Prospect Camps Dates & Discussion

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
If and when the fitness results are released....by the team , local media etc. it would be great if somebody could post them.
( I realize some teams do and some teams don't make them public)
thks

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Similarly, Lieuwen watched the entire on-ice portion as he recovers from a sports hernia he suffered late in the year.

McNabb rattled Szydlowski today as the physical intensity picked up after Marcus Foligno blasted Corey Tropp at the blueline with an impressive open-ice hit. (Tropp didn't show any worse for wear, didn't miss a shift and scored to complete his hattrick in the game later in the third period.). Brayden didn't get to show any time on the point as they weren't using PP/PK to settle infractions but instead ran penalty shots. He did go in the shootout they ran at the end, trying a forehand-backhand that Connor Knapp stopped.

As for the other current or former dub guys:

- Sundher was solid throughout camp and seems to have added mass in his upper body. He was probably the second fastest forward out there behind Catenacci in the early drills.
- Parker and Wudrick looked good at times and the knack for being around the net hasn't left either.
- Matt MacKenzie was his solid, unspectacular self (which I like in a defensive defenseman).
- Fienhage was there, which bodes well for him although he's still not signed to a deal with the team and the suspicion is that he'll have to work up from the ECHL if they sign a vet for the AHL squad.
- I really like Pysyk's game. I was as unsure of the pick at the time as anyone, but he's just such a damn smart kid with very good wheels. He was tough to beat in the one-on-one and two-on-two drills earlier in the week. He also looks markedly bigger than last camp, so if he's filling out and still maintaining the speed, EOK and hopefully the Nats will clearly benefit.
- Riley Boychuk scored today in the shootout drill and got the biggest cheer from his bench. Clearly well, liked as a teammate.
- Tyler Ennis was the "vet" here this year (much like Tyler Myers was last year) and lead by example all over the place. Great humor, he continues to cut-up with his teammates and lighten things up out there. Fun.

That covers the 'dub guys, RS.

Awesome, thanks a ton!

I also love Mackenzie's game. Rugged *******.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watch out for Beyers.

I don't like these kind of people who claim they know NHLers and whatnot but I've grown up with Steve and he's always been the most dangerous player on the ice. He's got unbelievable hands and hockey IQ. His problem has always been work ethic which has resulted in him being injured a lot. By this I mean that he never really worked out and has completely relied on his skills.

This season, his Jr. A coach from here in Orangeville, Dale Hawerchuk, took Beyers along with him to Barrie. He did fairly decent in his first season, but was once again injured a lot. This summer has been quite interesting working out with him. He's ridiculously determined and it's really showing lately. He's already leaps and bounds stronger than he's ever been. I don't think he'll be as injured as he usually is.

Expect a big season out of him.

The Sabres run a pretty hard camp from the guys I've talked to up there -- it's often a wake up call for some of the newer guys. Beyers was around the play all the time and just did a lot of the little things to keep pucks alive and move to openings -- things that he did on instinct that were very appealing. Tell him I hope the Sabres keep him in mind next draft as they have relatively light depth on RW and his scoring is likely to only improve as he gets stronger/faster. The skills and intelligence were clear.

Awesome, thanks a ton!

I also love Mackenzie's game. Rugged *******.

Welcome. I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone this session -- family considerations :biglaugh: -- but some of our regular blog-o-sphere guys may have had more time to chat with the guys. I expect big things out of Pysyk this year.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Fun Islanders rookie scrimmage tonight. Ryan Strome had three goals, including a sick penalty shot, Anders Lee posted a pair and Kirill Kabanov had a smooth PS as well.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
It was even more amazing in-person. I was viewing from the other end of the ice and saw him do it looking straight down the ice.

It was complete Video Game Joystick stuff - IF video games were that cool. The perspective in this video doesn't show you what I saw, nor what the goalie saw. Reminds me of the TSN draft coverage where the profile said "Best playmaker in the OHL (most points). Best stickhandler in the draft (see youtube)." LOL

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The Sabres run a pretty hard camp from the guys I've talked to up there -- it's often a wake up call for some of the newer guys. Beyers was around the play all the time and just did a lot of the little things to keep pucks alive and move to openings -- things that he did on instinct that were very appealing. Tell him I hope the Sabres keep him in mind next draft as they have relatively light depth on RW and his scoring is likely to only improve as he gets stronger/faster. The skills and intelligence were clear.

Welcome. I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone this session -- family considerations :biglaugh: -- but some of our regular blog-o-sphere guys may have had more time to chat with the guys. I expect big things out of Pysyk this year.

Keep in mind he's a 92 born so this past draft was the 2nd possible year for him to get drafted, but I'm sure he's hoping to get drafted still as well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Keep in mind he's a 92 born so this past draft was the 2nd possible year for him to get drafted, but I'm sure he's hoping to get drafted still as well.

They often keep guys in mind as UFA's once they complete their collegiate or junior eligibility. They signed Mark Kostka, Brian Roloff, and Dave Leggio after dev camp performances -- and not the immediate season after for Roloff and Leggio either. Their pro guy (Christiano) has a long memory and their amateur guys do like to throw in an over-ager per draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad