Prospect Association Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Here are (as of April) Mckeen's top 15 prospects for the 2005 draft. Associate each player with an established NHLer' s style based on the merits of the kid's game.

Here's mine:

1 - Sidney Crosby C - Forsberg

2 - Jack Johnson D - Leetch

3 - Gilbert Brule C - T. Ruutu

4 - Tuukka Rask G - Giguere

5 - Bobby Ryan RW - Guerin

6 - Alex Bourret RW - Morrow

7 - Carey Price G - Aubin

8 - Benoit Pouliot C - Nieuwendyk

9 - Jack Skille RW - Klatt

10 - Anze Kopitar RW - Straka

11 - Ryan O'Marra C - Linden

12 - Marek Zagrapan C - Zhamnov

13 - Devin Setoguchi RW - Fisher

14 - Guillaume Latendresse RW - Daze (except he hits)

15 - Nicklas Bergfors RW - Audette

The Joker*

very nice post, I say 3/15 turn out to be as good as their associated player :P

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oil3rs said:
very nice post, I say 3/15 turn out to be as good as their associated player :P

Read the post again. I said " Associate each player with an established NHLer' s style". Not "How good will each player turn out". Of course some will bust. It's about styles of play, not reaching full potential.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
The Ruutu comparison for Brule is a very good one...I'm suprised I never thought of it. Nice work.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
would be cool if you could provide some explanation beside each association, especially for those who haven't yet seen these pospects

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Brule/Ruutu is a cool comparison, but ones bigger and is a winger (and is left handed) the other is smaller and a centre.

Johnson would be compared to Jovanovski in my books.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Brule/Ruutu is a cool comparison, but ones bigger and is a winger (and is left handed) the other is smaller and a centre.

Johnson would be compared to Jovanovski in my books.

Yeah but isn't jovo about 6'4''? Johnson is only 6'1''. I haven't seen that much of him but his main attribute seems to be his mobility like Leetch. He is about Leetch's dimensions too. I think Jovo is more of a physical force than JJ although the kid takes care of his own end efficiently.

True that there are differences between Ruutu and Brule. I only said their games are similar, not that they are twins. They both have grit, passion, mobility though not really speedsters. Both rather shoot and both are playing centre these days. But I think Brule will end up as a winger. Of course that will end up being the decision of whichever NHL coach he falls on.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
I have to agree with Maguire and that Jack Johnson reminds me more of a Chelios than a Leetch. Johnson has a much more physical game than Leetch and is a similar build to Chelios.

The closest comparison to Benoit Pouliot is Lecavelier. He has that silky smooth skating and moves like Vinny. He's not as good as Vinny was at that age but that's who he reminds me of at times.

I finally got to watch Anze Kopitar play and he doesn't remind me of Straka. I didn't see his offensive game displayed too much, as Slovenia doesn't have much of a team, but I know he is considered more of a shooter and has been compared to Vanek. What, I really liked about Kopitar's game is that he was fairly good on the draw and that he was really hustling out there and backchecking hard. And though he is a knock-kneed skater his skating is not a problem area. He definitely held his own out there against the pros.

soilwork2004

Nov 18, 2004

excellent comparisons. i haven't seen much day to day stuff of crosby though. is he actually as physical as foppa?

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
soilwork2004 said:
excellent comparisons. i haven't seen much day to day stuff of crosby though. is he actually as physical as foppa?

No he is not as physical as Forsberg. He reminds me of a less physical Forsberg blended with a smaller, shiftier guy like Kariya.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Blue Bullet said:
No he is not as physical as Forsberg. He reminds me of a less physical Forsberg blended with a smaller, shiftier guy like Kariya.

Crosby reminds me a lot of Dale Hawerchuk.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
The Macho Man said:
Both rather shoot and both are playing centre these days. But I think Brule will end up as a winger. Of course that will end up being the decision of whichever NHL coach he falls on.

The number of shifts Ruutu played at center in the last 2 calendar years can be counted on one hand.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Weird....I always compare Bourret to Ruutu. Crushing, punishing checks from a guy that you wouldn't expect them from with speed and skill as well.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
The Macho Man said:
Here are (as of April) Mckeen's top 15 prospects for the 2005 draft. Associate each player with an established NHLer' s style based on the merits of the kid's game.

Here's mine:

1 - Sidney Crosby C - Forsberg

2 - Jack Johnson D - Leetch

3 - Gilbert Brule C - T. Ruutu

4 - Tuukka Rask G - Giguere

5 - Bobby Ryan RW - Guerin

6 - Alex Bourret RW - Morrow

7 - Carey Price G - Aubin

8 - Benoit Pouliot C - Nieuwendyk

10 - Anze Kopitar RW - Straka

11 - Ryan O'Marra C - Linden

12 - Marek Zagrapan C - Zhamnov

13 - Devin Setoguchi RW - Fisher

14 - Guillaume Latendresse RW - Daze (except he hits)

15 - Nicklas Bergfors RW - Audette
no...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
MS said:
Crosby reminds me a lot of Dale Hawerchuk.
whoa...another really good comparison. I watched some old tapes I have, and this is a really good comparison.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
slats432 said:
Weird....I always compare Bourret to Ruutu. Crushing, punishing checks from a guy that you wouldn't expect them from with speed and skill as well.

Ruutu has game breaking talent. He will likely score 40 in an goal scoring deprived NHL. And sooner rather than later. Although I love Bourret, I don't think he has that kind of upside. He seems like he'll be more of a supporting cast top liner.

Bourret is the Pippen to a Jordan. Ruutu is the Jordan to almost any Pippen.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
rtafts said:

Klatt?! Ouch. :P

Skille has size and grind and the right kind of attitude. IMO he just doesn't have the finnish to be a top end NHLer. You know not all of these guys will become perenial All-Stars. This isn't even close to the 2003 class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad