wasn’t available to vote for at the start of the voting.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

I am not calling anyone stupid. It is that we don't know these prospects nearly as well as we think. Many of our top listed prospects became busts while others further down the lists became some of our best players such as Rust and Guentzel. I know even if he was here on time Marino wouldn't of made our top 10 list and that is me included in that. So I am not calling people out but just stating how worthless these things tend to be. Still fun in seeing how we do. Just don't be surprised if someone like a Lee or Lindgren end up being the shocking surprise prospects that we had way down the list turn out to be better than our much higher ranked players on our list.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Marino's not a great example of of the collective ability to evaluate prospects as we barely had any time to evaluate him, as pointed out above.

But yes. You can go back to the prospect voting threads in the past and see plenty of examples where the consensus was wrong in the long run.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was certainly digging Marino's skating in the clips that I saw. Though, with his low offensive output at college, I don't think I would've rated him top 10. But who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->