Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
Hunter has potentially has some nice picks coming - not sure if Kara is one of them though. I caught a fair portion of the CHL vs. Russia series and he didn't do a lot.
I saw Kara described as a Kulimen type of winger (3rd, 4th line).

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Keefe had a lot of praise for Bracco today. He was asked if he senses frustration from Bracco of not scoring yet. Bracco said its turned into a bit of a "joke" that he hasn't been able to find his first goal.

Keefe said " I dont know. Im sure he is, but I dont know if frustration is the right word. You know, he's a young guy that has worked extremely hard off the ice, and we have tried to get him up to speed as much as we can. I am not one bit concerned about how much of Jeremy Bracco produces offensively. I am more worried about the details in his game, and i'm really happy with the progress he had made in that. The offense is gonna come. He's an elite offensive player. As he adjusts to the league, and gets stronger and faster, that stuff is gonna come out, but we've been really happy with his progress so far.

Also an update on Lilly
"From what I was told, he skated pretty much everyday this week on his own. What i'm told, he's gonna be gearing towards joining us in practice this week. Thats a positive sign and a positive step to getting him back in the lineup."

Reactions: Menzinger

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Toninato had an assist tonight for the Avalanche. I honestly never thought he would play in the NHL.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I saw Kara described as a Kulimen type of winger (3rd, 4th line).

That's a good comparable from what I saw. Good skater, good defensively (back checking), but not much in terms of offensive creativity.

Polodyan was the stand out as far player as the players that aren't already drafted.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Toninato had an assist tonight for the Avalanche. I honestly never thought he would play in the NHL.

Why? One of the top defensive forwards in the NCAA last year (if not the best) and has offensive skill. I wanted the Leafs to get him but there is clearly no space on the Marlies right now so it's understandable.

Reactions: uncleben85

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
How have Dermott and Rosen looked this season? Who seems more prime to make the step to the NHL next year? i have only got around to watching one AHL game this year unfortunately, so anything would be awesome.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Grundström will undergo knee surgery this week. Best case scenario: Back by Christmas. Worst case scenario: Will miss the rest of the season.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I'm not surprised that he might play in the NHL in the least. He won his division's defensive player of the year award and 2 of the 3 previous winners has played in the NHL. His upside remains limited although he might be closer to the type of prospect the Leafs are lacking.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It was reported that the Leafs only offered Toninato an AHL deal in the summer. I wish Toninato chose the Leafs, but it's hard to pass on a guaranteed NHL contract vs. spending time in the AHL with an AHL salary.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Grundström will undergo knee surgery this week. Best case scenario: Back by Christmas. Worst case scenario: Will miss the rest of the season.
hope that isn't the start of a trend for a guy that plays like he does, the shelf life on "reckless" players is usually a little shorter than the norm

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Really impressed with Andreas Johnsson.
This guy looks like someone who could step in next year.
Good skater, good offensive player, very smart.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Keefe had a lot of praise for Bracco today. He was asked if he senses frustration from Bracco of not scoring yet. Bracco said its turned into a bit of a "joke" that he hasn't been able to find his first goal.

Keefe said " I dont know. Im sure he is, but I dont know if frustration is the right word. You know, he's a young guy that has worked extremely hard off the ice, and we have tried to get him up to speed as much as we can. I am not one bit concerned about how much of Jeremy Bracco produces offensively. I am more worried about the details in his game, and i'm really happy with the progress he had made in that. The offense is gonna come. He's an elite offensive player. As he adjusts to the league, and gets stronger and faster, that stuff is gonna come out, but we've been really happy with his progress so far.

Also an update on Lilly
"From what I was told, he skated pretty much everyday this week on his own. What i'm told, he's gonna be gearing towards joining us in practice this week. Thats a positive sign and a positive step to getting him back in the lineup."

This has been brought up around here before, but I wonder if some of the kids are going to have poor offensive years to start their AHL careers.

Seems like they may get the "Rielly" treatment to start their AHL careers. There's no doubt Bracco, Brooks, Timashov, etc. are gifted offensively, so it seems like a pretty good strategy to really work on their defensive game so they can be responsible two-way players if they ever get a shot at show.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Andreas Johnsson has worked has worked his way up into the conversation for next injury call up. He's improved every year and so far this season he's outperformed our top prospect Kapanen.

Reactions: weems

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

No? I wouldn't have bet on him, but he had a pretty well rounded game. Doesn't surprise me that he could get into some games as a depth guy at least.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Andreas Johnsson has worked has worked his way up into the conversation for next injury call up. He's improved every year and so far this season he's outperformed our top prospect Kapanen.
While I agree it should be stated Kapanen is much younger and not as seasoned.
I'm excited to see Johnsson play in the NHL. He's a responsible smart player with a laser beam shot. He could really be part of a killer 3rd line

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It was reported that the Leafs only offered Toninato an AHL deal in the summer. I wish Toninato chose the Leafs, but it's hard to pass on a guaranteed NHL contract vs. spending time in the AHL with an AHL salary.

Yeah, apparently the season prior (so two offseasons ago) he was also offered some sort of deal from the Leafs or Marlies but opted to finish his degree st Duluth.

Pity things didn't work out this past offseason, I've always liked him.. thinknhe can be a reliable 4C for s team

Reactions: BertCorbeau

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
What's up with Brooks? Just growing pains from transitioning to pro hockey or are there red flags showing in his game?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
What's up with Brooks? Just growing pains from transitioning to pro hockey or are there red flags showing in his game?

He and Bracco are adjusting to the league. Keefe has been pretty happy with both players. The points will come, but it might take some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad