Prospect Info: Prospect Ranking #3

#3 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The Hallander fans have convinced me he's the guy here. I'm a little uhm at the way he hasn't really grown in the SHL scoring wise but it's been a weird few years and recovering from a broken leg will change development arcs, and hearing he showed a nasty shot and regained speed make me happy. Throw in the fact that as a 21 year old entering the AHL he's now close to making the show, and that he's extremely defensively responsible for his age, and I'm happy to make him part of the top three ahead of riskier forward prospects and goalies I don't particularly know how to project.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Still have Hallander above Poulin. :laugh: They're both probably middle-6 guys but I think it's easier for a winger with Hallander's style to make it to his ceiling than Poulin as a center.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Still have Hallander above Poulin. :laugh: They're both probably middle-6 guys but I think it's easier for a winger with Hallander's style to make it to his ceiling than Poulin as a center.

Hallander's probably spent more time in his career at C than Poulin; I'm not sure I'd expect them to develop Poulin as a C ahead of a guy like Hallander until I heard about it, which I don't think we have yet.

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
For me depends on how you wanna look at it. Hallander probably has the best chance to become an okay bottom 6 player, but I feel Legare and Zohorna have the potential to be more. But they also seem to be more boom or bust, and could be the next Jonathan Filewich and Keven Vellieux. I voted Legare, just because I hope his skillset can transition to the pro level.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hallander's probably spent more time in his career at C than Poulin; I'm not sure I'd expect them to develop Poulin as a C ahead of a guy like Hallander until I heard about it, which I don't think we have yet.
I'm not sure either has any good shot at being an impact NHL center, to be honest, I just kinda get the gut feeling Hallander's style of play has an easier job at transitioning to the NHL level, and as a winger.

It's mainly about style, for me. I know Poulin isn't a plug or anything, but I'm more optimistic a prospect like Hallander can carve out a niche as a Kunitz-lite. It's mainly about how he is with hockey IQ, tbh. If he's smart and can read/follow the play and position himself appropriately so as to make up for whatever skating woes he may have. Poulin just strikes me more of a boom or bust guy, but not nearly to the degree of Legare--who I'm intrigued by, but have no real hope for. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not sure either has any good shot at being an impact NHL center, to be honest, I just kinda get the gut feeling Hallander's style of play has an easier job at transitioning to the NHL level, and as a winger.

It's mainly about style, for me. I know Poulin isn't a plug or anything, but I'm more optimistic a prospect like Hallander can carve out a niche as a Kunitz-lite. It's mainly about how he is with hockey IQ, tbh. If he's smart and can read/follow the play and position himself appropriately so as to make up for whatever skating woes he may have. Poulin just strikes me more of a boom or bust guy, but not nearly to the degree of Legare--who I'm intrigued by, but have no real hope for. :laugh:

Poulin's a smart guy and very defensively responsible for his age too imo. It was something that really jumped out in training camp scrimmages before that bubble Stanley Cup, and has always been part of his scouting report. I think he'd have more of an adjustment if he needed to be an off the puck banger in the NHL due to having always being a focal point for the puck, but I have no doubt he could be it. Right now the only bust part of his profile is the resurfacing of skating concerns.

That said, I think they would want to try and make Poulin a legit NHL playmaker and might be happier to push Hallander as a plug and play puck retriever with less concern for offensive tool development, so maybe his style will transition quicker and easier. But not, imo, by a huge degree. Although admittedly my opinion isn't worth much here :laugh:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hallander for me. I’m gonna have Broz next, above Legare and the goalies but I think he’s 4 years out.

The Hallander fans have convinced me he's the guy here. I'm a little uhm at the way he hasn't really grown in the SHL scoring wise but it's been a weird few years and recovering from a broken leg will change development arcs, and hearing he showed a nasty shot and regained speed make me happy. Throw in the fact that as a 21 year old entering the AHL he's now close to making the show, and that he's extremely defensively responsible for his age, and I'm happy to make him part of the top three ahead of riskier forward prospects and goalies I don't particularly know how to project.

Hallander just seems like a pro player to me (I guess he has been for awhile now lol). I think numbers wise I’ve cooled on him from years ago, but still a fan. His ATOI was second among Fs on Lulea far as I can tell, he’s got a good brain and plays responsible 200 foot hockey. I think you can question his upside, offense and skating but he plays like a guy built for Sullivan imo.

Reactions: Peat

audioslaved

Jun 3, 2007
Zohorna will prove everybody wrong when he claims a spot next no Carter to start the season and then scores 50 goals... maybe not, but I'm pretty high on him and wish the coaching staff would give him a long look in an offensive role this season. The guy's a beast coming down the wing and breaking for the net! With some added seasoning I could see him as a solid power forward at the NHL level.

Reactions: Fordy and Gallatin

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Poulin's a smart guy and very defensively responsible for his age too imo. It was something that really jumped out in training camp scrimmages before that bubble Stanley Cup, and has always been part of his scouting report. I think he'd have more of an adjustment if he needed to be an off the puck banger in the NHL due to having always being a focal point for the puck, but I have no doubt he could be it. Right now the only bust part of his profile is the resurfacing of skating concerns.

That said, I think they would want to try and make Poulin a legit NHL playmaker and might be happier to push Hallander as a plug and play puck retriever with less concern for offensive tool development, so maybe his style will transition quicker and easier. But not, imo, by a huge degree. Although admittedly my opinion isn't worth much here :laugh:
Yeah, I just think coaches will accept and work with a guy like Hallander who seems to be more at home around the net and doing grunt work than a more offensive guy like Poulin. I don't know shit, and I'm not convinced anyone does--just my opinion.

We'll see how wrong we all were in three years. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I really struggle to think of good comparables for Zohorna and his ceiling. Not many 24 year old rookies to compare with. In a weird way, the best comp I can think of is 23 year old Dom Simon as that's when he started to be around ppg in the AHL, sure he wasn't a rookie but that's when he reached sorta the same level there scoring wise, and they're both cerebral and handsy... only Zohorna is 6'6".

I guess Blueger maybe kinda works as a comparable too? 24 iirc when he put together his ppg-ish season in the AHL. Puts up a .5ppg season in the NHL two seasons later. Similar-ish tools (save for the bit where Zohorna is 6'6") so maybe that's a realistic best case offensive ceiling for Zohorna? Of course, plus point for Blueger, he's a defensive rock so he was guaranteed to get minutes to develop, and I'm not sure Zohorna's likely to get viewed that way.

Plus point for Zohorna, he's 6'6" and can protect the puck in a way few can as a result, which maybe gives him an edge. Not even considering the lust for added strength in the org.

Hallander just seems like a pro player to me (I guess he has been for awhile now lol). I think numbers wise I’ve cooled on him from years ago, but still a fan. His ATOI was second among Fs on Lulea far as I can tell, he’s got a good brain and plays responsible 200 foot hockey. I think you can question his upside, offense and skating but he plays like a guy built for Sullivan imo.

From the get go Hallander has sounded like he was lab built for Sully, yeah.'

Yeah, I just think coaches will accept and work with a guy like Hallander who seems to be more at home around the net and doing grunt work than a more offensive guy like Poulin. I don't know shit, and I'm not convinced anyone does--just my opinion.

We'll see how wrong we all were in three years. :laugh:

Only thing I'll add is the highlight videos show that Poulin loves being around the net. Think they'll love that part of his game too.

Legare loves to get in around the net too for what its worth.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm real skeptical of Zoho. He showed some real flashes of brilliance, but the sample size was so small and can probably be attributed to the adrenaline of getting his feet wet at the NHL level, if we're being honest. Lafferty also had an awesome NHL intro, I think he had like 7 or 8 points in his first month and had some impressive multi-point games where he showed a knack for scoring off the rush and showcased his speed. Now, I don't even really want the dude taking up a contract spot, let alone roster spot. :laugh:

Hope he proves me wrong, but he's filed under "I'll believe it when I see it" for me.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
While understanding the skepticism, Zohorna's shown a lot more attacking prowess in lesser leagues at the same age than Lafferty. That's mostly what I'm basing my projection on tbh. Zohorna looking great in the NHL on an adrenaline high could be anything. Zohorna bullying the everliving f*** out of the AHL in the game I watched and scoring a pretty much carbon copy of his goal vs NYR for his first AHL goal... could also be anything, but it feels a little safer to project on. Still a small sample but he's definitely-maybe too good for the AHL, which I never got the impression someone like Lafferty was (at least his numbers didn't say so), and most players who are too good for the AHL and have physical tools make it in the NHL...

I think.

Reactions: Gallatin and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Going against the grain with Legare… I’m basing my ranking not on who’s ready and has the best chance to make the NHL soonest, regardless of where, but highest upside at this point..,so Hallander is going to be lower for me than Puustinen and Zohorna, who would be my next best prospects

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd like Zoho to have a permanent spot in the lineup to work his way up from the 4th line, but between our incessant need to keep as much of the BART line together as possible and the signing of seemingly half a dozen 4th liners, I would be really surprised if Zoho was given the nod over the entire group. He'd have to really, really outplay guys in camp and pre-season, imo, for the coaching staff to pencil him in over guys like E-Rod, Simon, Lafferty (Sully seems to adore him for some weird f***ing reason), or even like Angello or DOC. I think some of those guys will have to do much less to "earn" a spot than Zoho.

I'd personally give him a spot and let him figure things out--or not--but I don't really share a viewpoint with how Sully does anything. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Victor Z

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I have watched about ten WBS games last year and no other below NHL leagues. I don’t feel qualified to vote. I wonder if people ever vote in polls or elections that they don’t research the candidates?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Going against the grain with Legare… I’m basing my ranking not on who’s ready and has the best chance to make the NHL soonest, regardless of where, but highest upside at this point..,so Hallander is going to be lower for me than Puustinen and Zohorna, who would be my next best prospects

Any thoughts on where you'll put the goalies?

I have watched about ten WBS games last year and no other below NHL leagues. I don’t feel qualified to vote.

I think that makes you more qualified than 95% of people here.

Last edited:

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have a feeling that Broz is going to be severely underrated in this years poll. I think if Broz can continue developing he'll have the chance of carrying a lines offense. I'm not sure we have many forward prospects with that upside. I have him at #5 behind Hallander and DOC.

Should also help Broz that he's going to Minnesota who have some good upperclassmen forwards in McLaughlin, Walker and Meyers plus 2021 high picks in Chaz Lucius and Matthew Knies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think after this pick is where it gets interesting. I really have no idea who to choose next after this one

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Any thoughts on where you'll put the goalies?

Yeah, they’re in the top 10…all three…they’re coming right after Puustinen and Zohorna….Blomqvist, then Clang, then Lindberg…Hallander after that and Broz rounding out the top 10 for me

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think we're probably a little too excited/optimistic for Poulin as a fan base, to be brutally honest. I'll be really surprised, and pleasantly so, if he manages to end up as an impact NHLer.

I hope Hallander, Poulin, Legare, POJ, Zoho and DOC get huge minutes in WBS all year long--and they spend an entire season or more developing at the pro level. I'd rather them getting a big role in all situations down there than spending most of their time in the press box and getting 4th line minutes.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think we're probably a little too excited/optimistic for Poulin as a fan base, to be brutally honest. I'll be really surprised, and pleasantly so, if he manages to end up as an impact NHLer.

I hope Hallander, Poulin, Legare, POJ, Zoho and DOC get huge minutes in WBS all year long--and they spend an entire season or more developing at the pro level. I'd rather them getting a big role in all situations down there than spending most of their time in the press box and getting 4th line minutes.

Depends how you define impact NHLer. I don't think many people here view his ceiling much above a Brandon Saad type unless he takes a marked jump. If by impact NHLer you mean a prime Tarasenko, or Point, or Marchand, or similar other real high quality NHL forward picked a little later than 10, then yeah, that'd be quite a surprise.

I think a lot of people are reading the excitement/faith in Poulin for something it isn't. I'm excited because he's got a legit chance to be a legit NHL player - not a fantastic chance, but better than any about twenty forwards outside the NHL - and that's fun to me, not because he's the saviour of the franchise. People assume the excitement must be about more, but it's not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad