• Belliveau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caulfield

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
POJ and Hallander are good prospects with ok ceilings.

Going with the one prospect that has major boom or bust based on my optics...Big Z.

I'm either a genius or a complete fool but I don't like to play it safe.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I feel like the top 3, even top 5, are pretty easy to determine at the moment.

It's POJ at #2 and Hallander at #3. This is just a formality at this point.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like the top 3, even top 5, are pretty easy to determine at the moment.

It's POJ at #2 and Hallander at #3. This is just a formality at this point.

Feel like the next two could see some split votes depending on how people feel about goaltenders, NHL readiness, and so on, because I feel like any of the goalies, Zohorna, Legare and even Puustinen could end up there.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Feel like the next two could see some split votes depending on how people feel about goaltenders, NHL readiness, and so on, because I feel like any of the goalies, Zohorna, Legare and even Puustinen could end up there.

yep and I actually would put all three of those guys over Hallander but I’m resigned pretty much to Hallander being voted in next by the masses…

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Has this statement been approved by Coach Sid? Because if not then it's a moot point at best, no matter how Kap develops.

Hah. Fair point.

Well I'll say if Kappy can be a consistent source of danger while maintaining his responsible play and evolving his playmaking, he's a top-line RW regardless of whatever nominal labels we want to put on it.

Kappy is one of very few players on the Penguins who I actively enjoy watching play, as well.

Reactions: Victor Z

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It's 15-16 without the goaltender.

15-16 was a great run of prospects largely because they had the perfect developmental coach who would bring them to the NHL level, then trust them once there because they were "his guys." I don't think that crop would have been nearly as fruitful had we replaced Johnston from outside the organization.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
15-16 was a great run of prospects largely because they had the perfect developmental coach who would bring them to the NHL level, then trust them once there because they were "his guys." I don't think that crop would have been nearly as fruitful had we replaced Johnston from outside the organization.

This is a very lazy standpoint.

Jake Guentzel never played for Mike Sullivan in the AHL. 15-16 was a great run of prospects largely because we were bad for 5 years prior and we were able to accumulate draft picks.

If you go back and look at our drafts under Rutherford, we would probably have some nice pieces coming up if we hadn't traded away all of them.

Right now we'd likely have Kapanen, Gustavsson, and Addison all ready or playing significant NHL roles. Hallander would be knocking on the door. And then you'd throw in the other stuff we are currently waiting on.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Jake Guentzel never played for Mike Sullivan in the AHL. 15-16 was a great run of prospects largely because we were bad for 4 years prior and we were able to accumulate draft picks.

Fair on Guentzel.

I think when you promote a coach from the A, you are prioritizing internal development. That plus Sullivan's system was new and ran roughshod over the league in 2016. It's easier to break into the league when your developmental system is the same as the one at the NHL level.

I don't see this crop being nearly as successful as Jake/Rust/Sundqvist/Sheary/Dumo/Murray, etc. Not just in not winning cups - that would be a very unfair expectation - but just as individual careers. Hope I'm wrong though.

Replying to your shadow edit: not sure how Gustavsson, Addison and the other firsts we traded are relevant to a discussion of the prospect pool now. You're saying it's as good as it was when we won the B2B, just without Matt Murray no?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Fair on Guentzel.

I think when you promote a coach from the A, you are prioritizing internal development. That plus Sullivan's system was new and ran roughshod over the league in 2016. It's easier to break into the league when your developmental system is the same as the one at the NHL level.

I don't see this crop being nearly as successful as Jake/Rust/Sundqvist/Sheary/Dumo/Murray, etc. Not just in not winning cups - that would be a very unfair expectation - but just as individual careers. Hope I'm wrong though.

Replying to your shadow edit: not sure how Gustavsson, Addison and the other firsts we traded are relevant to a discussion of the prospect pool now. You're saying it's as good as it was when we won the B2B, just without Matt Murray no?

I'm saying Shero did a better job of containing picks and moving expendable prospects.

Rutherford basically gave away picks and our best prospects in every deal. Brassard. 1st and Gus. Zucker. 1st and Addison. Kapanen. 1st and Hallander.

Shero despite what this forum likes to say about him didn't really sell the future too much. He typically moved either picks or prospects and the prospects he did move were largely players the org had lost faith in.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm saying Shero did a better job of containing picks and moving expendable prospects.

Rutherford basically gave away picks and our best prospects in every deal. Brassard. 1st and Gus. Zucker. 1st and Addison. Kapanen. 1st and Hallander.

Cheers to that.

Rutherford was always better (free)wheeling and dealing versus when he locked in on a guy.

Once he locked in the opposing GM knew he was getting a heal. Or agent (see Tanev, JJ).

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Cheers to that.

Rutherford was always better (free)wheeling and dealing versus when he locked in on a guy.

Once he locked in the opposing GM knew he was getting a heal. Or agent (see Tanev, JJ).

I think we have enough players to insulate where we need gaps filled regardless.

We don't really need to add a ton to this roster to get it back to contention status. Having POJ, one of Hallander or Poulin fill out the third line and one of DOC, Zohorna, etc fill in the 4th line immediately gives us a ton of flexibility.

I guess that is where I see our prospect pool similar to 15-16.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think we have enough players to insulate where we need gaps filled regardless.

We don't really need to add a ton to this roster to get it back to contention status. Having POJ, one of Hallander or Poulin fill out the third line and one of DOC, Zohorna, etc fill in the 4th line immediately gives us a ton of flexibility.

I guess that is where I see our prospect pool similar to 15-16.

I gotcha; you think they can be good players at ELCs filling holes all over the roster. That makes sense.

The big and obvious differences are no Matt Murray and a diminished Sid & Geno. But if Sid/Geno are healthy and clicking that latter concern may go by the wayside. I see your mental roadmap for how next year's team can make noise; it makes sense.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I gotcha; you think they can be good players at ELCs filling holes all over the roster. That makes sense.

The big and obvious differences are no Matt Murray and a diminished Sid & Geno. But if Sid/Geno are healthy and clicking that latter concern may go by the wayside. I see your mental roadmap for how next year's team can make noise; it makes sense.

I think the other thing is while we don't have Phil Kessel, we have a much more established winger base.

Phil Kessel, Chris Kunitz, Hornqvist, Perron, Bennett, Plotnikov, Sprong, Farnham was our opening night winger group in 15-16.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Legare has a higher ceiling than both POJ and Hallander, however I'm gonna go with POJ on that one since he's essentially already an NHL player.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Jake Guentzel never played for Mike Sullivan in the AHL. 15-16 was a great run of prospects largely because we were bad for 5 years prior and we were able to accumulate draft picks.

If you go back and look at our drafts under Rutherford, we would probably have some nice pieces coming up if we hadn't traded away all of them.

Right now we'd likely have Kapanen, Gustavsson, and Addison all ready or playing significant NHL roles. Hallander would be knocking on the door. And then you'd throw in the other stuff we are currently waiting on.

Not even sure how true this is and even most of the picks we got (Dumo pre-picked, Guentzel in the Morrow for Morrow trade) weren't that high. Or do you mean just the fact we weren't trading them and were actually making the picks?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Not even sure how true this is and even most of the picks we got (Dumo pre-picked, Guentzel in the Morrow for Morrow trade) weren't that high. Or do you mean just the fact we weren't trading them and were actually making the picks?

Correct. The only picks Shero traded were Morrow and Esposito.

Cue JR. Within two years. Harrington, Bortuzzo, Despres, Kappy, Bennett, etc are all out.

Reactions: Peat

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Legare has been hanging with Lafreniere this summer, I think they and Poulin have all been teammates at one point or another. Next year is there a possibility to see Legare and Poulin play with their old Q teammate Felix Robert (who I also think played on a line with them in the Q) on the baby pens squad? Because that'd be rad

Reactions: Gurglesons

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Shero despite what this forum likes to say about him didn't really sell the future too much. He typically moved either picks or prospects and the prospects he did move were largely players the org had lost faith in.

Trading Esposito is one of my favorite Shero moves, no joke.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Legare has been hanging with Lafreniere this summer, I think they and Poulin have all been teammates at one point or another. Next year is there a possibility to see Legare and Poulin play with their old Q teammate Felix Robert (who I also think played on a line with them in the Q) on the baby pens squad? Because that'd be rad
More than a possibility it's gonna happen if neither make the big club! (they prob won't)

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad