Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Marchment dressed in just 44 games last season split between the Marlies and the ECHL’s Orlando Solar Bears. The Uxbridge, Ont., native spent the rest of the season working with Leafs skating development consultant Barb Underhill and skill development consultant Mike Ellis.

“You see great potential, but (he) just wasn’t in the place where we felt he could contribute every single day,” said Marlies coach Sheldon Keefe. “We just tried to have a little bit of a bigger picture. We felt he needed to take care of his body first and foremost."

“I think development is individual. You need to cater the program for what they need whether it’s skating, strength what have you. In Mason’s case, we thought it was a little bit of everything.”

Marchment, the son of former NHL defenceman Bryan Marchment, has always been a late bloomer. He didn’t start playing minor hockey until the age of eight, he joined the Tier II Cobourg Cougars at 18 and was already 19 by the time he made the jump to the OHL with the Erie Otters.

Following his second OHL season, Marchment signed an amateur tryout with the Marlies to conclude the 2015-16 season. He then signed an AHL contract for the 2016-17 season and agreed to an extension for 2017-18.

Though it was difficult at the time, Marchment now has better appreciation for the college-like approach the organization took with his development last season.

“It wasn’t always easy, but I just kind of stuck with it and kept on working hard and obviously it paid off,” said Marchment.
While serving a recent two-game suspension for cross-checking, Marchment spent extra time after practice working with Underhill as he continues to improve his skating.

“I’ve been working with her for two years. It’s been a big improvement,” he said. “Just edge work and stuff like that. Overall she’s definitely helped my all-round game a lot. Just being more stable on my feet probably. Working on edges and speed out of the gate."

“Just being stronger on one foot at all times, just being in a good position at all times and harder to knock off the puck.”

Marchment is one of just three players currently on the Marlies roster without an NHL contract. As he continues to put in the work this season, he hopes the Leafs will come knocking with that entry-level deal.

“It’s definitely a big goal,” he said. “I think I’ve still got a lot of work to do and I just need to keep on working hard.”

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wonder if the Leafs open up a spot on the roster they will call up Marincin again. He's been really good for the Marlies and he can PK. Many still have bad memories about him but he's a lot better than people give him credit for. He could step into a Hainsey type role, but on the bottom pairing where be belongs. Maybe a team is even willing to give us something for him down the line.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Can someone tell me why Dermott is struggling points wise so far this season?

He isnt playing on the PP now. They want him against the tough matchups at even strength. He is now in a big minute shut down role.

Keefe had the following to say about Lilly's game today. "I thought he moved the puck extremely well, and played with a lot of confidence"

Reactions: Jeypic

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
He isnt playing on the PP now. They want him against the tough matchups at even strength. He is now in a big minute shut down role.

Keefe had the following to say about Lilly's game today. "I thought he moved the puck extremely well, and played with a lot of confidence"

Gotcha...thanks.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Fridge Watch:

Middleton with 2 assists and +2 in a 4-1 win over Flint (downside Gordeev -4 on the night, Flint fans have not been happy with him this year).

That puts Middleton to 12 points in 18 games, 5v5 7 points and 13GA
Other noteworthy U20's
Hague 22 in 22, 7 and 28
Stanley 18 in 21, 13 and 26
Sambrook 16 in 23, 10 and 22
Day 15 in 19, 8 and 23
Timmins 20 in 20, 13 and 16

Reactions: TheFloater

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Johnsson has always been legit; Timashov always had the skill but was very raw and small; but he's killing it so far this year.
both of their point totals were down last year, but seems like it was more because of usage. They're nearly identical size, but they're both strong on their skates

watched all the Marlies highlights from this year last night, I thought Timashov has been more noticeable in that sample, but his style has him with the puck alot where Johnsson plays more of a speed game and puts the first available shot on net

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Fridge Watch:

Middleton with 2 assists and +2 in a 4-1 win over Flint (downside Gordeev -4 on the night, Flint fans have not been happy with him this year).

Other noteworthy U20's
Hague 22 in 22, 7 and 28
Day 15 in 19, 8 and 23

Rasanen 15 points in 20 games, no idea how many on the PP

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Fridge Watch:

Other noteworthy U20's
Hague 22 in 22, 7 and 28
Day 15 in 19, 8 and 23
jeez, big production bump for Middleton. I'm not going to take that as a sign that he has offensive upside, but the nice thing that it does (if he sustains) is removes the "even defensive dmen in the NHL were offensively productive in junior" criticism, makes him less of a unicorn to make the NHL

oh that's great I was worried it would like 80% pp points. My fav big guy is rasanen for some reason
I asked in the Rasanen thread on the prospect board a week or so ago, someone that watches the Frontenacs said you can tell he's working on his skating even though he has lots of room left to improve, but also not to worry about the offense because he's talented offensively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad