Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Aaltonen is much, much better than Gauthier.

Which sucks to say because I like Gauthier.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Me too .. I mean I don't know if he would have cracked the Leafs roster as he has done in Colorado, but he would have been nice for depth as well as give the Leafs potential 4C options like with Goat.

I mean maybe they didn't see anything but a 4C as his ceiling, and with the Goat already around, perhaps they didn't want to spend a contract spot on him?
The contract spot makes sense to me and the redundancy of having 2 4th line centers

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't think we will see Gauthier up again, barring injuries. I can even see him released if contracts become an issue. I feel the Goat blew his last chance up here, he actually got worse with each game.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
To be fair Toninato isn't lighting it up. They both have 1 point and goat has less games played

Good to see Borgman back in the lineup for the Marlies today

I'm not worried about points in our 4th line center

All I care about is can he defend competently getting tough zone starts and does he have good possession numbers and tilt the ice in our favor?

Gauthier doesn't do either

Borgman coming back is great news, he needs big minutes and PK time just in case we need him again

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm not worried about points in our 4th line center

All I care about is can he defend competently getting tough zone starts and does he have good possession numbers and tilt the ice in our favor?

Gauthier doesn't do either

Borgman coming back is great news, he needs big minutes and PK time just in case we need him again
Agreed about the 4th line duties and I haven't watched the Av's enough to say who's better so I will call myself unqualified to judge who's better there

I think I can see Borgman as a piece we will try to groom as a regular top 6 guy. I like what he brings just needs a little polish to his game

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't think we will see Gauthier up again, barring injuries. I can even see him released if contracts become an issue. I feel the Goat blew his last chance up here, he actually got worse with each game.

Definitely feels like it.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think that injury took a toll on his skating which was just NHL level before it happened
Feel sorry for the kid and upset that Dotchin is still allowed to play hockey

Reactions: DarkKnight

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agreed about the 4th line duties and I haven't watched the Av's enough to say who's better so I will call myself unqualified to judge who's better there

I think I can see Borgman as a piece we will try to groom as a regular top 6 guy. I like what he brings just needs a little polish to his game

Borgman needs to play, he's been useful but getting 10 minutes a night just isn't enough for a kid his age if we want him to be more than he is now

I haven't really watched the Av's either but he'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than Gauthier this season

With overseas and prospect signings Gauthier might be getting into dangerous territory especially as Aaltonen looks better to me

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I still wouldn't mind getting some more centres into the system and try to develop one that could supplant Kadri down the line.

For once though it feels like the prospect pool isn't in dire need of a particular type of player. Now they just have to keep building that depth in all types. Centres, powerfowards, d-men, goalies. Definitely a good time to just keep drafting the BPA.

In the system... sure. Immediate need ie over next 3-5 years, I doubt it. I think nazzy is going to be here for a long time.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
To be fair Toninato isn't lighting it up. They both have 1 point and goat has less games played

Good to see Borgman back in the lineup for the Marlies today

Yeah Toninato's stats aren't that impressive IMO. He's got a nice CF @ 55.8% but the production offensive is meek, his face-off % isn't that great (45%) and he's being sheltered with 63% o-zone starts.

He's also averaging less than 8 minutes per game too .. He also doesn't kill penalties.

While Gauthier's CF is poor at 38% or so, he's also getting 70% d-zone starts... And is almost 50% on the draw.

For the Goat IMO it all comes down to his skating/speed in terms of how much of an NHLer he'll be. Everything else is fine for a fourth line centre.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Gauthier has not shown that he’s nhl caliber. And honestly, I don’t think he ever will.
Based on what exactly? 37 games. If you watched marner for the first 37 games this year you would say the same thing.... I've hated gauthier since the moment he was drafted, but the guy will be an NHL player, you've got that one wrong.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Borgman needs to play, he's been useful but getting 10 minutes a night just isn't enough for a kid his age if we want him to be more than he is now

I haven't really watched the Av's either but he'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than Gauthier this season

With overseas and prospect signings Gauthier might be getting into dangerous territory especially as Aaltonen looks better to me
This might sound strange but we are deeper than Colorado at C especially with Moore and Aaltonen so goat getting a cup of coffee here is good even if it was only to see what we have in him

Borgman needs minutes as you said on the pk too will be huge for him

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah Toninato's stats aren't that impressive IMO. He's got a nice CF @ 55.8% but the production offensive is meek, his face-off % isn't that great (45%) and he's being sheltered with 63% o-zone starts.

He's also averaging less than 8 minutes per game too .. He also doesn't kill penalties.

While Gauthier's CF is poor at 38% or so, he's also getting 70% d-zone starts... And is almost 50% on the draw.

For the Goat IMO it all comes down to his skating/speed in terms of how much of an NHLer he'll be. Everything else is fine for a fourth line centre.
Hmm so it seems like the goat was maybe a smidge better?
I just posted that I think the injury took the edge off his skating and that's what the difference is this year. He was just barely skating at the NHL level and now he is just below it

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Based on what exactly? 37 games. If you watched marner for the first 37 games this year you would say the same thing.... I've hated gauthier since the moment he was drafted, but the guy will be an NHL player, you've got that one wrong.
I hope you're right. I've been in his corner from the start but if he can't bounce back from that injury and regain his skating level from last year I think he will struggle to make the team

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This might sound strange but we are deeper than Colorado at C especially with Moore and Aaltonen so goat getting a cup of coffee here is good even if it was only to see what we have in him

Borgman needs minutes as you said on the pk too will be huge for him

If Borgman wants a regular gig he's got to kill penalties, same for Dermott, Babcock really values that in bottom pairing guys and why Polak still has a job

We're about to really hit a crunch contract wise and we are going to have to be ruthless about who's staying, if Aaltonen is better and Gauthier's skating doesn't improve he's in serious trouble imo

Reactions: Keon1963

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If Borgman wants a regular gig he's got to kill penalties, same for Dermott, Babcock really values that in bottom pairing guys and why Polak still has a job

We're about to really hit a crunch contract wise and we are going to have to be ruthless about who's staying, if Aaltonen is better and Gauthier's skating doesn't improve he's in serious trouble imo
Dermott has been rising in ok minutes and total toi so you know Babcock likes what he sees.
I think with Hainsey Rielly Dermott and Z Borgman will be able to make it even without being a premiere penalty killer. I would be happy with a safe skilled stay at home guy that cam move the puck in a variety of ways

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Dermott has been rising in ok minutes and total toi so you know Babcock likes what he sees.
I think with Hainsey Rielly Dermott and Z Borgman will be able to make it even without being a premiere penalty killer. I would be happy with a safe skilled stay at home guy that cam move the puck in a variety of ways

If he can PK and take some of the load off Hainsey I think we'd be better for it, Hainsey has looked like he's showing some signs of overuse recently

We don't have that one guy capable of eating 25+ minutes so the more work we can spread over everybody the better

Soshnikov with a goal at the Marlies game to, upping that trade value

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If he can PK and take some of the load off Hainsey I think we'd be better for it, Hainsey has looked like he's showing some signs of overuse recently

We don't have that one guy capable of eating 25+ minutes so the more work we can spread over everybody the better

Soshnikov with a goal at the Marlies game to, upping that trade value
I think we are also building a D that doesn't need a 25 minute muncher; defense by comity though I also think Rielly can become a 25 minute a night player

Reactions: Keon1963

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think we are also building a D that doesn't need a 25 minute muncher; defense by comity though I also think Rielly can become a 25 minute a night player

That's why bottom pairing guys like Borgman need to be able to PK, that's time top 4 players can spend playing 5v5 instead of killing penalties

Marlies up 3-2
Soshnikov Rychel and Greening with the goals

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I hope you're right. I've been in his corner from the start but if he can't bounce back from that injury and regain his skating level from last year I think he will struggle to make the team
polak can't even skate and hes on the team, if goat can be a 60% draw man and kill penalties he'll be on the team.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's why bottom pairing guys like Borgman need to be able to PK, that's time top 4 players can spend playing 5v5 instead of killing penalties

Marlies up 3-2
Soshnikov Rychel and Greening with the goals
Ya it would be nice tobhave that luxury but I don't think it will make or break Borgman's chance to crack the roster full time

Johnsson with an apple too! Keeps piling up those points!!!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
polak can't even skate and hes on the team, if goat can be a 60% draw man and kill penalties he'll be on the team.
Polak is fast in a straight line. No edges to speak of though but he pivots fine and has his spacing down pretty well. It's not like he gets walked like Phaneuf did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->