Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
They are also getting sheltered down in the line up like Timashov last season.
I think we all called that, seems like a rite of passage that we can bank on for anyone but premier forward prospects. Brooks was considered a good 2 way player coming in, so it doesn't even look like it's dependent on whether the player needs to learn how to play both ways

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Went to watch a Marlies game the other day, was very impressed with Bracco. Boy that kid is quick and has great hockey sense. The other player that impressed me was Dermott. If this kid can continue to develop his defensive game, he will be a player in our top 6 next season for sure.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Really impressed with Andreas Johnsson.
This guy looks like someone who could step in next year.
Good skater, good offensive player, very smart.

It all comes down to production and the Mini Marlies are lacking pt's in the league scoring stats.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think we all called that, seems like a rite of passage that we can bank on for anyone but premier forward prospects. Brooks was considered a good 2 way player coming in, so it doesn't even look like it's dependent on whether the player needs to learn how to play both ways
I also honestly believe that they are taking the kids and conditioning them to withstand the rigors of a pro season.
Doing it this way to diminish the chance of serious injury during development.
Just the thoughts nothing to back it up officially.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I also honestly believe that they are taking the kids and conditioning them to withstand the rigors of a pro season.
Doing it this way to diminish the chance of serious injury during development.
Just the thoughts nothing to back it up officially.
before Brooks it seemed like the guys who were offensive natured wingers were the ones getting that treatment (Kapanen, Johnsson, Timashov), which made sense to me being that you want those guys playing rounded games before they get to the NHL. Bracco you just knew would get the same and probably needs it badly, but Brooks surprised me a bit

either way, no cause for concern

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
before Brooks it seemed like the guys who were offensive natured wingers were the ones getting that treatment (Kapanen, Johnsson, Timashov), which made sense to me being that you want those guys playing rounded games before they get to the NHL. Bracco you just knew would get the same and probably needs it badly, but Brooks surprised me a bit

either way, no cause for concern
I agree with you in just going on a gut feeling here. It also seems logical to have another criteria of development other than game style and skills.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
He and Bracco are adjusting to the league. Keefe has been pretty happy with both players. The points will come, but it might take some time.
They are also getting sheltered down in the line up like Timashov last season.

Thanks. Yeah... I figured there would be some sheltering. That's par for the course of how the Marlies have handled their youth.

Glad to hear that he's adjusting well though. Hopefully the offensive production will follow soon.

Reactions: stickty111

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If you listen to some of Keefe's interviews, he occasionally talks about using a winning lineup vs trying to develop the young prospects for the organization.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
I've used some of my prescious spare time to try and watch, read and study some players from ECHL to come to marlies either this or next season. Didnt really used any criteria other than, they're are not under ELC or sum. *

I think Mason Marchment allready deserves a shoutout, cuz he was a nice find and he inspired me to look something similar. Though cuz I live in finland it's extremely hard to find all the info, video and stuff but I did my best and I think we should look for this guys once this season ends, cuz we need this unsigned guys too A LOT. And hopefully find new gems.

Shane Hanna [Idaho Steelheads]
Defender | 5'11 | 194lbs | Left
GP: G: A: P:
15 1 7 8

James De Haas [Reading Royals]
Defender | 6'4 | 214lbs | Left
5 0 7 7
(Though isn't he property of Red Wings or is the rights expired)
Maybe my favourite out ot these.

Willie Raskob [Quad City Mallards]
Defender | 5'10 | 185lbs | Right
12 0 8 8

Alexandre Goulet [Jacksonville Icemen]
C/LW | 5'11 | 190lbs | Left
10 7 7 14

Reid Gardiner [Wheeling Nailers]
RW | 5'11 | 185lb | Right
14 11 8 19

Michael Joly [Colorado Eagles]
RW | 5'11 | 174lbs | Left
15 13 5 18

And before someone needs to be wise and say "We have too many players and prospects are a priority...I know.... I'm just saying we need to find all the avenues and prospect paths to discover cheap players to Marlies and hell Why not to Leafs aswell, cuz I could see Marchment havin a outside chance in the future. I'm not sayin lets sign all of'em either. I'm just tryin to start discussion about this way and these guys.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Timashov in 2016/17 >>>> Bracco and Brooks in 2017/18
This isnt true. Well clearly the coach doesnt agree with you. SeaofBlue also said Timashov was very in the beginning of last season. If you watched the games last season, Timashov was absolutely brutal to start last season. He didnt get better until around December.
So its actually Bracco and Brooks>>>>>>>>>>>Timashov in 2016/2017.

I love Timashov. One of my favorite prospects but there is no question he was worse in the start of last season then Bracco and Brooks have been so far.
Timashov this season has been terrific, and is showing again that he still has top 6 NHL potential.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bracco and Brooks this season have been much than Timashov was in the beginning of last season. That is a simple fact.
Bracco was a depth player, but it seems he is now a mainstay on the team. It shows how well Bracco has played. I wonder if Bracco's play was a factor in calling up Sosh. Yes Sosh had a clause in his contract but the Marlies maybe were comfortable to let Bracco be a full time member. If Bracco hadnt been playing well, they might have found some way to keep Sosh in the AHL. Also Brooks has been a full time member from the start.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Timashov had as many SOGs in his first 3 games last season as either Bracco and Brooks have managed this season. By his 5th game last season, Timashov had as many SOGs as the 2 combined this season. With similar usage. While being a playmaker type of player as well.

I don't expect the AHL coach to slag his own players publicly. I want the AHL coach to support and push his newest talent behind closed doors and not devalue the team's assets publicly.

As a fan I don't get the point of pretending that these offensive talents are doing alright when they clearly aren't.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If you listen to some of Keefe's interviews, he occasionally talks about using a winning lineup vs trying to develop the young prospects for the organization.

These aren't mutually exclusive concepts, you can and should do both. Playing for a team that doesn't try to win is a bad(and weird) environment for development. You're just going through the motions in a way that doesn't make much sense and has no end-game.

Also, playing important games and in the playoffs is good for development too.

A kid who can't handle it, playing on the topline, having his ass handed to him every shift, is no way to develop.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Timashov had as many SOGs in his first 3 games last season as either Bracco and Brooks have managed this season. By his 5th game last season, Timashov had as many SOGs as the 2 combined this season. With similar usage. While being a playmaker type of player as well.

I don't expect the AHL coach to slag his own players publicly. I want the AHL coach to support and push his newest talent behind closed doors and not devalue the team's assets publicly.

As a fan I don't get the point of pretending that these offensive talents are doing alright when they clearly aren't.

Actually they are doing well if you would ignore the box score stats. You do know the eye test has value right?
As a fan I don't get the point of pretending that these offensive talents are not doing alright when they clearly are,
I dont remember Keefe praising Timashov last season. Maybe its because he was worse than Bracco and Brooks have been?
It looks these offensive talents are doing something well after all.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Some updates on the Marlies
Valiev is back on the injured list. Lilly looks like he is maybe coming off of it.
Bracco and Brooks didnt make the trip. They are staying back in Toronto to work on strength, conditioning and player development.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marchment Aaltonen Kapanen Timashov Mueller Johnsson
Rychel Gauthier Greening
Moore Smith Clune

Dermott Liljegren
Marincin Holl
Nielsen Rosen

Sparks

Lilly returns

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think Aaltonen is now getting used to the AHL, like to see him up on the 4th line once Bozak is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad