Prospect Info: Prospect Camp - June 2017

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I wouldn't read too much into how any player performed in the 4-on-4.

I mean, it is essentially a scrimmage, not a tryout or the pre-season. Players likely didn't have a chance to settle into whatever their roles or styles are. If it weren't for 'coaches' or a trophy, I wouldn't view the 4-on-4 as much more than a drop-in.

It's really not, Jarmo kept saying they aren't really watching players to closely. This week is the first time a lot of these kids are getting back on the ice after at least a couple weeks off.

The one that counts is still a couple months away.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Am I the only person who thinks it would be hilarious if the fans started yelling "We want the Cup!" while waiting for Stinger to come out and present the Stinger Cup (aka Lord Stinger of Easton's Cup)?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It will be interesting to see how these Euro goalies develop in the minors. The AHL and ECHL can be unforgiving for youngsters who struggle - like Dansk. There's plenty of older minor league goalies they can replace them. Minor league teams have ticket holders who can be incredibly nasty to their own goalie if they blame them for the team losing.

But there really isn't other options than send goalies back to Europe.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I watched the 4 on 4 scrimmage only. Brief takeaways- Stenlund looked really good, easily best player throughout the games.

Gabriel Carlsson looked really good for a defenseman out there.

I didn't really notice Dubois much at all. Missed on a shoot-out and breakaway attempt. Again this is kind of a 4 on 4 pickup scrimmage which is kind of how it appeared he was taking it.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Finally watched the 4-on-4 tournament. Some thoughts:

- Stenlund was so far ahead of the rest of these guys. Right at the very end of the last game with his team down a goal he lasered a beautiful tape-to-tape pass to the opposite wing and my jaw actually dropped. Then the guy he passed to gave it to Ryan Collins, who turned it over, as you'd expect. Anyway, Stenlund was mentally two or three steps ahead of everyone else on the ice at all times, and he showed a bit of skill with the puck as well. Also, he won a 1-on-3 board battle at one point. You can't take a ton away from these scrimmages as far as genuine evaluation, but "Stenlund is better than all these guys who are younger and mostly smaller than him" seems a fair conclusion to draw.

- Dubois seemed to be kind of taking it easy on the physical end of things, but what I saw from him that I liked was that he was skating hard in both directions. He's got a surprising amount of speed once he gets going.

- Carlsson is ready for the NHL.

- Kole Sherwood showed a pretty solid offensive game, but looked lost a couple times when he was in his own end.

- Jonathan Davidsson has a nice shot.

That's about all I noticed. Peeke, Thurkauf and Bemstrom didn't stand out to me, and everyone else was either a non-roster guy or a real longshot. If Cleveland needs defensive help I might like to see them sign that Scott Savage kid. Disappointed we didn't get to see Abramov or Texier, and Paul Bittner continues to be MIA (is he still having post-concussion problems?).

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Maybe this has been answered already if so sorry

Is Stenlund expected to go back to Sweden this year, or play in Cleveland?

assuming He doesn't stick with the Jackets. I only watched about 15 minutes of camp but man did He look good

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->