Prospect Info: Prospect Camp - June 2017

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
So day 1 is over.. and there's zero observation posts... anyone??

I made it down for the afternoon session. Quick observations:

This session was high tempo -- lots of quarter rink 3 on 3 action. Was a lot of fun to watch.

Group 1 was stacked with Dubois, Stenlund, Sherwood, Carlsson.

First time seeing Stenlund and I came away VERY impressed! Guy is huge and moves great for his size. He was active and involved with a good amount of skill to boot - definitely was the overall standout for me today.

Dubois wasn't bad but wasn't great either. I think what bothers me most about him is it just doesn't look like he's going 100% all the time. Might just be the style of his game but he should be dominating a camp like this and he doesn't. Still waiting for him to "turn it on" so to speak.

Continue to love Sherwood -- unlike Dubois this kid is always going. Just a great overall package with his size, motor, skating, puck skills. Very interested to see what kind of damage he does in the AHL this season and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see him get a few cups of coffee with the big squad at some point.

Carlsson is just smooth. Really like his game.

Kid from Powell held his own in there. Kind of reminded me of Vogelhuber at the same point in his development.

Group 2 was without Abramov which was a bummer but had some standouts for me as well.

Biggest one was the kid we signed out of Clarkson, Sam Vigneault. Great size on this guy and some nifty puck skills. Seemed to be everywhere. Really solid first impression.

Looked forward to seeing Thurkauf and he did not disappoint. Best compliment I can give is he just plays a solid pro style game and worked hard.

Some of the FA invites like Hodgson and McMann played well and what the Davidson kid lacks in size he makes up with in quickness.

Saw Brad Shaw watching the first group and Torts watched the second group.

Obviously it's hard to watch them all closely but there's some observations to chew on.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I made it down for the afternoon session. Quick observations:

This session was high tempo -- lots of quarter rink 3 on 3 action. Was a lot of fun to watch.

Group 1 was stacked with Dubois, Stenlund, Sherwood, Carlsson.

First time seeing Stenlund and I came away VERY impressed! Guy is huge and moves great for his size. He was active and involved with a good amount of skill to boot - definitely was the overall standout for me today.

Dubois wasn't bad but wasn't great either. I think what bothers me most about him is it just doesn't look like he's going 100% all the time. Might just be the style of his game but he should be dominating a camp like this and he doesn't. Still waiting for him to "turn it on" so to speak.

Continue to love Sherwood -- unlike Dubois this kid is always going. Just a great overall package with his size, motor, skating, puck skills. Very interested to see what kind of damage he does in the AHL this season and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see him get a few cups of coffee with the big squad at some point.

Carlsson is just smooth. Really like his game.

Kid from Powell held his own in there. Kind of reminded me of Vogelhuber at the same point in his development.

Group 2 was without Abramov which was a bummer but had some standouts for me as well.

Biggest one was the kid we signed out of Clarkson, Sam Vigneault. Great size on this guy and some nifty puck skills. Seemed to be everywhere. Really solid first impression.

Looked forward to seeing Thurkauf and he did not disappoint. Best compliment I can give is he just plays a solid pro style game and worked hard.

Some of the FA invites like Hodgson and McMann played well and what the Davidson kid lacks in size he makes up with in quickness.

Saw Brad Shaw watching the first group and Torts watched the second group.

Obviously it's hard to watch them all closely but there's some observations to chew on.

I honestly think Stenlund is one of my favorite prospects in our system right now. I'm hoping he's able to steal a spot in the next couple of seasons.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Stenlund is just coasting right now. He hasn't done any of the warmup drills right and he keeps shooting pucks at other players pucks. It's bugging me. This isn't a stick and puck dude! Do the drills.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Stenlund is just coasting right now. He hasn't done any of the warmup drills right and he keeps shooting pucks at other players pucks. It's bugging me. This isn't a stick and puck dude! Do the drills.

This is disconcerting. Sounds like it could be a lack of discipline.

If such is the case, he is likely not long for a Torts-coached team.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

Completely opposite of what I saw yesterday. Dude was working his bag off.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
It is just a camp. Not every player plays perfect/hard every time they play. You are overreacting big time.

Last edited:

barker11

Jun 28, 2017
Mel Melconian

Can anyone provide me with some details as to how Melconian has been preforming ?

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Absences among prospects yet to play North American pro hockey:

Tarasov (only 2017 draft pick not present)
Quenneville
Soberg
Ruopp
Merzlikins

Have we lost the rights to any of the last four?

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Absences among prospects yet to play North American pro hockey:

Tarasov (only 2017 draft pick not present)
Quenneville
Soberg
Ruopp
Merzlikins

Have we lost the rights to any of the last four?
I think Ruopp is gone, and possibly Soberg as well. I think there's a rule by which we have retained Merzliknis.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think Ruopp is gone, and possibly Soberg as well. I think there's a rule by which we have retained Merzliknis.

Correct on Elvis - since the NHL does not have a transfer agreement with the NLA (the league Elvis plays in), he's technically on the "suspended non-roster list" or something like that. Basically, his four-year window hasn't started ticking like it normally would for European prospects.

Ruopp - we let go back into this past draft
Soberg - no longer hold rights
Tarasov - just drafted, hold his rights
Quenneville - no longer hold rights

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Changed to a 4 on 4 tournament.

I have gone to this thing for the past 5-6 years but am going to skip it this year. Hope everyone who goes has a good time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad