Prospect Camp Free-Agent Try-Outs

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I will also add the rookie camp invites from September into this thread.

Cool. I'll keep my eyes peeled once the Sabres head to camp. Granted, Team Cheap will probably not have any undrafteed invitees at training camp....

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Caps just finished dev camp on Saturday

8 non-Caps players/picks in attendance (team last season)

Bryan Lerg, Michigan State
Dylan Yeo, Calgary Hitmen
Dan Kronick, St Cloud St
Paul Crowder, Alaska Anchorage
Jeff LoVecchio, Western Michigan
Sean Backman, Yale
Jay Beagle, Alaska- Anchorage and then ECHL, Idaho
Mike Radja, UNH

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Dan Kronick, St Cloud St
Sean Backman, Yale
Mike Radja, UNH

Maybe that's why Bryan Lerg wasn't scrimmaging Tuesday or Wednesday -- he was at the Sabres dev camp the week before the Caps. He must've had travel time. Too funny...

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Maybe that's why Bryan Lerg wasn't scrimmaging Tuesday or Wednesday -- he was at the Sabres dev camp the week before the Caps. He must've had travel time. Too funny...

I saw your post about that when you noted his absence from a scrimmage; timeline wise, Caps dev camp report day was Tuesday 7/10 and the first day on ice was Wed 7/11.

For a UFA, if you have more than one invite, it makes sense to take advantage and get as much exposure as possible.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I saw your post about that when you noted his absence from a scrimmage; timeline wise, Caps dev camp report day was Tuesday 7/10 and the first day on ice was Wed 7/11.

For a UFA, if you have more than one invite, it makes sense to take advantage and get as much exposure as possible.

Yep, that makes plenty of sense, especially considering I doubt highly that Team Cheap would fork out anything for any of their invitees. It certainly is great exposure and a chance to work with professional coaches and strenght-and-conditioning people. If nothing else, it'll benefit him when he gets back on the ice for MSU.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Yep, that makes plenty of sense, especially considering I doubt highly that Team Cheap would fork out anything for any of their invitees. It certainly is great exposure and a chance to work with professional coaches and strenght-and-conditioning people. If nothing else, it'll benefit him when he gets back on the ice for MSU.

Agree about the opportunity on and off the ice during these camps. Also, for a player with college eligibility remaining, if they make the right impression, a team may scout them more closely next season.

I know the players retaining NCAA eligibility, whether team property or not, have to pay their own way...travel, hotel, etc.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agree about the opportunity on and off the ice during these camps. Also, for a player with college eligibility remaining, if they make the right impression, a team may scout them more closely next season.

I know the players retaining NCAA eligibility, whether team property or not, have to pay their own way...travel, hotel, etc.

I have a feeling a lot of the locals were putting people up --- Kennedy, Mueller, Lerg (and Tropp) are at MSU. I would expect either of Kennedy's or Mueller's families to be able to put someone up for the week since their all still NCAA eligible.

Fortius

May 23, 2007
Any word about Josh Godfrey (Sault Ste. Marie)? Kept hearing he'd get a shot somewhere (I think STL last year), but haven't heard anything so far.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Any word about Josh Godfrey (Sault Ste. Marie)? Kept hearing he'd get a shot somewhere (I think STL last year), but haven't heard anything so far.

Godfrey was drafted by the Caps in the 2nd round this year and he was in attendance at the Caps dev camp.

Chain...makes sense for the Buffalo camp given the unique situation with the teammates from the area

Chinstrap

Jun 30, 2007
I will keep this list updated as more players are added. If you know of any free agent prospects trying out for your team please add them to the thread. You will see some doubles as players get invited to one teams prospect camp and another teams prospect tourney.

Rangers - Peter Boldt - Forward - Dartmouth (NCAA)
Rangers - Adam Bourque - Defense - Shawinigan (QMJHL)
Rangers - Jonathan Carrier - Defense - Gatineau (QMJHL)
Rangers - Justin DiBenedetto - Center - Sarnia (OHL)
Rangers - Jack Downing - Forward - Omaha (USHL)
Rangers - Andrew Gallant - Goaltender - Manhattanville (NCAA)
Rangers - Masafumi Ogawa - Forward - Oji Paper (Japan)
Rangers - Brad Roberts - Goaltender - Army (NCAA)
Rangers - Ben Rosen - Defense - Des Moines (USHL)
Rangers - Masahito Suzuki - Forward - Oji Paper (Japan)

Back in the 80s, the Flames had a deal with the UK, where the top British player would get invited to training camp (which is why the Oilers drafted him in the 12th round - just to annoy Calgary). Do the Rangers have a similar deal with the Japanese hockey association? It's nice to see players from non-traditional hockey countries get experience like this...maybe their experience will rub off on fellow players back in Japan.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

Dan Kronick, St Cloud St
Sean Backman, Yale
Mike Radja, UNH

If you got to watch any of it, I'm curious how Kronick looked.
He's not much of a skater but he has decent hands around the net and likes to hit.
Also, any opinion on Andrew Gordon?

Chinstrap

Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta - Arron Alphonso - Forward - Ottawa (OHL)
Atlanta - Derek Whitmore - Forward - Bowling Green (NCAA)
Atlanta - Dan Kelly - Defense - Kitchener (OHL)
Atlanta - Matt Krug - Defense - Wayne State (NCAA)
Atlanta - Dinos Stamoulis - Defense - Providence (NCAA)
Atlanta - Chris Kamal - Goaltender - Gilmour (HS)
Atlanta - Andrew Perugini - Goaltender - Barrie (OHL)
Atlanta - Spencer Anderson - Forward - Brampton (OPJHL)

Chicago - Jared Walker - Left Wing - Prince George (WHL)
Chicago - Bryan McGregor - Wing - U. of Minnesota-Duluth (NCAA)
Chicago - Mathieu Roy - Left Wing - Val d'Or (QMJHL)
Chicago - Hunter Tremblay - Left Wing - Barrie (OHL)
Chicago - Matt MacDonald - Defense - Cincinnati (ECHL)
Chicago - Joe Loprieno - Defense - Merrimack (NCAA)
Chicago - Maxime Lincourt - Right Wing - Moncton (QMHJL)
Chicago - Andrew Hotham - Left Wing - Saginaw (OHL)
Chicago - Jeff Jakaitis - Goaltender - Lake Superior State (NCAA)
Chicago - Kevin Henderson - Left Wing - Kitchener (OHL)
Chicago - Pierre-Luc Faubert - Right Wing - Lewiston (QMHJL)
Chicago - Erik Fabian - Forward - U of Notrth Dakota (NCAA)
Chicago - Rob Drummond - Center - London (OHL)
Chicago - Kellen Briggs - Goaltender - U of Minnesota (NCAA)
Chicago - Nate Dey - Forward - St. Cloud (NCAA)
Chicago - Ryan Baldwin - Right Wing - Windsor (OHL)

Does anyone know how these two players did at camp?

Henderson was an overager last season, who started the season as a defensive, penalty-killer forward (nothing wrong with that, mind you) but moved on to become a quality 30+ goal-scorer. It would be nice to see him sign an AHL contract for next season, so I was just wondering how he performed at the Hawks camp.

Kelly is a good shut-down defenceman who was eligible for this year's draft but went undrafted. Also, the Thrashers have drafted Boris Valabik and Dan Turple, and they invited Justin Azevedo to camp last season, so I was wondering if they are the new New Jersey when it comes to taking Rangers (Fraser, Clarkson, Davis, Halischuk) ;)

Last edited:

________

Feb 6, 2006
Wild (I know May and Graham have already been menitoned)
F Moises Gutierrez Everett(WHL)
F Brennan Vargas USNDP
F Ryan Graham St John's(QMJHL)
D Jeff May Prince Albert(WHL)
D Maxim Noreau Victoriaville(QMJHL)

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
I went to 'Hawks prospect camp one day and saw Henderson on a break (didn't score). He had a basically empty net goal on the day, but didn't impress me too much. With the 'Hawks prospect depth at forward, I doubt he'll get a contract.

He went 4 games with 2goals and 2 assists, bytheway, good for fifth (behind kane, toews, ford, and aliu).

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Stich hurt his knee near the end of the season, which scared teams away.

He is very solid positionally, has a cannon, and may be too passionate. (When guys hit him, he looks for the opportunity to make them regret it)

His offensive upside is questionable given the strict system Saint John (his Q team) plays, but defensively, he is a stud.

Walzy

Stich hurt his knee near the end of the season, which scared teams away.

He is very solid positionally, has a cannon, and may be too passionate. (When guys hit him, he looks for the opportunity to make them regret it)

His offensive upside is questionable given the strict system Saint John (his Q team) plays, but defensively, he is a stud.

well, he wasn't there :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad