Prospect: Casey Pierro-Zabotel

NativeHockey77*

People on this forum were wanting to know about him early in the season when he was averaging 3 points a game (Gp-10 G-15 A-15 Pts-30) and I have got to see him play in the BCHL several times as well as in a Native hockey tournement in Vernon BC.

Casey Pierro-Zabotel is 6'2 208 lbs, a native of Cache Creek B.C Canada

C-P's style is similar to a cat, he doesnt create oppurtunities himself; but he lurks aroun the ice with his head low and he pounces on your mistakes and boy does he make you pay with his finish. He posses a very hard but somewhat innacurrate shot. Very good stickhandling for his size, also very great skating ability for a 6'2 208 pounder- and with that size its hard to knock this guy off the puck. He oozes potential still, isnt too physical and is disaplined in the box but isnt afraid to "throw down" if called upon. He is right now projected 3rd round in the NHL entry draft, and in the BCHL he was 3rd in scoring behind 2nd place Kyle Turris (Who is projected number 1 in this years NHL entry draft)

*Heres a comparison I wanted to point out between Travis Zajac and Casey Zabotel offensive stats; ages given and they both played in the BCHL

Casey:6'2 208 lbs

age 17: GP-60 G-20 A-35 PTS-55
age 18: GP-55 G-51 A-65 PTS-116

Travis:6'2 205 lbs

age 17: GP-59 G-16 A-36 PTS-52
age 18: GP-59 G-43 A-69 PTS-112

Theres a big similarity there and Zajac (Drafted 20th overall) now is in the NHL at the age 21 and got 42 points in 80 games as a rookie. Zabotel is ranked 3rd round but watching what he can do I think he is capable of being late 1st round. Anyone else see him play? Zabotel also played at the World Junior A Hockey Championships playing for Team Canada West winning the Gold medal along side Kyle Turris. :)

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
His skating is his main knock, and people call him lazy. I've seen him play 3-4times this year, he has good hands and an accurate shot but its his skating and lack of speed that will probably keep him in the late 2nd early 3rd

NativeHockey77*

Well when he was 16 he tried out for the Calgary Hitmen and got cut becuz they said he was too slow (But have times changed since then) and I see that Zabotel doesnt fly around the ice like some guys who have amazing speed, but he is more of a smart offensive player who pours on the gas when needed. I think his skating has improved SIGNIFIGANTLY from when I first saw him in September and it sky-rocketed since he tryed out for the WHL at 16 years old, his skating could be better but is great for a guy his size. The thing I also like about this kid is that hes quiet and isnt cocky, shows he is coachable and should do great this fall in the NCAA :)

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Ok, well I can't compare how much his skating has improved, but I've heard he does have the reputation of being slow and lazy but like you mentioned he is incredibly skilled. How he does at the next level in NCAA remains to be seen, and by the way are you related to this guy or something?

NativeHockey77*

Im not related but know some people that are close to him, and Ive seen him play in a Native Hockey TOurnement after his BCHL playoffs, sure he was against alot of guys who havent played junior A but he didnt step off the ice once and played 60 minutes every game he played and he pretty much scored whenever he wanted to...but with people saying he is inconsitant Im jus wondering if hes like a Devin Setoguchi? at the start of the year he was ripping the BCHL up, I was hoping he kept up his 3 point a game average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->