Prospect Info: Prospect Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
General question I have about "pedigree" prospects. How much does having a relative with NHL experience move the needle for you personally?

For me it's almost like a step below in importance than, say, a player's height IF they're a skater. And even then, if a forward/defenseman is 6'3, that's nice and all, but like a lot of us I'm looking harder at their skating ability, hockey sense, hands, etc.

We've had some pedigree prospect cases flame out like Louis Marc-Aubry and Landon Ferraro. Can probably add Dominic Turgeon to that list too at this point even though he's had some health/injury problems. We've also seen some hits like Tyler Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha. Also Albert Johansson is TBD.

Thoughts?

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
General question I have about "pedigree" prospects. How much does having a relative with NHL experience move the needle for you personally?

For me it's almost like a step below in importance than, say, a player's height IF they're a skater. And even then, if a forward/defenseman is 6'3, that's nice and all, but like a lot of us I'm looking harder at their skating ability, hockey sense, hands, etc.

We've had some pedigree prospect cases flame out like Louis Marc-Aubry and Landon Ferraro. Can probably add Dominic Turgeon to that list too at this point even though he's had some health/injury problems. We've also seen some hits like Tyler Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha. Also Albert Johansson is TBD.

Thoughts?
it means almost nothing to me. by the time these kids are at this stage in their careers, what their parents accomplished means squat. a name can do more harm than good. maybe if you're trying to gauge how much growth is left in a boy's plates, looking at dad is helpful, but that's about it for me.

on that note, i really wouldn't be happy with picking up lapointe, draper, or tag bertuzzi in the upcoming draft.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
it means almost nothing to me. by the time these kids are at this stage in their careers, what their parents accomplished means squat. a name can do more harm than good. maybe if you're trying to gauge how much growth is left in a boy's plates, looking at dad is helpful, but that's about it for me.

on that note, i really wouldn't be happy with picking up lapointe, draper, or tag bertuzzi in the upcoming draft.
I mean of course their parents actual accomplishments don't matter, but you develop your values largely from your parents. So often times NHL or other professional athletes impart that "go the extra mile" mentality on their kids. I'd say it should give you more confidence in a prospect's attitude. Once you've interviewed them, spoken to their coaches and all of that enough to have a good feel directly, it probably shouldn't matter at all anymore.

Reactions: Konnan511

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I mean of course their parents actual accomplishments don't matter, but you develop your values largely from your parents. So often times NHL or other professional athletes impart that "go the extra mile" mentality on their kids. I'd say it should give you more confidence in a prospect's attitude. Once you've interviewed them, spoken to their coaches and all of that enough to have a good feel directly, it probably shouldn't matter at all anymore.
That's fair. To those of us who are fans and not scouts, it could be reassuring to recognize the family name, but like you said, once a team's scouts have interviewed a player, spoken to his coaches, and all of that, they'll get a pretty good handle on that stuff anyway.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Can't wait to see Mastrosimone and Phillips later this year... expecting big things.

It's definitely exciting to have prospects playing at BU. Are they supposed to get Top 6 minutes or something? Maybe Power Play?

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
It's definitely exciting to have prospects playing at BU. Are they supposed to get Top 6 minutes or something? Maybe Power Play?

Mastrosimone played top 6 and Phillips was mostly a 3rd liner.

Harper most likely will go to the AHL, just like Zegras. Curry got signed to Grand Rapids, leaving 3 open spots available. Peterson and O'Brien are joining Boston so there will be some healthy competition. Wouldn't be surprised if Mastrosimone gets 1st line minutes and Phillips being a regular 2nd liner.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I think Mastro will see a promotion to the first line in 2020-21. He was mostly playing on BU's 3rd line with Phillips, but when there was an injury he was promoted to the top line and produced really well with Zegras as his center. I'd expect his point totals to at least double.

Phillips also looked good in a 3rd line checking role. That kid has exceptional wheels and if he can refine some of the finer points of his game like faceoffs then he could become a Luke Glendening type grinder.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I think Mastro will see a promotion to the first line in 2020-21. He was mostly playing on BU's 3rd line with Phillips, but when there was an injury he was promoted to the top line and produced really well with Zegras as his center. I'd expect his point totals to at least double.

Phillips also looked good in a 3rd line checking role. That kid has exceptional wheels and if he can refine some of the finer points of his game like faceoffs then he could become a Luke Glendening type grinder.
Whoa whoa whoa kit-kat, double his points? So a PPG player his sophomore season without Zegras (most likely)?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Whoa whoa whoa kit-kat, double his points? So a PPG player his sophomore season without Zegras (most likely)?

Very likely he hits 35-40 points his sophmore year. When Mastrosimone was given icetime he produced very well. Watching him play it's not out of the realm of possibility. With Curry moving to Grand Rapids that opens up the top RW spot. It's Mastrosimone's spot to lose.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I can see Phillips in a Tyler Johnson kind of role.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I can see Phillips in a Tyler Johnson kind of role.

I wish. He's got amazing wheels and a motor that doesn't quit. I'm unsure of his offensive upside though. Maybe he could surprise some people and breakout offensively in his next 2 or 3 years at BU?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wish. He's got amazing wheels and a motor that doesn't quit. I'm unsure of his offensive upside though. Maybe he could surprise some people and breakout offensively in his next 2 or 3 years at BU?

I have little doubt he will break out into a decent scorer at the NCAA level. I think his skill-set there is pretty good, will it build up enough for professional ranks scoring is my bigger question mark. I think he is in the right developmental path though, hopefully we are turning him pro after his junior season.

Mastro has a big year, we honestly might turn him pro. He should be on the WJC team if they play it this year and hopefully he takes a big step physically, but I think he is a guy that could make that huge jump forward. Even if not, these guys should be a couple of the best players in Hockey East their junior years given their talent level. Excited about both guys and happy they are at a program I trust to continue developing them.

I would love with them on the roster if we could get them as the fourth team in the GLI or put together some other tournament where BU comes in.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I have little doubt he will break out into a decent scorer at the NCAA level. I think his skill-set there is pretty good, will it build up enough for professional ranks scoring is my bigger question mark. I think he is in the right developmental path though, hopefully we are turning him pro after his junior season.

Mastro has a big year, we honestly might turn him pro. He should be on the WJC team if they play it this year and hopefully he takes a big step physically, but I think he is a guy that could make that huge jump forward. Even if not, these guys should be a couple of the best players in Hockey East their junior years given their talent level. Excited about both guys and happy they are at a program I trust to continue developing them.

I would love with them on the roster if we could get them as the fourth team in the GLI or put together some other tournament where BU comes in.

With the state of our team and because BU's program is very good at developing NHLers I'd like them to stay on the team till at least their junior years. That would give them ample opportunity to become team leaders. After that I'd expect 1-2 years in the AHL before coming up to the NHL. Maybe I'm wrong and they both turn pro after their sophmore seasons? Either way I think both of these guys have it in them to become good NHLers. Mastro looks like he could be a very good middle six 40ish point guy, and Phillips has the wheels and defensive smarts to be a good bottom 6 role player.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
With the state of our team and because BU's program is very good at developing NHLers I'd like them to stay on the team till at least their junior years. That would give them ample opportunity to become team leaders. After that I'd expect 1-2 years in the AHL before coming up to the NHL. Maybe I'm wrong and they both turn pro after their sophmore seasons? Either way I think both of these guys have it in them to become good NHLers. Mastro looks like he could be a very good middle six 40ish point guy, and Phillips has the wheels and defensive smarts to be a good bottom 6 role player.

I don't see Phillips coming out before his junior season, he also has a little more physical developing to do. Mastro has the ability to be a Hobey Baker type if things fall right, I mean if he is the best player in Hockey East next year I am turning him pro if I am the Wings. I think he is going to explode next year, every time I turned on a BU game, I kept saying and he is just a Freshman with a big grin on my face. I think we stole something in him, love that pick even more now than I did on draft night. He also plays big at the end of games and in big moments. I think that can be overrated, but I do prefer my team's prospects to do it. There is a swagger to Mastro.

Reactions: mantha39

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
I don't see Phillips coming out before his junior season, he also has a little more physical developing to do. Mastro has the ability to be a Hobey Baker type if things fall right, I mean if he is the best player in Hockey East next year I am turning him pro if I am the Wings. I think he is going to explode next year, every time I turned on a BU game, I kept saying and he is just a Freshman with a big grin on my face. I think we stole something in him, love that pick even more now than I did on draft night. He also plays big at the end of games and in big moments. I think that can be overrated, but I do prefer my team's prospects to do it. There is a swagger to Mastro.
At last summer's propsects camp/tournament I found Phillips to be the most exciting to watch besides Seider. He generated a lot of chances on plays I expected to die out.

Reactions: MBH

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Other then Seider, we don't have anybody in the system , hope we get 2 more after this draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad