Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's not even worth a #13th forward Marlies job, I'd rather keep what we've got now and bring Grundstrom over

Why he was drafted doesn't matter what counts is what he is now, an ECHL level talent in this organisation

First of all, Grundstrom will probably be in the playoffs most of the time over in the SHL. Secondly, why not have both? It's not like Grundstrom would be a 13th forward on the Marlies anyways. He'd probably replace Moore or Baun.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
First of all, Grundstrom will probably be in the playoffs most of the time over in the SHL. Secondly, why not have both? It's not like Grundstrom would be a 13th forward on the Marlies anyways. He'd probably replace Moore or Baun.

And then Moore or Baun would be the 13th forward

He's completely unnecessary, if he's willing to go to the Solar Bears at the end of his college season great but if he's not he can go

He's not good enough for me to give a **** about him

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
And then Moore or Baun would be the 13th forward

He's completely unnecessary, if he's willing to go to the Solar Bears at the end of his college season great but if he's not he can go

He's not good enough for me to give a **** about him

I have to echo this. Nolan Vesey is a nothing prospect.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
We are talking about an AHL contract... It's not like the sky will fall or he takes up a contract spot or there is any commitment to him. It's literally a zero risk proposition with perhaps a decent amount of upside, since he's probably better than the average guy we could get on an AHL deal.

He could surprise like Mason Marchment and may even be able to beat out someone like Marchment for a roster spot. Especially if Johnsson is sticking in the NHL now, there could be an opportunity for him. I'd rather him get a shot than putting Clune or Dupuy in there full time, and Grundstrom/Engvall is not coming in for a while so it's not like his ice time is being taken away.

I do not see why so many people have problems bringing in potential talent for no acquisition cost. We have literally been doing the exact same thing for the past 4 years (on AHL deals), and Vesey is better than most of those guys.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We are talking about an AHL contract... It's not like the sky will fall or he takes up a contract spot or there is any commitment to him. It's literally a zero risk proposition with perhaps a decent amount of upside, since he's probably better than the average guy we could get on an AHL deal.

He could surprise like Mason Marchment and may even be able to beat out someone like Marchment for a roster spot. Especially if Johnsson is sticking in the NHL now, there could be an opportunity for him. I'd rather him get a shot than putting Clune or Dupuy in there full time, and Grundstrom/Engvall is not coming in for a while so it's not like his ice time is being taken away.

I do not see why so many people have problems bringing in potential talent for no acquisition cost. We have literally been doing the exact same thing for the past 4 years (on AHL deals), and Vesey is better than most of those guys.
I am not too sure about the rules. Can Lindgren sign an ATO with the Marlies for the rest of the season, all though he is under contract with HPK? His season has ended there.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I am not too sure about the rules. Can Lindgren sign an ATO with the Marlies for the rest of the season, all though he is under contract with HPK? His season has ended there.

Probably not. I think a lot would need to line up and I doubt the Leafs bother considering Lindgren would not get into the lineup a whole lot anyways. It's not as easy as just getting a FA ATO from the NCAA to be a filler for the rest of the year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Probably not. I think a lot would need to line up and I doubt the Leafs bother considering Lindgren would not get into the lineup a whole lot anyways. It's not as easy as just getting a FA ATO from the NCAA to be a filler for the rest of the year.
Ok thanks.
He has one more season left with HPK before his rights expire. Unless he has a bad year, he could get an ELC. He has been good for 2 straight seasons in different leagues, and might have earned one.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
oh so the solar bears will still exist just have a different affiliation. That good for them then maybe get one of the florida teams in there, they could do 7 losing lottery tickets gets you on the glass seats at the tampa game and the solar bears game

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

The sentiment around Mason Marchment was that the Marlies/Leafs saw something in him and really wanted him to develop within the organization. They brought him in and played him a portion of the season, but they really wanted him to focus on the conditioning & development at the pro level. That turned out to be a good approach for both parties because it looks like he can carve some sort of role on the Maple Leafs in the future.

The next thing is, can they do that with Vesey? Signing him to an AHL deal is a low risk-high reward move, IF the Leafs see something in him. Can he be an elite penalty killer, can he fill a role that's similar to what Hyman does for a top line? If they don't see it, then it's a non-event.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
IIRC, both Lindgren and Engvall had short stints with the Marlies late last season each on an ATO. My vague memory is that they practised with the team but saw little or no ice time. My memory of all this may be faulty, however.

Re Vesey. Did he do better in the NCAA than Korostelev and Desrochers did in the OHL? The Leafs didn’t sign the latter pair, even to an AHL contract. My answerto my own question would be “No”, but I didn’t get to follow Maine hockey.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

He would be allowed to do so, however given that he missed the last few games of HPK's season due to injury, that seems very unlikely. I would rather his focus be on preparing for next season so that he can be at the top of his game for 2018-19 and earn an ELC through his play.

I'll throw in my 2 cents on Vesey: Have him sign an ATO in Orlando (since there won't be visa issues with getting a job in a different country) and see how he does for the rest of the ECHL season. Maybe he'll be terrible and you find out it's not even worth offering him an AHL contract in the summer. Maybe he'll be amazing at that level and you know that at worst you'll have a good ECHLer for St John's next season.

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
ECHL makes it official: St. John's to join circuit next season | The Telegram

Looks like its a done deal. From the experience of the IceCaps/Jets days it seems that the only players on Leafs contracts that will be here are young goalies and busted picks. Whom do you think I'll see next season?

Based on who's playing in Orlando you'll be looking at career minor leaguers, low draft picks or undrafted players that might bounce between the ECHL and the Marlies and the odd NHL hasbeen. Long odds for any to make it to the big league, though a small handful might (such as Holl did this year or Marchment might next).

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Based on who's playing in Orlando you'll be looking at career minor leaguers, low draft picks or undrafted players that might bounce between the ECHL and the Marlies and the odd NHL hasbeen. Long odds for any to make it to the big league, though a small handful might (such as Holl did this year or Marchment might next).

It's worth it to swing to the fences with a couple of those guys.

Personally, I would try to pinpoint guys that would fit the new NHL. A guy like Dzierkals comes to mind. He's got the wheels and he's putting up respectable numbers in the ECHL.

It also doesn't hurt to sign these guys to AHL deals. You still have to put a team on the ice.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Chebykin has 6 points in 7 playoff games albeit in chunks. I’m surprised he does not get top minutes even on his vhl team.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
IIRC, both Lindgren and Engvall had short stints with the Marlies late last season each on an ATO. My vague memory is that they practised with the team but saw little or no ice time. My memory of all this may be faulty, however.

Re Vesey. Did he do better in the NCAA than Korostelev and Desrochers did in the OHL? The Leafs didn’t sign the latter pair, even to an AHL contract. My answerto my own question would be “No”, but I didn’t get to follow Maine hockey.

Lindgren didnt play any games. He just practiced with them.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's been getting a crap ton of ice time in the FEL from what I've read. I hope he gets to play quite a bit down the stretch. I think he could develop into something.

Suddenly, the Marlies have good RHD depth with Liljegren and Holl.

Reactions: Anthrax442
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad