[PROSPECT RANKINGS] Top 10 OHL Prospects for the 2010 NHL Entry Draft

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
1. LC | Taylor Hall | 91L | Windsor Spitfires | 6.00 | 198 |
08/09 RS: 63GP | 38G | 52A | 90P | +29 | 60PIM |
08/09 PO: 8GP | 8G | 8A | 16P | +3 | 8 PIM |

Taylor Hall has had the definition of an up and down season this year. After a tremendous start to the year where he really elevated his game from his rookie season, Hall completely fell off the map after being cut from the Team Canada U20 team. Hall is a very explosive skater who has good offensive skill and really has the ability to use his speed to change the complexion of a game. However Hall really needs to work on some of the finer points of the game. I think his hockey sense isn’t overly strong and his defensive play leaves a lot to be desired. While his +/- my indicate otherwise, Hall is very prone to turning the puck over at highly inopportune times and he has been really sheltered by playing for a very strong Windsor team in this regard.

2010 Outlook: Right now Hall is definitely one of a couple players who is going to be contending for the top pick in the draft. Hall needs to understand that nothing is guaranteed for him, and that he really needs to work on some of the finer points in his game as well as his consistency if he wants to be selected first overall in 2010.

2. RD | Eric Gudbranson | 92 | Kingston Frontenacs | 6.03 | 195 |
08/09 RS: 63GP | 3G | 19A | 22P | -16 | 69PIM |

This is going to be one of the players to keep an eye on next season as Gudbranson could be a player who has a shot to rise all the way up to the top of the NHL draft board. An extremely mature kid, Gudbranson has all of the tools that should make him a very good NHL defenseman. He is a terrific skater for his size and plays a very smart game. In the defensive zone he is not afraid to use his body and utilizes his pokecheck well. Meanwhile, despite the fact that his numbers could be better, Gudbranson has a very good shot and definitely has the tools to run a powerplay at the NHL level.

2010 Outlook: Gudbranson really needs to work on filling out his frame over the summer and just improving some of the finer points in his game. Next year, if he is able to play with some increased confidence he could even get some major consideration for the U20 team. Gudbranson is a player that has tremendous potential, and he could really be a guy that puts himself in that category of being a Top pick in the draft.

3. RC | Tyler Seguin | 92 | Plymouth Whalers | 6.00 | 170 |
08/09 RS: 61GP | 21G | 46A | 67P | +14 | 28PIM |
08/09 PO: 9GP | 5G | 11A | 16P | +4 | 6 PIM |

Seguin is a player who was a bit of a wildcard this season. There are a few rumours that he was only willing to report to a couple teams, but there is no doubt that his season in Plymouth has been a successful one. A highly skilled player, Seguin’s biggest strength is his hockey sense and patience with the puck to wait for plays to develop. While he isn’t the flashiest player, he makes things happen when he’s in the offensive zone. I was a little hesitant to have him this high as I really felt he was the product of playing with one of the top players in the league in Chris Terry, but his play in the playoffs has really made me feel more comfortable slotting him in here. He has arguably been Plymouth’s top player in the playoffs and has been tremendous in their series with Windsor thus far.

2010 Outlook: Next year there will be a lot of pressure on Seguin to improve his numbers without the help of players like Chris Terry and Matt Caria. If he can put together another productive season and work on building up strength and improving his skating, he will definitely be a player that should attract a lot of Top 10/15 interest.

4. RC | John McFarland | 92 | Sudbury Wolves | 6.00 | 192 |
08/09 RS: 58GP | 21G | 31A | 52P | -30 | 36PIM |
08/09 PO: 6GP | 1G | 3A | 4P | -1 | 2PIM |

I will be quick to point out that I am far from a McFarland believer, but despite my skepticism, he does have a considerable amount of pro potential. McFarland is likely one of the top skaters in the entire CHL right now as he can flat out fly. In addition to his speed, he also has an extremely lethal shot with a tremendous release that is already NHL caliber. While this may sound tantalizing, the concerns start coming in now. McFarland’s hockey sense is average at best as he often looks lost on the ice, especially in his own end. Furthermore, he really doesn’t see plays well in the offensive zone and a lot of potential opportunities are missed out as a result of this. His hands are not really in sync with his speed and shot and will definitely be a concern moving forward.

2010 Outlook: McFarland can really make or break his draft stock next season. NHL teams will see him as a player who they can make into something with great NHL coaching, so if he can improve on his numbers, he could definitely be a high pick. Personally, he needs to show me a lot more before I’m taking him in the Top 15.

5. LC | Steve Shipley | 92 | Owen Sound Attack | 6.02 | 200 |
08/09 RS: 63GP | 16G | 23A | 39P | -22 | 19PIM |
08/09 PO: 4GP | 0G | 0A | 0P | -5 | 0PIM |

Shipley is a player who is flying under the radar a bit right now as a result of playing in a small market in Owen Sound. However be sure to keep this name in mind next season as he could definitely be a player that really makes a name for himself in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He’s a big guy who is just a very solid all around player that competes hard on the ice. While he looked a little bit raw this year and might have been a little uncomfortable with the increased size and speed of the OHL, I think his adjustment period is over now and he should show why he has a lot of pro potential next year.

2010 Outlook: Shipley will need to continue to work on his skating over the summer and just adding on muscle to his frame. If he can come out and continue to play a physical style in addition to his offensive game, he will catch the eye of scouts quickly.

6. LC | Joey Hishon | 91L | Owen Sound Attack | 5.10 | 166 |
08/09 RS: 65GP | 37G | 44A | 81P | +5 | 34 PIM|
08/09 PO: 4GP | 4G | 3A | 7P | -5 | 6PIM |

I really like Hishon as a player, and he’s taken some significant steps in his game this season but the question will be how well is his game going to adapt to professional hockey. He is a very crafty player who really has some tremendous skill. He sees the ice well and is a pretty potent sniper in his own right. He plays his own end fairly well and at this point there really isn’t that much not to like about his game. The real problem is how his size will hold up at the next level. He’s extremely slight and he can really be negated if a team focuses on hitting him and thus it’s hard to question if he can be a successful Top 6 forward at the NHL level.

2010 Outlook: With Hishon’s size already being a major concern, it is very important for Hishon not to regress or stagnate next year. He needs to take the next step and work his way up as one of the league scoring leaders to show the scouts that he is a legitimate first round pick.

7. RC | Jared Knight | 92 | London Knights | 5.11 | 180 |
08/09 RS: 67GP | 15G | 15A | 30P | +13 | 60 PIM |
08/09 PO: 9GP | 3G | 0A | 3P | +5 | 2PIM |

This year has been a very successful one for Jared Knight despite the fact that he has seen very little ice time. A little bit undersized, Knight is a player that has very good speed and great offensive instincts to accompany that speed. One of the things to really like about Knight is that he certainly doesn’t shy away from the rough stuff and is not afraid to lay the body in any situation. The only real question about Knight is, how good is he?

2010 Outlook: Answering that question will be up to Knight next season. With the graduation of John Tavares and Justin Taylor, he will be given an opportunity to play on the top two lines next year. Knight needs to show that he has elite skill when that opportunity is bestowed upon him.

8. RW | Tyler Toffoli | 92 | Ottawa 67’s | 6.00 | 181 |
08/09 RS: 54GP | 17G | 29A | 46P | E | 16PIM |
08/09 PO: 7GP | 2G | 6A | 8P | +3 | 4PIM |

Toffoli is a very unassuming player that has been flying under the radar a bit. He’s extremely smart and is always in good position on the ice in any of the three zones. While he isn’t the most physical player, he does compete for loose pucks and works hard on the boards. His offensive skill is very good and he has a great touch around the net. In the playoffs he really turned up his game and was one of Ottawa’s best players which was a very pleasant surprise.

2010 Outlook: With the loss of players like Logan Couture, Toffoli is going to be given a shot to carry a lot more weight for the 67’s next year. He definitely has the ability to be a big time point producer in the OHL and much like Knight, if he can show that he will be given a lot of attention by NHL scouts.

9. RW | Austin Watson | 92 | Windsor Spitfires | 6.03 | 171 |
08/09 RS: 63GP | 10G | 19A | 29P | +15 | 41PIM |
08/09 PO: 8GP | 0G | 2A | 2P | +2 | 6PIM |

I’ve seen Watson a few times this season and while I realize that he hasn’t seen very much ice time in Windsor, I would not be surprised if he doesn’t turn out as well as some are expecting him to. He’s a very raw kid both physically and skill wise. He does have some flashes of brilliance and a lot of people see some major upside in his size, but he will need to put it together in the near future to show that that potential is legitimate. I’m not really comfortable saying he’ll be a bust, but I will definitely be keeping my eye on Watson from the get go next year.

2010 Outlook: He could be a player that might go in the Top 10 or the mid second round. A lot of his draft stock will be hinging on really elevating his game next season, so Watson will really need to work on bulking up this summer so that he can bring his play to the next level.

10. LC | Andrew Yogan | 91L | Erie Otters | 6.03 | 202 |
08/09 RS: 51GP | 22G | 20A | 42P | +15 | 56PIM |

After being dealt from Windsor to Erie, Yogan really thrived with the increased ice time and role within the team. He’s a big body and he competes hard which are two very attractive things from the outset. Yogan has some pretty good offensive instincts as well. He drives the net and is willing to pay the price and it was very nice to see him really thrive in Erie prior to suffering a season ending injury. One of the concerns I have for Yogan is that his hockey sense is not spectacular and I really question how well he can play within a professional system.

2010 Outlook: Yogan needs to show that there are no lingering effects from his concussion that ended his season early. He will be given a very significant role in Erie’s offense next season and he really needs to take that opportunity and run with it.

Honourable Mentions:
Two players who I feel are definitely going to be guys to watch out for next year are Freddie Hamilton of the Niagara Ice Dogs and Gregg McKegg of the Erie Otters. Hamilton is a player who I’ve been very high on since his draft year, and he really elevated his game towards the end of the season. He works hard and has a lot of talent and could definitely be a major riser next year.

McKegg was the 2nd overall pick last year, and he really struggled with the physicality of the OHL game. However don’t forget about this kid, after really coming on late in the year and in the playoffs, McKegg is a player with high end skill and could very well be a player that breaks out big time in 09/10.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
For me, the most impressive 1992 born player I've seen this season, has been Jeff Skinner in Kitchener. As of right now, even with some size issues (not any different than a guy like Hishon), he's right there in the top 5. I'd be very curious as to your reasoning for keeping him out.

I'd also be interested as to your reasoning for not having J.P. Anderson in your top 10. I haven't seen a 92 goaltender as good as Anderson is in quite some time, at least for the OHL. He improved greatly as the season has gone along and is pretty much the reason why Missy escaped the first round and is putting up a great fight against Brampton. Playoff performances are very important and I think Anderson is another guy worthy of top 5 mention on a list this early.

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
I'd say you've done a credible job. As an Attack fan I hope your projection for Shipley is correct. If he shows the same improvement as Hishon in his sophmore year we will have a nice 1-2 punch down the middle.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
For a while now, I've been wishing that Phoenix could draft Gudbranson with this year's pick. He'll likely(hopefully) be out of our range next season, and we really need that potential top defenseman in our system.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
For me, the most impressive 1992 born player I've seen this season, has been Jeff Skinner in Kitchener. As of right now, even with some size issues (not any different than a guy like Hishon), he's right there in the top 5. I'd be very curious as to your reasoning for keeping him out.

I'd also be interested as to your reasoning for not having J.P. Anderson in your top 10. I haven't seen a 92 goaltender as good as Anderson is in quite some time, at least for the OHL. He improved greatly as the season has gone along and is pretty much the reason why Missy escaped the first round and is putting up a great fight against Brampton. Playoff performances are very important and I think Anderson is another guy worthy of top 5 mention on a list this early.

I don't think Skinner brings it enough and he's not very big. As for Anderson, same thing. He's a 5'10" goalie and his quickness isn't that good.

They may be very good OHL players, but in terms of pro potential, I'm not sure they have a lot of it.

Anderson would be the better out of the two IMO, though. I'll keep a close eye on him Friday however.

I forgot to add Spooner as an HM, but he's a lot better than Skinner as well.

Last edited:

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Nice list and thanks. I mainly see the guys in the East so it's nice to have a heads up on who to look for in the West.
Any DeHaans out ther this year in the 92's who didn't play in the O this year ?

JeffYear92*

Jeff Skinner needs to be on this list no doubt

he was so good this year as a 16 year old

he deserved everything he got

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Devante Smith-Pelly could make his way into this talk if he continues his solid play. I agree with your view on McFarland his play is kind of "Russianesque" in that he doesn't pay to much attension to defensive details and he is purely a sniper wih tunnel vision. He does however have amazing speed and a great shot as you mentioned.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
Devante Smith-Pelly could make his way into this talk if he continues his solid play. I agree with your view on McFarland his play is kind of "Russianesque" in that he doesn't pay to much attension to defensive details and he is purely a sniper wih tunnel vision. He does however have amazing speed and a great shot as you mentioned.

Great observation on DSP, he's definitely another guy to really watch out for next year.

Let's just hope he doesn't get Casey Cizikas syndrome.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is Hall really 198? I know he laid out Tavares but he still looks like a wirry kid out there.

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
Thought the assesment of Hall was right on the money. Feast or famine player, explosive game changing ability but he turns the puck over alot. Gets away with murder from a defensive standpoint because of the talent he plays with. Who doesn't drool over the offensive potential though.

Canuck71*

2010 is already looking like one hell of a year for OHL prospects. Putting Seguin ahead of McFarland is definitely putting a serious point out there, not necessarily saying I disagree with you because Seguin has been incredible in the playoffs so far.

I think Joey Hishon deserves to be ranked up there a bit higher. He could arguably be the most electrifying player in this draft that knows how to put the puck in the net. Also Joe Rogalski from Sarnia could potentially be a big climber in the rankings.

Here's some other OHL names that people should keep an eye on next year (Aside from fatums top 10) :
Mike Sgarbossa
Ryan O'Connor
Stephen Silas
Greg McKegg
Tyler Mort
Jeff Skinner
Devante Smith-Pelly
JP Anderson
Freddie Hamilton
Ryan Martindale
Ryan Spooner
Gregg Sutch
Joe Rogalski
Nathan Chiarlitti
Brock Beukeboom

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
I agree with your ranklings for the most part, I do beleive Hall is very overated though. I have seen Hall play many times during the Regular season and every game in the Plymouth series. Hall has been clearly outplayed by Tyler Seguin, Seguin has been better in all aspects of the game throughout the series. It would not surprise me ta all to see drop when it comes draft time next year. Hall does have potential to be a very good NHL player but he has to work on alot of things. During the PLymouth series Hall has been outmuscled in the corners many times. During Game 4 Hall was cleary put into the Plymouth bench. Hall has not looked like offensive leader for the Spitfires. Seguin has really stepped up his game for the playoffs and has been the main offensive contributor for the Whalers. Some posters write that Seguin is carried by his linemates but after seeing tons of games of Seguin playing its clear to me that Seguin is the one setting up his Plymouth Linemates. I may sound crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if Seguin is ranked higher then Hall come draft time next year.:)

JeffYear92*

Yes and that's fine, but this is the NHL Entry Draft.

Putting up big numbers in junior doesn't mean everything.

did you actually watch any of the ranger games this year

him and pvb were the heart and soul of the team

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
I agree with your ranklings for the most part, I do beleive Hall is very overated though. I have seen Hall play many times during the Regular season and every game in the Plymouth series. Hall has been clearly outplayed by Tyler Seguin, Seguin has been better in all aspects of the game throughout the series. It would not surprise me ta all to see drop when it comes draft time next year. Hall does have potential to be a very good NHL player but he has to work on alot of things. During the PLymouth series Hall has been outmuscled in the corners many times. During Game 4 Hall was cleary put into the Plymouth bench. Hall has not looked like offensive leader for the Spitfires. Seguin has really stepped up his game for the playoffs and has been the main offensive contributor for the Whalers. Some posters write that Seguin is carried by his linemates but after seeing tons of games of Seguin playing its clear to me that Seguin is the one setting up his Plymouth Linemates. I may sound crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if Seguin is ranked higher then Hall come draft time next year.:)
You don't sound crazy, you just sound like a Plymouth fan:nod:

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
2010 is already looking like one hell of a year for OHL prospects. Putting Seguin ahead of McFarland is definitely putting a serious point out there, not necessarily saying I disagree with you because Seguin has been incredible in the playoffs so far.

I think Joey Hishon deserves to be ranked up there a bit higher. He could arguably be the most electrifying player in this draft that knows how to put the puck in the net. Also Joe Rogalski from Sarnia could potentially be a big climber in the rankings.

Here's some other OHL names that people should keep an eye on next year (Aside from fatums top 10) :
Mike Sgarbossa
Ryan O'Connor
Stephen Silas
Greg McKegg
Tyler Mort
Jeff Skinner
Devante Smith-Pelly
JP Anderson
Freddie Hamilton
Ryan Martindale
Ryan Spooner
Gregg Sutch
Joe Rogalski
Nathan Chiarlitti
Brock Beukeboom

No doubt, it will be very interesting to see how a lot of these guys do next season because the 92 OHL crop is looking very strong right now.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
what round do you see Justin Shugg going in?

It's tough to say because Shugg is a pretty soft, perimeter type player.

One thing that Shugg does have is a very good shot and he's a pretty adept playmaker, too.

I think a lot will depend on how Windsor uses him next year. If he sees consistent time on the top two lines, which he probably will, he should definitely be a guy that can hover around PPG.

With that being said, I think anywhere from the third-fifth would be likely for him.

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
You don't sound crazy, you just sound like a Plymouth fan:nod:

I may prefer the Whalers over the Spits but I dont like judging players just by the teams that I like, heres is a small fact about the two in the first 4 games of the series

Hall has been involved and contributed a point in only 19% of Windsor's goals

Seguin has been involved and contributed a point in 42% of Plymouth's goals

This just shows that Seguin means a lot more to his team when it comes to offense

Just because Hall can put up a few points when the Spits score 8 goals a game doesn't mean to much to me. Its easy to look at the stat sheets after the game and the league leaders but if you have been watching this series it clear that Seguin is making a much bigger impact:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad