Prospect Info: Prospect Camp - June 2017

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yesterday, they decided to cancel today's morning practice because our prospects are just that good.

WhiteWings*

Sep 1, 2016
Kulbakov with a shutout, stops Sherwood on penalty shot and then Dubois on a breakaway. Maybe you guys have signed the wrong European goalie from the USHL?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Kulbakov with a shutout, stops Sherwood on penalty shot and then Dubois on a breakaway. Maybe you guys have signed the wrong European goalie from the USHL?

Its development camp.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Drafted the wrong USHL goalie (Thome) perhaps. Can Kulbakov be signed? His birthday is less than a month after Kivlenieks but is September 18th. Not sure if there's any cut dates.

With the CHL banning import goalies, these goalies are going to the USHL and likely don't want to go to the NCAA. But the question is whether or not they are prepared for professional hockey by only playing in the USHL.

Where is Kulbakov playing this season? The USHL? He hasn't committed to a NCAA team.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Anyone with some time should check it out, the stream has some good insight from JD and Jarmo.

As far as the 4 v 4 goes my first thought was holy hell, these guys are huge, and then you notice a guy like Stenlund, he looks like the biggest player out there. And he was easily the best player on the ice today IMO. He definitely has some work to do, like he definitely needs to get stronger and maybe add a little weight to his frame, he needs to fine tune his stick handling, but that could just be nerves/exhaustion. He tried some pretty nice dangles he just couldn't quite pull off, but it's nice to see him not be afraid to make a play. Jarmo confirmed he's going back overseas this season and should be stateside next season. I think he might get half a season of the AHL, but I could see him being the guy who allows us to move Dubinsky. He reminds of Johansen, big kid who doesn't quite fully know how to take advantage of his size, but when he does he's dangerous. I'll take some heat for saying this, and it's a longshot, but I think he could end up outshining PLD. I see him as a more confident, bigger version of Wennberg that's not afraid to throw the puck on net whether he has a Lane or has to make one with a toe drag. It's pretty obvious that he's been playing with men compared to most everybody else out there.

As far as PLD goes, I think he's without a doubt ready to compete for a spot. He wasn't overly flashy, but it was all the small things. His feet are always moving, he always seems to be the first forward back on the back check and then he hustles up to be on the forecheck. And even if he wasn't directly involved he was just outside the play ready to pounce.

Carlsson is the other player besides Stenlund who really stood out size wise. I think they said he lost some fat and gained like 12lbs of muscle? He looks really solid and not afraid to make things happen offensively. Training camp is going to be a battle royale between Nuutivara and Carlsson for that final spot if Murray stays.

Jonathan Davidsson, this kid has some potential, it might take a couple years of development and some patience, but he had a few really nice goals.

Kole Sherwood looks big and ready to play. Scored a couple nice goals, I could definitely see him getting a season or two in the AHL and then getting a chance to prove himself in the bottom 6 similar to Anderson, but more offensive minded.

Thurkaf looked pretty good and he had a helluva snipe.

And idk if it's been said or mentioned anywhere but Kivlenieks is going to be playing in Cleveland next season.

Last edited:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Drafted the wrong USHL goalie (Thome) perhaps. Can Kulbakov be signed? His birthday is less than a month after Kivlenieks but is September 18th. Not sure if there's any cut dates.

With the CHL banning import goalies, these goalies are going to the USHL and likely don't want to go to the NCAA. But the question is whether or not they are prepared for professional hockey by only playing in the USHL.

Where is Kulbakov playing this season? The USHL? He hasn't committed to a NCAA team.

Yes he can be signed.

And agreed about the not wanting to go to college. Still can't believe the CHL was dumb enough to do that.

Superscout

Aug 15, 2007
Anyone with some time should check it out, the stream has some good insight from JD and Jarmo.

As far as the 4 v 4 goes my first thought was holy hell, these guys are huge, and then you notice a guy like Stenlund, he looks like the biggest player out there. And he was easily the best player on the ice today IMO. He definitely has some work to do, like he definitely needs to get stronger and maybe add a little weight to his frame, he needs to fine tune his stick handling, but that could just be nerves/exhaustion. He tried some pretty nice dangles he just couldn't quite pull off, but it's nice to see him not be afraid to make a play. Jarmo confirmed he's going back overseas this season and should be stateside next season. I think he might get half a season of the AHL, but I could see him being the guy who allows us to move Dubinsky. He reminds of Johansen, big kid who doesn't quite fully know how to take advantage of his size, but when he does he's dangerous. I'll take some heat for saying this, and it's a longshot, but I think he could end up outshining PLD. I see him as a more confident, bigger version of Wennberg that's not afraid to throw the puck on net whether he has a Lane or has to make one with a toe drag. It's pretty obvious that he's been playing with men compared to most everybody else out there.

As far as PLD goes, I think he's without a doubt ready to compete for a spot. He wasn't overly flashy, but it was all the small things. His feet are always moving, he always seems to be the first forward back on the back check and then he hustles up to be on the forecheck. And even if he wasn't directly involved he was just outside the play ready to pounce.

Carlsson is the other player besides Stenlund who really stood out size wise. I think they said he lost some fat and gained like 12lbs of muscle? He looks really solid and not afraid to make things happen offensively. Training camp is going to be a battle royale between Nuutivara and Carlsson for that final spot if Murray stays.

Jonathan Davidsson, this kid has some potential, it might take a couple years of development and some patience, but he had a few really nice goals.

Kole Sherwood looks big and ready to play. Scored a couple nice goals, I could definitely see him getting a season or two in the AHL and then getting a chance to prove himself in the bottom 6 similar to Anderson, but more offensive minded.

Thurkaf looked pretty good and he had a helluva snipe.

And idk if it's been said or mentioned anywhere but Kivlenieks is going to be playing in Cleveland next season.

Assessment on Hodgson, MacIntyre, Desrochers, Melconian?

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
And he was easily the best player on the ice today IMO...I'll take some heat for saying this, and it's a longshot, but I think he could end up outshining PLD.

I'll go on record as saying I agree with you, at least at this point. Stenlund's got the advantage in terms of age and having played in a men's league, so maybe over time PLD closes the gap as his experience catches up to his talent. But for now, I felt like Stenlund was the better player.

As far as PLD goes, I think he's without a doubt ready to compete for a spot. He wasn't overly flashy, but it was all the small things.

Every year I go to devo camp thinking it's dumb to read too much into it and every year I manage to draw sweeping conclusions in spite of myself.

This year, that sweeping conclusion is that PLD is going to be disappointing. I just don't see it. I guess one year removed from a #3 overall pick, I'm looking for a dominant performance and not the small things. Doing small things well is for the first year in the league when he's a bit overmatched and confused, but you can see the flashes. Playing against a bunch of similarly aged players who aren't as highly touted, my expectations are higher.

Keep in mind, I came away from devo camp many years ago thinking Tomas Kubalik was a poor man's Zherdev so what the hell do I know?

Bobby MacIntyre didn't do anything outstanding, but I think he played well enough and his stats are interesting enough that signing him to a contract can't be a bad thing.

Finally, I ended up sitting next to Tyler Bird's mom just by happy coincidence - poached a vacated seat in the top row near center ice (too bad for you and your tiny bladder, tattooed beardy guy!) and she struck up a bit of a conversation. Very nice lady and clearly proud of her son.

Couple of things she mentioned:
* Says he's more focused on making the NHL than she's ever seen anyone be focused on anything.
* After the season, she expected him to take some time off just to recharge, said he was back in their home gym the day after school ended and puts in about 5 hours per day working on his game in some form.
* Estimates he takes about 15k practice shots per off-season. She and her husband went the extent that they built a practice shooting range in their back yard. All three of the kids are hockey players, so they all use it (other 2 kids are both younger, both d-men. She said she thought his 17 year old brother could probably get drafted as well, but isn't driven to play professionally like Tyler is).
* Most interestingly, she said that he plays in a "pro summer league" (I think that was how she phrased it. I guess it's some kind of summer league in the Boston area where pros play during the off-season) and he always does really well. Feels like he doesn't have the style of game to stand out for the college game and says she wishes she could get the CBJ brass to come see him in that venue because it would open their eyes to his potential in a way they're not seeing from his college play.

Unrelated to Tyler, she said she's a friend of Ray Shero and said that Shero told her the Nat is the hardest place in the NHL to play when it's rocking. Specifically *****ed to her about the cannon.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'll go on record as saying I agree with you, at least at this point. Stenlund's got the advantage in terms of age and having played in a men's league, so maybe over time PLD closes the gap as his experience catches up to his talent. But for now, I felt like Stenlund was the better player.

Every year I go to devo camp thinking it's dumb to read too much into it and every year I manage to draw sweeping conclusions in spite of myself.

This year, that sweeping conclusion is that PLD is going to be disappointing. I just don't see it. I guess one year removed from a #3 overall pick, I'm looking for a dominant performance and not the small things. Doing small things well is for the first year in the league when he's a bit overmatched and confused, but you can see the flashes. Playing against a bunch of similarly aged players who aren't as highly touted, my expectations are higher.

Keep in mind, I came away from devo camp many years ago thinking Tomas Kubalik was a poor man's Zherdev so what the hell do I know?

I just see him being developed similar to Johansen. Let him develop defensively and then start giving him added responsibility as he shows he's ready. And for what it's worth JD said he thinks it would be a waste for him to go back to Jr's as he dominated the last half of the season and the playoffs. And the way he was talking he said PLD dragged his team to the finals. But then Jarmo said they want him to not just come in and play, they want him to contribute. But they both made it clear that they're not just gonna give him a spot, he has to earn it. And PLD said as much in his interview as well.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
All of this PLD talk has me thinking in general about how funny draft pick selections are and how they can and cant matter. Lets just compare Abramov and Dubois, two totally different players who play different roles, for funs sake. One drafted in the third round, one drafted third overall. One would think the guy drafted third overall would score more points and be touted as one of the best players in the Q over the third round draft pick. Unfortunately, it seems as if Abramov is truly excelling well above his ceiling so far and Dubois is falling short. Obviously it is very early, but wouldnt it be crazy if Abramov made the team and PLD did not? A long shot I know but I did read somewhere on Twitter that Abramov's goal, more than anything, is to make the team out of camp. We shall see if that happens or not. I look at Dubois' game and there is nothing he does that really make me think he is exceptional, maybe that is not exactly a flaw but he doesnt really wow you at first glance. Abramov is a guy who can be jaw dropping on the other hand, an interesting idea to think about and how all this translates to NHL success. Im not claiming to be any kind of expert, but something tells me Torts is not going to be impressed with Dubois and he might have some trouble making the team. Same thing goes for Vitaly but I think he will impress Torts more so. Thats the end of bumbling rant, thanks for reading:D

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I get the impression torts is more impressed with players who skate their ass off from the start to finish of their shift, and the kinda player who take care of their given assignment. I don't think points and flash matter as much as continual growth as a player and being someone the team can count on.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
PLD was very underwhelming, can't take too much away from a Dev camp however for a 1st round pick playing against his peers, he should be dominating or just doing the "little things" or whatever tf that means.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Do we even know if Dubois actually seperated his shoulder and if so hes probably taking it a bit easy so he can be at camp but not tweak anything again. Ill hold my judgement for now but even though hes not shooting or dropping his shoulder and driving the net he still is making those beauty little passes he makes.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
I wouldn't read too much into how any player performed in the 4-on-4.

I mean, it is essentially a scrimmage, not a tryout or the pre-season. Players likely didn't have a chance to settle into whatever their roles or styles are. If it weren't for 'coaches' or a trophy, I wouldn't view the 4-on-4 as much more than a drop-in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad