Prospect gourou...Even if Price was select very early, was he the highest rated goali

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojan4

May 23, 2005
mckeens had rask as the no. 1 goalie (selected by Toronto) and some had pavelej in the first round

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
some lists had Rask higher, and I believe one had Levasseur as the top goalie...

edit: wrong name

Last edited:

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Golies are quite random i remember was it Levasseur who was rated 3rd most every where and was like the 12 golie taken by Anaheim. As for best golie i think it was Rask but i'm going to be biased and say Kings had a reason for picking Quick and he will be the best lol but seriously i believe Rask is better then Price

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Patty Ice said:
People want to hate on him because he was taken too early but he was the best of a weak bunch of goalies.
Says who...the Boston scout had Pavalec/Rask/Price all side by side with no clear favorite.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
Says who...the Boston scout had Pavalec/Rask/Price all side by side with no clear favorite.

Me, Patty and Montreal scouts for starters.

I believe Price is the best. I consider Pavelic #2, Plante #3 and Rask #4.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It seems the general idea is that Pavelec and Rask has more skill than Price...but Price is mentaly much better than either of the other two.

And depending on how one views the goalie (mental game vs skill)...that's how one would rank them...

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Bottom line is, he isn't the best goaltender over the past few years. The guy will be a good player. Montreal got a pretty good goaltender. But because this class of netminders was so weak, they took him early. I commend them for that.

That being said, I don't think he is above Montoya, Fleury, or Lehtonen. Who were all high draft picks over the past few years. But he will be a solid player. I'd almost rank him the same way Krahn was ranked.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
JayRice66 said:
That being said, I don't think he is above Montoya, Fleury, or Lehtonen. Who were all high draft picks over the past few years. But he will be a solid player. I'd almost rank him the same way Krahn was ranked.

ouch...
I personnaly think he's more in the range of Montoya, and maybe better...

but I've never been a fan of Montoya, so... who cares what I think ahahh

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Ryderama said:
ouch...

Thanks now I don't have to post that :D

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Pangolin said:
It seems the general idea is that Pavelec and Rask has more skill than Price...but Price is mentaly much better than either of the other two.

And depending on how one views the goalie (mental game vs skill)...that's how one would rank them...

As far as I'm concerned the mental game + character are the two main attributes you should look for in a goaltender prospect.

Someone with all the skills in the world doesn't have a prayer in hell to be a good NHL goalie if he gets rattled easily.

Take Fleury for exemple, not that I'm saying Fleury is a bust, but if he's to bust, it'll be because of his mental game. He has all the skills you can possibly want in a goaltending prospect outside of a strong mental game.

Let's hope the habs scouts are right on this one.

Old Hickory

fedorov_jr said:
i guess i dont know the situation... is this another cheating wife story?
During a playoff game Geoff bumped him and Storr hit his head on the crossbar and ended up with a concussion.
Before the bump he was playing out of his mind and after the bump he was giving up goals left and right. The Kings lost the game in a matter of 5 minutes and Storr took the loss on his shoulders and was never the same

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ryderama said:
ouch...

I'm not a huge Montoya fan at all (I like Lundqvist much more than Montoya for the Rangers), but I'd still take him over Price at this point in time.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I repeat myself but both Muckler and Ferguson wanted Price. Ottawa really had their sights on him at #9 and didn't think highly enough of the other goalies to pick one and went with Lee instead.

If all of Habs, Sens & Leafs brass though he was the best available this year, that's good enough for me.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
AskMe
Of those I recall...

Red Line has Levasseur ranked the highest.
TSN had Price ranked the highest, Rask 2nd, Pavelec 3rd.
The Hockey News has Rask the highest, Price 2nd.
McKeens had Levasseur the highest, Rask 2nd.
ISS had Price ranked the highest.

In short, there wasn't much consensus amongst scouts Rask, Levasseur and Price.Pavilec was generally ranked 3rd or 4th.

Of those above, I tend to put the most faith in McKeens rankings, and precious little faith in Red Line.
Given that both of them ranked Levasseur hand he slipped to 179th overall....

In short, your going to get wildly disparate opinions depending on whom you ask.

My advice, try and get the chance to watch them all play a few games on tape or TV or something of the like and form your own opinions.
I haven't seen any of them besides Price and Rask (only twice with Rask) play, so I've no real solid opinion myself.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
AskMe
montreal said:
Who cares where he was ranked, rankings don't mean ANYTHING!

Pretty much, as always the draft is a crapshoot. The 98 draft was considered by pretty much everyone to be one of the deepest and most talented drafts ever.
Mathieu Chouinard was the highest rated goale, thought to be arguably the safest pick in the draft, an absolute can't miss prospect that would be in the NHL within 2yrs. Drew rampant comparison to Roberto Luongo.

7yrs later later he's playing in the ECHL.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
AskMe
The Boot said:
Actually having a subscription to Mckeens Rask was the highest, Price 2nd, and Levasseur all the way down in 5th.
Really?
Thanks, I was evidently misinformed. Correction is appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->