Prospect Info: Prospect Discussion 20/21 "It Could Have Been Lundell"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
well, the Pittsburgh model is really the model for quite awhile. Look at the 90s with Dallas/Colorado/Detroit and their centers. Edmonton rolled Gretzky/Messier. NYI had Trottier and Bourne, iirc. If you wanted to win you had to be strong down the middle.

I will agree that the league has moved away from that a bit, and we're seeing weaker teams win the Cup. But even then we generally see these teams make up for it in other areas in a big way. Chicago had Kane running the second line, which is probably our best hope right now with Zadina/Raymond. Tampa, though I think Cirelli doesn't fit, had a big three on D and a Vezina caliber goalie. Anaheim ran Pronger/Neidermeyer out there for 50+ minutes a night.

If you don't have two pretty big guns up the middle, I think you have to compensate for that in a big way - at least if you want sustained success.
Agreed. The way it looks, I don't think we are going to be rolling out a heavy #1C/#2C punch unless something major changes in our pipeline or we land high-end centers that are ready quickly with both 2021 and 2022 draft picks.. so we'll need to compensate. Wingers look like a source of strength for us, defense has a way to go but is coming along, goalies and centers really are the huge questionmarks.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Agreed. The way it looks, I don't think we are going to be rolling out a heavy #1C/#2C punch unless something major changes in our pipeline or we land high-end centers that are ready quickly with both 2021 and 2022 draft picks.. so we'll need to compensate. Wingers look like a source of strength for us, defense has a way to go but is coming along, goalies and centers really are the huge questionmarks.

On the bright side, a really high end C at the top of the draft would likely get to Detroit pretty quickly. Also, if this is going to be more of a "we'll compete for the playoffs in five years" kind of thing rather than two years, we might be looking for a guy to push down or straight up replace Larkin.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Every time I see him he just looks like a 40 point guy to me. Will he have a season or three where he breaks out and gives everyone hope? Yeah, but so did Flip. Unless we have something like Z/D ahead of him, I just don't think that is enough to get it done.

I'm with you in hoping we see that second big gun up the middle drafted in the next couple of drafts.

If Veleno consistently hits 40 pts that will be an elite 3rd line center as far as I'm concerned. If that's the 30th overall pick in a draft year I think you're very happy with that.

Obviously optimistically you hope he's better than that, especially with the exceptional status tag slapped on him in Juniors, but it is what it is. I think he's just a bit slower to develop and will end up as a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

If Rasmussen develops the same and we are deep with wingers I think having a 1a/1b won't be necessary. You win it with depth with no real drop off between the 2nd and 3rd line.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Pray to the RNG ball gods for 2022 and we get our 1st line/2nd line center.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

On the bright side, a really high end C at the top of the draft would likely get to Detroit pretty quickly. Also, if this is going to be more of a "we'll compete for the playoffs in five years" kind of thing rather than two years, we might be looking for a guy to push down or straight up replace Larkin.

Pray to the RNG ball gods for 2022 and we get our 1st line/2nd line center.
Sign Barkov in 2022.

Raymond-Barkov-Zadina
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Berggren-Veleno-Fabbri
Smith-Glendening-Rasmussen

Power-Seider
DeKeyser-Hronek
Nemeth-Stecher
Lindstrom

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sign Barkov in 2022.

Raymond-Barkov-Zadina
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Berggren-Veleno-Fabbri

Power-Seider
DeKeyser-Hronek
Nemeth-Stecher
Lindstrom

Barkov would be the answer to all of our problems, but what are the chances he ever hits UFA? I think the question will be what we're willing to deal for him.

Reactions: DatsDeking

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Barkov would be the answer to all of our problems, but what are the chances he ever hits UFA? I think the question will be what we're willing to deal for him.
Probably pretty slim odds that he ever hits UFA. Maybe if FLA isn't contending for the playoffs during his last season ('21-22) and he wants out, they'll trade him and Detroit can sign him to a monster extension. The question is would he want to play in Detroit after being on the sidelines in Florida for his whole career?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Sign Barkov in 2022.

Raymond-Barkov-Zadina
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Berggren-Veleno-Fabbri

Power-Seider
DeKeyser-Hronek
Nemeth-Stecher
Lindstrom
Barkov & Werenski as UFA's for me please. Otherwise, I don't wanna gut our depth to trade for either.

DDK, Nemeth, Stech & LGD are all likely gone by then, possibly by this TDL even. Otherwise, I like that lineup. Lindstrom L3-RD. Al-Jo should be ready by then too.

Reactions: David D

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It would be a mistake to waste Veleno at wing.
Develop him as a center and just know that he's got more offense than he's been showing there.
In modern NHL, don't C & W's often cover each others lanes, sometimes even assignments etc. ? I respectfully disagree, I think he should be developed as a C, but if he has more offense, why not let him put up 10+ more points on 2W, vs. 3C for example? With Zadina-Fabbri as the offensive duo, he'd be the backup faceoff guy, or primary Dzone draw C + PK/PP2. I could see the Jere Lehtinen Lite experiment work. Imagine that line on zone entries.

Then Brome/Ras/? on L3 as our shutdown line.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
In modern NHL, don't C & W's often cover each others lanes, sometimes even assignments etc. ? I respectfully disagree, I think he should be developed as a C, but if he has more offense, why not let him put up 10+ more points on 2W, vs. 3C for example? With Zadina-Fabbri as the offensive duo, he'd be the backup faceoff guy, or primary Dzone draw C + PK/PP2. I could see the Jere Lehtinen Lite experiment work. Imagine that line on zone entries.

Then Brome/Ras/? on L3 as our shutdown line.

If you've got a plethora os centers, sure.
But Veleno is a natural center. If you've got a credible, natural center with 2/3C potential, you develop it.
Anything he can be on the Wing, he can be at Center.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Sign Barkov in 2022.

Raymond-Barkov-Zadina
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Berggren-Veleno-Fabbri

Power-Seider
DeKeyser-Hronek
Nemeth-Stecher
Lindstrom

I'd prefer a ELC controlled guy. And so far though it is a way's out 3 of the early top 5 draft pick kids are center's. If we get a top 3 pick next year we are for sure getting a center.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Chase Bradley stays hot

Anyone know if his plan is to start school next year or finish out his USHL eligibility? Id love an excuse to head back to boston and visit my college buddies next year...

also, looks like his birthday is tomorrow!

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014
BU getting their season started tonight

Looks like Mastro is banged up and out of the lineup... Phillips 1st Line RW

Jack Adams 3rd Line RW for Providence

Mastro not banged up, crazy return to play protocols at BU after break and 4-6 kids weren't cleared yet, Mastro back tonight.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Mastro not banged up, crazy return to play protocols at BU after break and 4-6 kids weren't cleared yet, Mastro back tonight.
Mastersemone is one year older, No more Zegras, I expect him be in the first line and ,score, score, score

Reactions: USHOCKEYUS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->