Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Bracco makes it 4-3.
He just continues to put up points. A goal and an assist today.
Is he nhl ready next season?. With a lot of deadweight coming if this team in bozak, jvr, komo, pleks(f*** this guy) , martin(traded most likely) , Moore, leivo(traded most likely). Could any of bracco, grundstrom , korshkov, engvall make the team?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Is he nhl ready next season?. With a lot of deadweight coming if this team in bozak, jvr, komo, pleks(**** this guy) , martin(traded most likely) , Moore, leivo(traded most likely). Could any of bracco, grundstrom , korshkov, engvall make the team?
Grundstrom has a good shot as he's already gotten 2+ years of pro hockey under his belt and I"m guessing same goes for Korshkov. Engvall I think might need one more season before he can be reevaluated to see where he is at. This year was his first year playing in the SHL and although he played well, I'd like to see him in a larger sample size on North American ice. Right now he's playing on a pretty stacked Marlies roster and he's playing a secondary scoring role and thriving. Bracco most definitely needs another year and potentially maybe even a bit more past that to prove that he can dominate the AHL offensively and be a complete and defensively responsible player. I think he's got it in him and he's come a very long way in all aspects of his game from the day he was drafted. He can turn himself into an Andreas Johnson if he puts his head down and just grinds away.

For now though again, Grundstrom and Korshkov probably battle it out for the big club next year. I haven't personally watched much of Korshkov and can't speak on what type of a player he is (i'd love it if someone can provide insight on him) but Grundstrom is an absolute beast and I think he can seamlessly fill in Leo's current role and be Babs' new fav toy. He's a complete player who loves going to the net and unlike Leo, he doesn't have stone hands.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Is he nhl ready next season?. With a lot of deadweight coming if this team in bozak, jvr, komo, pleks(**** this guy) , martin(traded most likely) , Moore, leivo(traded most likely). Could any of bracco, grundstrom , korshkov, engvall make the team?

My guess is that only 1 out of that list would have any shot at the team and that's Grundstrum. Bracco definitely needs another year of AHL to develop. I'm not sure what the future holds for Korshkov. There hasn't been a lot of talk about where he's going next year. And my guess with Engvall is that he gets a 2-3 year ELC and spends a couple years with the Marlies (ala the same road that Johnsson is taking).

Reactions: hamzarocks

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I want to give a massive shout out to my OG baby Leaf Garret Sparks. 7 years ago I remember meeting this tall skinny kid who played net for the Guelph Storm. One of the most down to earth and humble kids I've had the pleasure of talking to. I remember him saying he never thought a kid out of Illinois playing in the OHL in a backup role at 17 would ever have a shot at the NHL. I've been so proud to see him work his butt off and grind away taking every opportunity he's given. He spent a ton of time going back and forth between the Marlies and Solar Bears never quite knowing where he fits in the depth chart.

There were numerous times where he was an absolute after thought when it came to our goal-tending future, but all he has done is put up great numbers everywhere he has gone. The only goalie in Leafs history to ever record a shutout in his NHL debut, I remember the tears during his post game interview that honestly left me in tears, because I remember talking to that hopeful kid 7 years ago who knew he was a long shot to make it in the pros but he was happy to just have an opportunity.

Today he won the award as the undisputed top goaltender in the AHL and it makes me extremely happy to watch him accomplish this and I really hope he can be our full time backup very very soon. This kid is all heart and character and any team would be lucky to have him.

member 147413

What does the Marlies roster look like for the playoffs? I watch them as much as I can but there’s so much movement each game.

LW

Grundstrom
Timashov
Moore
Marchment
Engvall
Clune
(Johnsson)

C

Aaltonen
Gauthier
Greening
Mueller
Brooks

RW

Smith
Bracco
Baun
(Kapanen)

Extras

Pospisil
Winquist
Plouffe
Kestner
Ferguson
Pooley

LD

Borgman
Marincin
Rosen
Nielsen
(Dermott)

RD

Holl
Liljegren
Loverde

Extras

Lindgren
King

If I were to make the line-up (and the Leafs are out)

Johnsson - Aaltonen - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Gauthier - Bracco
Timashov - Greening - Smith
Marchment - Brooks - Moore

Dermott - Holl
Borgman - Liljegren
Nielsen - Loverde

Sparks
Picard

This team is way too deep.

Rich247

Sep 28, 2014
I'd rather have great prospects regardless if they ever play for their parent club because they can be used directly or indirectly to help improve the NHL club.

It's easy to get carried away with a team's prospects but realistically all teams have prospects their fans fantasize about.

As we've said before, Bracco should be given a year with prime time minutes before anyone starts getting overly excited about him. Ranked in the AHL, it isn't like he is a top player by any stretch of the imagination, but he still has potential. For rookies he's tied for 36th. for points, and for all players he's what outside the top 150.? So next year he should be given the opportunity to prove himself, and I doubt he's being groomed to be a defensive shutdown forward so points do matter.

Too soon to rank.
Making comparisons of Bracco numbers is the most one sided statement ever made. Let's set the record as it should be: first bracco only played in fifty games, first half of the year he was getting very little playing minutes, spent most of the year playing on the fourth line with others that had problems scoring, played games with numerous different line mates most of the year. One the of stats that imo shows the worth of a player to his team is points per minute. I would bet that if you had that stat that bracco would have been one the highest on the Marlies if not in the league overall. So I don't understand why your so down on the kid without any real knowledge of what he provides to every team he as played on. He may need another year in the ahl but really that's not to prove that he can play. Think he has already proved that. Put him on the first line with guys that can put them in the net and let's see what you have to complain about then.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think Grundy is talented enough to walk in to the top 6.

I meant more right now though. There's only a spot in the bottom 6 with Komarov injured and Grundstrom's skillset seems to fit better on a bottom 6 line than Engvall imo.

Engvall I think would have to be with more skilled guys to succeed, while Grundstrom you could probably put on any line and he'll figure it out.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I meant more right now though. There's only a spot in the bottom 6 with Komarov injured and Grundstrom's skillset seems to fit better on a bottom 6 line than Engvall imo.

Engvall I think would have to be with more skilled guys to succeed, while Grundstrom you could probably put on any line and he'll figure it out.

I would like to see Engvall get a test on Kadri's line. He's big and fast. Would cause fits for teams in conjunction with Kadri's grit.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If I were to make the line-up (and the Leafs are out)

Grundstrom - Gauthier - Bracco
Timashov - Greening - Smith
Marchment - Brooks - Moore

Dermott - Holl
Borgman - Liljegren
Nielsen - Loverde

Sparks
Picard

I'd tweak the forwards a little like this:

Grundstrom - Ferguson - Bracco
Engvall - Greening - Smith
Marchment - Mueller - Brooks

We've already had a season of stagnation from Gauthier, Timashov and Moore to know they likely aren't in our future plans. However, Ferguson has been the best ATO performer (nearly ppg), Engvall has been an awesome surprise, and Brooks has performed better on the wing, so give him the conditions where he can thrive before returning him to center. That forward line up would probably be capable of outplaying some NHL rosters with its combination of size, speed, sniping and playmaking as well as defensive acumen.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I am very curious how Brady Ferguson has looked. He's out preformed all the other NCAA ATO invites with 4 assists in 5 games. Can anyone tell me how he plays? Does anyone think he could be an Aaltonen replacement for the Marlies next year?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Making comparisons of Bracco numbers is the most one sided statement ever made. Let's set the record as it should be: first bracco only played in fifty games, first half of the year he was getting very little playing minutes, spent most of the year playing on the fourth line with others that had problems scoring, played games with numerous different line mates most of the year. One the of stats that imo shows the worth of a player to his team is points per minute. I would bet that if you had that stat that bracco would have been one the highest on the Marlies if not in the league overall. So I don't understand why your so down on the kid without any real knowledge of what he provides to every team he as played on. He may need another year in the ahl but really that's not to prove that he can play. Think he has already proved that. Put him on the first line with guys that can put them in the net and let's see what you have to complain about then.

Why do you think I'm down on him?
I don't coach him so I have nothing to do with him not getting playing time.
You even repeated what I said, give him top minutes and see where he is next year at this time. Now if the coach doesn't think he deserves top line minutes perhaps you should have a beef with the coach.
Again, it is too early to suggest Bracco is worthy of a NHL job, but that applies to almost every AHL player even player who are better and produce better than Bracco.
He hasn't earned anything except an opportunity to continue to develop.
Many AHL players never make it, he has to separate himself from the pack, and he'll have that opportunity next year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I am very curious how Brady Ferguson has looked. He's out preformed all the other NCAA ATO invites with 4 assists in 5 games. Can anyone tell me how he plays? Does anyone think he could be an Aaltonen replacement for the Marlies next year?

I have him as my 4C for the Marlies next year. He's a 94', so I am not totally sure about his NHL prospect with us at this point (but then again, Aaltonen is a 93'), but he could be the next guy to be able to be a key Marlies contributor to replace guys like Smith and Mueller down the line.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd tweak the forwards a little like this:

Grundstrom - Ferguson - Bracco
Engvall - Greening - Smith
Marchment - Mueller - Brooks

We've already had a season of stagnation from Gauthier, Timashov and Moore to know they likely aren't in our future plans. However, Ferguson has been the best ATO performer (nearly ppg), Engvall has been an awesome surprise, and Brooks has performed better on the wing, so give him the conditions where he can thrive before returning him to center. That forward line up would probably be capable of outplaying some NHL rosters with its combination of size, speed, sniping and playmaking as well as defensive acumen.

Gauthier is easily going to draw in over Ferguson. Moore and Timashov will likely be in there as well, but we are probably going to rotate forwards as necessary. Brooks may end up outside of the lineup some games, as well as Engvall/Marchment. I doubt Clune, Baun or any of the ATO's (outside of Engvall of course) would get much playing time. Maybe Ferguson gets a few as well, but the rest of them are worse than anything we have on an ELC/SPC. Although Pospisil looked very impressive in the two games he played too. Nice tough guy with some skill who would easily upgrade Clune for next year, but I think Clune will stick around over him.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Gauthier is easily going to draw in over Ferguson. Moore and Timashov will likely be in there as well, but we are probably going to rotate forwards as necessary. Brooks may end up outside of the lineup some games, as well as Engvall/Marchment. I doubt Clune, Baun or any of the ATO's (outside of Engvall of course) would get much playing time. Maybe Ferguson gets a few as well, but the rest of them are worse than anything we have on an ELC/SPC. Although Pospisil looked very impressive in the two games he played too. Nice tough guy with some skill who would easily upgrade Clune for next year, but I think Clune will stick around over him.

I'd agree with you if the AHL was like the Swedish First Division playing for a hope to move up to the Swedish HL. But the AHL is a *development* league. It isn't necessarily about whose been on the team the longest or whose got an ELC or a 1 way contract, but players who are *developing*. Hence the reason I didn't disagree with you over your choice of defense, even though it doesn't include the player who has arguably been the Marlies most effective player there (Marincin and his around +30 for the year), although given that Keefe has specifically been referred by Babcock as stating "Rosen is his most reliable defenseman", we'll probably see him in ahead of Neilsen as well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd agree with you if the AHL was like the Swedish First Division playing for a hope to move up to the Swedish HL. But the AHL is a *development* league. It isn't necessarily about whose been on the team the longest or whose got an ELC or a 1 way contract, but players who are *developing*. Hence the reason I didn't disagree with you over your choice of defense, even though it doesn't include the player who has arguably been the Marlies most effective player there (Marincin and his around +30 for the year), although given that Keefe has specifically been referred by Babcock as stating "Rosen is his most reliable defenseman", we'll probably see him in ahead of Neilsen as well.

My point still stands. Timashov, Gauthier and Moore are still developing, and have far better shots at the NHL than Ferguson does... Especially considering all three are at least a year or two younger than Ferguson. Ferguson did some nice things in a very small stretch of games, but it was just a small stretch of games. Against some weaker competition too. Timashov had 4 points in his last 5 games, and 6 in the last 6. Moore had 7 points in his last 5 games. Gauthier with Greening is about as good as it got in the AHL in terms of shutdown lines.

Also remember that the Marlies still rotate in the playoffs. Last year Timashov, Gauthier, Findlay, Clune, Cameranesi and Sislo rotated into the lineup for a stretch of games. Could see the same sort of thing again this year, but with different players. They try to keep guys as fresh as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->