Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I suppose it is inevitable that fans on a site called Hockey’s Future will tend to overvalue prospects in the minors compared to players who have already made the NHL. A couple of Bracco fans have a particularly notable case of the syndrome, however.

Bracco is making good progress, especially in the last quarter of the season. I’m happy to see that. But let’s see him score at that rate for a lengthy part of next season before we pencil him in over young but established NHL ers with a 200 foot game.

I'd rather have great prospects regardless if they ever play for their parent club because they can be used directly or indirectly to help improve the NHL club.

It's easy to get carried away with a team's prospects but realistically all teams have prospects their fans fantasize about.

As we've said before, Bracco should be given a year with prime time minutes before anyone starts getting overly excited about him. Ranked in the AHL, it isn't like he is a top player by any stretch of the imagination, but he still has potential. For rookies he's tied for 36th. for points, and for all players he's what outside the top 150.? So next year he should be given the opportunity to prove himself, and I doubt he's being groomed to be a defensive shutdown forward so points do matter.

Too soon to rank.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I haven't had the chance to watch Lindgren play yet, but in 2.67 GP for the Marlies so far it seems he has been on the ice for 7 of 9 ES goals against. Seems to need to do some real work in that department.

By comparison Liljegren has been on the ice for 7 ES against in his last 20 games (out of 35 ES GA).

Yeah Lindgren has struggled so far. However he came back from about an over a month long injury, so he could just getting back to game shape. Plus he is only playing around once a week. Hard to get in a groove.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Grundstrom putting up points. Last year he looked great, knew exactly where to be and looked engaged. Bodes well for the future.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I'd rather have great prospects regardless if they ever play for their parent club because they can be used directly or indirectly to help improve the NHL club.

It's easy to get carried away with a team's prospects but realistically all teams have prospects their fans fantasize about.

As we've said before, Bracco should be given a year with prime time minutes before anyone starts getting overly excited about him. Ranked in the AHL, it isn't like he is a top player by any stretch of the imagination, but he still has potential. For rookies he's tied for 36th. for points, and for all players he's what outside the top 150.? So next year he should be given the opportunity to prove himself, and I doubt he's being groomed to be a defensive shutdown forward so points do matter.

Too soon to rank.

I think we are mostly in agreement but, as it happens, I also think I may be a little more optimistic about Bracco than you are. (A couple of guys here would never believe that.). I value prospects who display at least one clear NHL attribute and Bracco’s passing is just that. But yes, he does have to produce over the season or much of the season next year. He also needs to continue the improvement in his two way game. And I agree that the Leafs may recoup their investment in him by way of including him in a trade. But I also think he is on the right track.

Reactions: Jeypic

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Are you sure they couldn't make the Leafs next week?

Sorry, the Leafs aging vets is the hill the organization is determined to die on, at least this year, anyway. I mean, why play Grundstrom and Aaltonen when you can play Pleckanec and Komarov? Watching them reminds me of Bautista being sent out to play every game last September, because...? Not really sure why. Certainly didn't benefit the team at all.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
To anyone that watches the Marlies, does Aaltonen PK? Who are our top PKers? TIA

Aaltonen PK's. Expect to see him PK in the NHL as well.

Greening and Gauthier are the top PKers and really damn amazing at it.

I think Smith is the other one? I think Mueller, Baun and Clune do it sometimes as well. No idea who else. Aaltonen, Greening, Gauthier and Smith are the main ones I believe.

No idea who does it on defense. Holl, LoVerde, Marincin have to be three of them. Borgman, Rosen, Valiev and Nielsen probably rotated in the last spot (but obviously it is now just Borgman, Rosen and Nielsen).

Reactions: WILDLIFEGUY

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Nielsen is such an unfortunate prospect. If he didn't have such bad feet and his defensive game didn't stagnate so hard after junior, he'd be a legitimate prospect.

Huge open ice hit, power play goal, and then line brawl/scrum with Selleck & Blunden (Clune fighting from the bench lol).

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
According to the box score Ian Scott is in goal today. A number of fringe Marlies are also in the lineup.

Sens lead 1-0at the moment.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
According to the box score Ian Scott is in goal today. A number of fringe Marlies are also in the lineup.

2-1 Marlies, Scott looks solid but untested. Nielsen and Engvall scored.

Engvall goal was a beauty passing play from Liljegren -> Bracco -> Engvall for the water bottle snipe on the PP. Last game of the year for the Sens so they're gooning it up as per usual.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
What about Greening as the leafs 4th line Center next year?? Great penalty killer good size and speed and has a bit of offense to him.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Yep! Kristian Pospisil, Derian Plouffe, Jeff King, Joosh Winquist, Brady Ferguson, and Scott Pooley all got the call today!

Jesper Lindgren and Pierre Engvall in there too.

Fairly inexperienced lineup, but I'm glad they are doing that. Hopefully one of those guys will catch on as another Marchment type addition.

Also interesting how the high-profile guys who stayed in the lineup like Liljegren and Bracco respond and lead the team.

2-1 Marlies now!

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I don't get to watch very many Marlies games... can anyone provide a little scouting report on Engvall?

I know he's big and speedy, and been producing with the Marlies... but how does he play? Does he seem to think the game quick? Does he avoid physical play? Is he a perimeter player? etc.

Thanks.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Yep! Kristian Pospisil, Derian Plouffe, Jeff King, Joosh Winquist, Brady Ferguson, and Scott Pooley all got the call today!

Jesper Lindgren and Pierre Engvall in there too.

Fairly inexperienced lineup, but I'm glad they are doing that. Hopefully one of those guys will catch on as another Marchment type addition.

Also interesting how the high-profile guys who stayed in the lineup like Liljegren and Bracco respond and lead the team.

2-1 Marlies now!

This was the case yesterday.

Weird to have THIS many fresh faces playing, but with 3-in-3 and their spots all locked up it makes sense to play the fringe guys. Might as well get them a look for next year (if they stick around).

21-year-old Pospisil (who had some tiring pumping for his play in rookie tournaments this past summer) got a goal and an assist yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->