Prospect Info: Prospect Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Anyone got a prediction on the "breakout player" for the Wings?

Breakout player? Like next year?
Or current prospect who's gonna break out one day?
My two sleepers would be Ethan Phillips and Albert Johansson. Honorable mention to Gus Berglund and Kiril Tyutyayev.

Or just a prospect who goes into high gear next season.
I'll still go with Johansson.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I like how this guy's graph organizes his ratings. Conservative, & I can't tell how he takes injury history into account for some prospects.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I like how this guy's graph organizes his ratings. Conservative, & I can't tell how he takes injury history into account for some prospects.

I tried watching the video, and couldn't get past when he threw Petruzelli above Larsson. It seemed like he has to much recency bias maybe. but considering that both goalies are 21, and Larsson dominated NCAA, and Petru, was bad to now looking good.. I just don't see it.

all that being said I appreciate the format he used, and that he took the time to make the video.

Reactions: hkydave04

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I tried watching the video, and couldn't get past when he threw Petruzelli above Larsson. It seemed like he has to much recency bias maybe. but considering that both goalies are 21, and Larsson dominated NCAA, and Petru, was bad to now looking good.. I just don't see it.

all that being said I appreciate the format he used, and that he took the time to make the video.

It is a pretty awful video. It is the definition of stat watching. The guy clearly doesn't know who the vast majority of these guys are or when they were drafted and hasn't watched many of them play.

I could go either way on Larrson vs. Petruzelli. I don't think that one is substantially better than the other as NHL prospects.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I like going put on a limb: I'm going to say Albin Grewe takes steps next year to make people take notice. I'm going to rely on our European contigent for updates.

I also like Vector's choice of Mastrosimone. He was an impact frosh with some really great play making skills on a pretty blah team.

Reactions: Vector Cereal

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I like going put on a limb: I'm going to say Albin Grewe takes steps next year to make people take notice. I'm going to rely on our European contigent for updates.

I'm with you on that one. This guy's film flashed 1st round selection at points. I'm not saying he's the next Brad Marchand but... I'll sort of wink and nudge about it.

Reactions: RabidBadger

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Any UFA's that Detroit has been linked to?

I've read theyre linked to Brinson Pasichnuk a couple times and that hes narrowed down to two teams. Not sure who the teams are but pretty rumours were the wings are one of them. On tsn they said he isnt going to sign without more certainty on how the season is going to end. If the season resumes he could still burn a year of his ELC

BUUUUUT a quick google search says he signed with the Sharks so nvm lol

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
When the Red Wings drafted 6-foot-4, 194-pound, right-handed shooting defenseman Antti Tuomisto in the second round, 35th overall, in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, they stressed how impressed they were with his intelligence and well-rounded skill set.
Tuomisto is a heady player who has an edge to his game.
He skates well for a big man, likes to hit and possesses an accurate and powerful shot.
Though he still needs to become stronger, especially in his lower body, which will improve his skating, the Finnish rearguard's long reach, offensive tools and high hockey IQ were on full display this season playing for Ässät U20 in Finland's top junior league -- Jr. A SM-liiga.
He was named the league's MVP and defenseman of the year, earning a promotion to Ässät's team in Finland's Liiga, the country's top professional league.

Porin Ässät@PorinAssat

Nuorten SM-liigan MVP Antti Tuomisto ja vuoden valmentaja Jere Härkälä palkittiin ennen ottelun alkua!#Patanuoret aloittaa puolivälierät keskiviikkona!#Ässät #YHDESSÄ

11:49 AM - Mar 7, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Porin Ässät's other Tweets
But like season, when his exceptional all-around play also earned him a promotion to Ässät Liiga, Tuomisto again opted to stay with Ässät U20 to preserve his NCAA eligibility.
This coming fall, Tuomisto will enroll at the University of Denver to patrol the blue line for the Pioneers.
If he continues to develop rapidly and he's able to adapt to the smaller North American ice surface, where the game is quicker and more physical, Tuomisto could make a legitimate run -- in the not-too-distant future -- to becoming an impact player on the Red Wings defensive corps.
48 - Total number of games he played in Jr. SM-liiga for Ässät U20.
15 - His 15 goals was tops by a defenseman on his team and tied with forward Arttu Lausniemi for third. Forward Jami Virtanen led Ässät with 27.
34 - Tuomisto's 34 assists led Ässät U20. Lausniemi was second with 28.
49 - The 19-year-old's 49 total points in 48 games led his team, was 14th overall in the league and ranked first among defensemen in Jr. SM-liiga. Virtanen was second on Ässät with 48 points in 51 games.
44 - He was assessed 44 total penalty minutes, which was third most on his team. Fellow defenseman Miro Sistonen led Ässät U20 in penalty minutes with 74 in 46 games played.
18 - For a defenseman who played in all situations and against the opposition's top players, Tuomisto's plus-18 was fourth best on his team. Another fellow blueliner, Rami Määttä, was plus-24 in 46 games, which led Ässät U20. Lausniemi was second at plus-23. Virtanen and Eemeli Takala were both plus-19.
35 - The Red Wings selected Tuomisto in the second round, 35th overall, in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver. He becomes the second player to be drafted 35th overall by the Wings. In the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, held in St. Paul, Minn., Detroit chose right wing Tomas Jurco in the second round, also 35th overall.
Quotable: "He played J20 in Finland this year. The only reason he played there the whole year is because he's going to the University of Denver next year. He needed to in order to keep his eligibility. He had a fantastic year. He won the defenseman of the year and the MVP of the league. Can't really ask for him to do much more than that. I think he's another one that's just starting to figure out how good he can be. He's a big kid. He moves well, he's got good sense, he passes the puck well, he can play both ends of the ice. Obviously there's some structure and detail to his game that he's going to need to learn but that will come with good coaching and experience. But he's a kid that needs to physically put the time in. When we get him on the ice, if we can make his skating a little bit better and improve it, because there's good tools there and there's good structure there. I think leg strength is a big thing for him. If he can put on some more leg strength, you're going to see his skating improve and with that, really he's got a lot to like. There's a lot of ability there." -- Shawn Horcoff, Red Wings director of player development and assistant director of player personnel

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I’m not sure who deserves the credit for drafting Tuomisto but what a great pick. I kind of had a wtf moment when I saw his name in round two but he’s won me over in a big way. Same with Elmer Sodestrom.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I’m not sure who deserves the credit for drafting Tuomisto but what a great pick. I kind of had a wtf moment when I saw his name in round two but he’s won me over in a big way. Same with Elmer Sodestrom.
Playing for USA college is not so easy, not going to surprised if get struggle. He should went 3rd , but Steven had different opinion. Hope you don't get disappointed

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It is a pretty awful video. It is the definition of stat watching. The guy clearly doesn't know who the vast majority of these guys are or when they were drafted and hasn't watched many of them play.

I could go either way on Larrson vs. Petruzelli. I don't think that one is substantially better than the other as NHL prospects.

That video is brutal.
Why the f*** would anyone want to spend 20 minutes listening to so some know-nothing riff off the top of his head.
People on this board provide a lot more insights than guys like that. Without wasting so much time.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
No doubt he will struggle for awhile. Maybe he should have dominated in the league he was in last year, but the fact is he did dominate. He was a surprise round two pick but like Killerjas said he likely wouldn’t have been there for us with our next pick. I’m just damn glad we got him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad