Prospect Development - The Impact of COVID

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What are your thoughts on the impact COVID will have on the development of NHL prospects. Prospects playing in the European leagues are currently playing but prospects playing in North America are facing obvious disruptions.

Back in the day, the 2004-2005 lockout was thought to have contributed to the development of the 2003 draft class since many of them that would have been rushed to the NHL ended up playing an extra year of juniors or in a higher than usual quality AHL. Kesler, for example, was playing a prime offensive role instead of playing 4th line minutes with the Canucks.

We like to think that 18-22? is critical development time. Podkolzin is playing hockey while Zegras is not. How would that impact the two forwards' development path?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
We are VERY lucky that our top 2 prospects are Eurpoeans and playing in high level leagues there. I guranee this will be an advantage that will show irs rewards in the upcoming years.

NCAA just announced they have copletely cancelled their season. That is terrible for the likes of Zegras, Newhook. Caufield, Boly etcc who were all drafted around Podkolzin. What a massive advantage for Podz!

CHL I thinkwill try and salvage a season

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
We are VERY lucky that our top 2 prospects are Eurpoeans and playing in high level leagues there. I guranee this will be an advantage that will show irs rewards in the upcoming years.

NCAA just announced they have copletely cancelled their season. That is terrible for the likes of Zegras, Newhook. Caufield, Boly etcc who were all drafted around Podkolzin. What a massive advantage for Podz!

CHL I thinkwill try and salvage a season

Huh? The NCAA has not completely cancelled the season. Most of the leagues will begin play Nov 13-Dec 1 for a 24 game season.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Huh? The NCAA has not completely cancelled the season. Most of the leagues will begin play Nov 13-Dec 1 for a 24 game season.

My apologies I saw a headline but didnt realie it was for Div 3 sports.

Either way, our European guys have a leg up already with competion and now with more developmental games played this season.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It is going to be very hard to get a good read on prospects for the 2021 draft. There will be travel and in-person restrictions for scouts. Many leagues will be running at reduced capacity, if at all, and starting late in the year. Some prospects might have trouble finding a home to play in. It might be a good year to find a diamond in the rough. On the other hand, it might be a very good year to trade picks from a 'ruined' graduating class.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
apologies if i missed it, but did you guys vote on top prospect list recently?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
apologies if i missed it, but did you guys vote on top prospect list recently?
bout that time of year, isn't it. Can someone set one up?

1. Podkolzin
2. Hoglander
3. Juolevi
4. Rathbone
5. Dipietro

Not sure if I am missing anyone. Rafferty is close.

Thats my projection for the 1st 5. I'd be curious as to where we would rank in the league right now.

Reactions: neelynugs

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

1. Podkolzin
2. Hoglander
3. Juolevi
4. Rathbone
5. Dipietro

Thats my projection for the 1st 5. I'd be curious as to where we would rank in the league right now.

i'd say around middle third of the league, probably on the higher side of that

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

1. Podkolzin
2. Hoglander
3. Juolevi
4. Rathbone
5. Dipietro

who is the prospect list master around here? definitely time to get it going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->