Recalled/Assigned: Prospect Kiril Maksimov Assigned to CSKA Moscow

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
Excellent move by Holland. He wasn't quite fitting in the AHL and CSKA Moscow is his best chance to improve his skill while also playing with a team stacked with KHL stars. He is officially assigned for the 2021-2022 season, but I would expect him to play 2-3 seasons there.

Your thoughts?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
With how good CSKA is I wonder if he even gets much playing time at all. Might be closer to playing for their VHL team. But playing>not playing so this is a good move. Sounds like he’ll be back when the AHL season starts.

Reactions: TysonBarrie

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
I would assume it's more so due to how screwed up the AHL season is going to be than any long-term plans. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back over here for the following season.

It'll be a fun team to follow though. Samorukov and Slepyshev are on the team too.

One concerning issue is that the team is so stacked they both might be sent down to the VHL (KHL-2)

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
With how good CSKA is I wonder if he even gets much playing time at all. Might be closer to playing for their VHL team. But playing>not playing so this is a good move. Sounds like he’ll be back when the AHL season starts.

Would you rather move him back mid season or let him stay in Russia for the full season?
Hopefully they do the same thing with Ostap Safin.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Hate when prospects play in Russia. Usually end up getting zero ice time, and the MHL is trash. I understand the circumstances surrounding the AHL being the reason why, but still.

Basically going to end up being a lost season for anyone not in the NHL though so any ice time is better than none obviously.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Hate when prospects play in Russia. Usually end up getting zero ice time, and the MHL is trash. I understand the circumstances surrounding the AHL being the reason why, but still.

Basically going to end up being a lost season for anyone not in the NHL though so any ice time is better than none obviously.

I think being older will help. If it's a bad situation I'd imagine since they are being loaned they can be reassigned to the AHL when it gets going.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Definitely liked his progression on the Condors. Hopefully he has an breakout year in the KHL with skilled players/forwards.

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
Definitely liked his progression on the Condors. Hopefully he has an breakout year in the KHL with skilled players/forwards.

You watch the Condors? If so, any explanation as to why Starrett and other goalies sucked so much this season ?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
You watch the Condors? If so, any explanation as to why Starrett and other goalies sucked so much this season ?

Starrett was battling concussions or something, and the team took a reasonable hit in veteran player depth I think.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Like others have already stated, CSKA is stacked, so who knows how much playing time he'll get.. But I do like the idea of Samorukov and Maksimov developing in the KHL, good moves by Holland.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Like others have already stated, CSKA is stacked, so who knows how much playing time he'll get.. But I do like the idea of Samorukov and Maksimov developing in the KHL, good moves by Holland.

Basically. But every time a guy goes back to Russia there’s a chance he never returns. It’s unfortunate but true.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Basically. But every time a guy goes back to Russia there’s a chance he never returns. It’s unfortunate but true.
I agree to a certain extend. Russian players who stay in the KHL after a season or two in the AHL usually can't figure things out or (and that's my guess) are homesick. Maksimov has been living in NA for quite some time and Samorukov already played 3 years of junior + his first pro year in Bakersfield. I'd be really surprised if those two "deflect" to Russia. ;)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The alternative might not be any better though. Young developing player may get to play on December 4th or how things are going could end up not playing at all. Sitting for as long as these guys have is already a risk in development.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I think this is a unique situation.

Basically every prospect with Euro ties(Maksimov, Samorukov, Broberg, Berglund, Niemelainen, Mazura, Lennstrom, etc.) is slated to start the year over there. Seems like most organizations are doing the same too.

I bet if Holland could convince some Swiss team or something to take McLeod, Marody and Skinner until the AHL season starts, he'd send them over too.

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
I think this is a unique situation.

Basically every prospect with Euro ties(Maksimov, Samorukov, Broberg, Berglund, Niemelainen, Mazura, Lennstrom, etc.) is slated to start the year over there. Seems like most organizations are doing the same too.

I bet if Holland could convince some Swiss team or something to take McLeod, Marody and Skinner until the AHL season starts, he'd send them over too.

I think the KHL or VHL would be perfect for somebody like Dylan Wells or Stuart Skinner. The game in Russia is much more slower and defence focused. Hopefully Holland also finds a spot to put Ostap Safin in.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

They're under contract, the team has to loan them out to play. It seems to me Holland has, and always has had, a great relationship with the KHL/it's teams. I think Holland is trying to help them develop and is also doing them a solid by letting them make better money. I'd love to play for a guy like that, I'm sure they'll likely feel some loyalty to him over it tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad