Prospect Camp Free-Agent Try-Outs

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Does anyone know how these two players did at camp?

Henderson was an overager last season, who started the season as a defensive, penalty-killer forward (nothing wrong with that, mind you) but moved on to become a quality 30+ goal-scorer. It would be nice to see him sign an AHL contract for next season, so I was just wondering how he performed at the Hawks camp.

Kelly is a good shut-down defenceman who was eligible for this year's draft but went undrafted. Also, the Thrashers have drafted Boris Valabik and Dan Turple, and they invited Justin Azevedo to camp last season, so I was wondering if they are the new New Jersey when it comes to taking Rangers (Fraser, Clarkson, Davis, Halischuk) ;)

Henderson got 2g 2a in 4 games in Chicago's camp. I haven't heard anything about them signing him and to be honest with Chicago's prospect depth i think his chances are pretty low. It's possible that they could sign him for a bit of depth in Rockford but even then he'd be hard pressed to win a roster spot against everyone Chicago has in the AHL. However with his performance i could see some other teams with fewer prospects looking at him to play in the AHL.

Hellström

Sep 22, 2002
according to the HF article:

F Ryan DePape (already listed), D Mike Berube (Red Deer - WHL), G Jonathan Larose (Drumheller - AJHL), D Matt Pepe (Kitchener - OHL) , D Nick Holden (Chilliwack - WHL), D Ryan McGinnis (Oshawa - OHL), F Charlie Kronschnabel (Alaska Anchorage - NCAA) and F Vitaly Karamnov (according to the article no free agent...) are attending Oilers camp this year.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
Back in the 80s, the Flames had a deal with the UK, where the top British player would get invited to training camp (which is why the Oilers drafted him in the 12th round - just to annoy Calgary). Do the Rangers have a similar deal with the Japanese hockey association? It's nice to see players from non-traditional hockey countries get experience like this...maybe their experience will rub off on fellow players back in Japan.

The group even includes two players from Japan, who are making history in participating at the camp. No Japanese-trained player has ever participated in a Rangers training camp before, but Masahito Suzuki and Masafumi Ogawa are getting a chance to experience both North American hockey and an NHL atmosphere after spending the past season with the Oji Paper team in the Asian Hockey League. Ogawa also played for Japan's national team at the World Championships.

"One of our scouts, Frank Effinger, has a relationship with a member of the Japanese Ice Hockey Federation. They communicated with him and asked if it would be possible for a couple of players to come over and join this camp," said Renney. "I've had the good fortune of having a fair amount to do with the Japanese Ice Hockey Federation as well when I was coaching Team Canada. So I kind of understand that partnership that you should make with countries that are trying to entrench themselves deeper in the game. I talked to Glen (Sather) about it, and he was completely behind it."

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
The Flyers posted a list for their rookie camp a few weeks ago and have made additions to it since then (from what I can tell)...

Some FAs on the list...I am pretty sure Stefanishion, Wilson, and Dowzak are FAs, but there may be others, too. Is Henrich a FA? Hopefully, a Flyers fan or someone else will chime in.

Link to Flyers Rookie Camp - Scheduled to Attend

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
The Flyers posted a list for their rookie camp a few weeks ago and have made additions to it since then (from what I can tell)...

Some FAs on the list...I am pretty sure Stefanishion, Wilson, and Dowzak are FAs, but there may be others, too. Is Henrich a FA? Hopefully, a Flyers fan or someone else will chime in.

Link to Flyers Rookie Camp - Scheduled to Attend

Matt Stephanishion. RW.
Adam Henrich. LW.
Tysen Dowzak. D.
Max Desjardins-Ouimet. D.
Chad Anderson. D.
Adam Bourque-Leblanc. D.
Ryan Wilson. D.

And also invited to regular camp - Stephan Lebeau, 37. I hope he adds to his 15 games played, he was once considered a "good" prospect in the early 90's - lol.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Matt Stephanishion. RW.
Adam Henrich. LW.
Tysen Dowzak. D.
Max Desjardins-Ouimet. D.
Chad Anderson. D.
Adam Bourque-Leblanc. D.
Ryan Wilson. D.

And also invited to regular camp - Stephan Lebeau, 37. I hope he adds to his 15 games played, he was once considered a "good" prospect in the early 90's - lol.

actually, it was stephan's brother, patrick.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
John Kurtz was actually invited by Tampa, not detroit.

He was invited to Tampa's, but chose Detroit instead.
http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=da0ace4f-d5da-4455-812a-92dddb77a41e

The rest of Detroit's invites:

Scott Jackson - Seattle (WHL)
Yves Bastien - Peterborough (OHL)
Dave Jarram - Oshawa (OHL)
Pier-Olivier Pelletier - Drummoundville (QMJHL)
Chad Greenan - Kootenay (WHL)
Scott Brannon - Cape Breton (QMJHL)
Victor Bartlet - Kamloops (WHL)
Patrik Magnusson - HV71 (SWE J-20)
Dominic Vicari (ECHL)
Josh Aspenlind - Chilliwack (WHL)

I'm glad the Wings are going to have a look at Yves Bastien, kid can really skate and has a lot of upside. If he overcomes his lack of size, he could be a player.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Pens:

D Tyler Cuthbert
F Matt Caria
F Kevin Henderson

Players trying out that were drafted by Penguins but not signed and are free agents:

D JP Paquet
F Brian Ihnacak

Signed to AHL contract, NHL free agents:

D Ben Lovejoy
F Kyle Rank

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
The Senators have 9 players on amateur/professional tryouts as part of their rookie camp:

Professional tryouts:
RW - Chaz Johnson (Rockford - UHL)
D - Geoff Waugh (Johnstown - ECHL)

Amateur tryouts:
LW - Clayton Bauer (Kootenay - WHL)
RW - Steven Dasilva (Kootenay - WHL)
RW - Curtis Billsten (Kootenay - WHL)
D - Andrew Marshall (Barrie - OHL)
LW - Brett Gallant (Saint John - QMJHL)
C - Garrett Festerling (Regina - WHL)
C - Kevin Baker (Sudbury - OHL)

Also, 1 player (Tyler Donati - Belleville (OHL)) will be at the rookie camp who is not signed to an NHL contract, rather an AHL contract. Hence, he is technically an NHL free agent.

http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=336240

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad