Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 262271

You watching on Leafs Nation Network? Borgman-Liljegren duo looked really good in the 1st.
Nah TSN 2, not blacked out cause I guess they don't care about AHL stuff. Started watching moments before Moore's goal. Good to hear about Borgman and Liljegren.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
And to do that its going to cost us either a prospect, a draft pick or by taking a bad contract, which is my point. You can't afford in the cap era to pay players premiums based on how great they were 5-10 years ago if you want to be successful for the next 5-10 years.

It's not a premium based on past ability, it's a premium to add the exact players we want when we want them and not get stuck long term. It's actually a very smart way of using UFA dollars, adding upgrades without major sacrifices to the long term viability of the team.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
It's not a premium based on past ability, it's a premium to add the exact players we want when we want them and not get stuck long term. It's actually a very smart way of using UFA dollars, adding upgrades without major sacrifices to the long term viability of the team.

Want and need are two very different things. And yes, the ownership and many many fans here might want Kovalchuk and might be willing to pay what he wants to play on the wing. But does the team need Kovalchuk? Does it *need* Marleau? Was our team's most pressing need over this and the next 2 years the need to add a 20+ goal scoring left winger who can occasionally take faceoffs at a $6.5M cap? Our BIGGEST prospect bottleneck is on the wing. How many 35+ 6 million dollar contracts does the team *need* between all those winger prospects and TOI? Does Marleau/Kovalchuk offer 6x the value each of our best winger prospects in comparison to where that % of cap might better be put to use where there aren't prospect bottlenecks, such as where we actually *need* to spend it - on defense and at center where the team is both an often stated weakness and has limited NHL level depth?

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Johnsson is unbelievable. Wouldn't be shocked if he leads the AHL in scoring. I hope he doesn't due to getting called up though

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Still think Holl deserves a shot over Polak, Carrick, he looks better than both and fits some needs in the back-end for us (helps that he has existing chemistry with Dermott). It's probably one of the more quiet injustices this club has.

Reactions: highslot

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
Been trying to figure out who Sparks looks like, finally got it Clancy Brown the bad guy from Highlander

member 147413

I was at the game.

Johnsson and Timashov were forward prospect standouts. Johnsson looks ready to be a 3rd liner. Timashov may step into Johnsson’s role next year.

Greening is an NHL player, he’s big, fast and hits. Defensively responsible and reliable. A bit of scoring touch.

Holl and Borgman were our best dmen. Both look like NHLers, bottom pairing.

Liljegren is very talented and skilled, thinks the game well defensively too. He’s being polished for sure, don’t think he’s in the NHL next year until he’s dominant at the AHL level. Similar to Dermott.

Reactions: AppsSyl

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Why has Greening been stuck on the Marlies? He can PK well from what I remember and Babcock seemed to like him. He makes way more sense as a 4th line option than Leivo (aside from contracts).

Greening-Plekanec-Komarov would be a great 4th line in the playoffs. Rotate Kapanen and Komarov depending on who has last change.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why has Greening been stuck on the Marlies? He can PK well from what I remember and Babcock seemed to like him. He makes way more sense as a 4th line option than Leivo (aside from contracts).

Greening-Plekanec-Komarov would be a great 4th line in the playoffs. Rotate Kapanen and Komarov depending on who has last change.

Well that is what I was wondering. Greening only has a $750k Cap hit... has size... and if he's playing C for the Marlies and doing it well... why aren't we trying him... or even at LW as you mention.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Well that is what I was wondering. Greening only has a $750k Cap hit... has size... and if he's playing C for the Marlies and doing it well... why aren't we trying him... or even at LW as you mention.

I'd take Greening and a 2nd over Plekanec based on what he's shown so far.

Martin-Greening-Komarov isn't noticeably worse than Plekanec in that spot IMO.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Want and need are two very different things. And yes, the ownership and many many fans here might want Kovalchuk and might be willing to pay what he wants to play on the wing. But does the team need Kovalchuk? Does it *need* Marleau? Was our team's most pressing need over this and the next 2 years the need to add a 20+ goal scoring left winger who can occasionally take faceoffs at a $6.5M cap? Our BIGGEST prospect bottleneck is on the wing. How many 35+ 6 million dollar contracts does the team *need* between all those winger prospects and TOI? Does Marleau/Kovalchuk offer 6x the value each of our best winger prospects in comparison to where that % of cap might better be put to use where there aren't prospect bottlenecks, such as where we actually *need* to spend it - on defense and at center where the team is both an often stated weakness and has limited NHL level depth?

So who would you have spent the money on this off-season?
(Ignoring the complete movement of goalposts from "You can't afford in the cap era to pay players premiums based on how great they were 5-10 years ago if you want to be successful for the next 5-10 years" to "I don't think we needed Marleau"

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Vesey is done in Maine. AHL Deal incoming.

Is that actually true or just speculation.

If it is true, it'll be tough for him to get into the lineup much. Not only is the top 12 stacked, but the Marlies seem content with Clune and Dupuy rotating in as well. Plus there are a couple of tryout guys they have there as well. However I'd easily give a slightly younger and potentially a lot more skilled Vesey a shot over any of them. His upside is easily the best, not that it's that high itself.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Is that actually true or just speculation.

If it is true, it'll be tough for him to get into the lineup much. Not only is the top 12 stacked, but the Marlies seem content with Clune and Dupuy rotating in as well. Plus there are a couple of tryout guys they have there as well. However I'd easily give a slightly younger and potentially a lot more skilled Vesey a shot over any of them. His upside is easily the best, not that it's that high itself.

Whilst I wouldn't bother with him maybe putting him in the ECHL could be an option because I seriously doubt he's getting anywhere near the Marlies line-up

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Whilst I wouldn't bother with him maybe putting him in the ECHL could be an option because I seriously doubt he's getting anywhere near the Marlies line-up

I'd take him over the other two invitees they had, and probably over Dupuy and Clune as well. Clune is obviously there for a specific purpose (occasional toughness and leadership, plus while not putting up as many points as he used to he is still a really good defensive forward), but Dupuy has not really been that good in the AHL (as expected). The other two were guys who had good senior years but that's about it. Pretty much they are auditioning to be considered for an AHL deal somewhere, but will likely end up in the ECHL either way. Vesey is better than both of them, and could potentially be in the AHL next year.

His point totals are not fantastic, but Maine doesn't score goals. He was in a 4-way tie for 2nd in goals with 11, 1 behind 1st, and was tied for 3rd in points this year (plus was 3rd last year).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd take him over the other two invitees they had, and probably over Dupuy and Clune as well. Clune is obviously there for a specific purpose (occasional toughness and leadership, plus while not putting up as many points as he used to he is still a really good defensive forward), but Dupuy has not really been that good in the AHL (as expected). The other two were guys who had good senior years but that's about it. Pretty much they are auditioning to be considered for an AHL deal somewhere, but will likely end up in the ECHL either way. Vesey is better than both of them, and could potentially be in the AHL next year.

His point totals are not fantastic, but Maine doesn't score goals. He was in a 4-way tie for 2nd in goals with 11, 1 behind 1st, and was tied for 3rd
in points this year (plus was 3rd last year).

He's not done enough points wise or shown enough progression for me to care about him

He sure as hell doesn't deserve to be on the Marlies, if he wants to go down to the ECHL fine but that's all he's worth

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He's not done enough points wise or shown enough progression for me to care about him

It's an AHL deal and a 13th forward role on the Marlies. That's about as far as you'd have to care :laugh:

He was drafted for a reason (which I hope is not because his father is a scout) and if he is absolutely not worth our time then we just let him go. If anything it's giving him a tryout earlier than the many other guys we have to look at. Perhaps it gets one name off of the list early on.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's an AHL deal and a 13th forward role on the Marlies. That's about as far as you'd have to care :laugh:

He was drafted for a reason (which I hope is not because his father is a scout) and if he is absolutely not worth our time then we just let him go. If anything it's giving him a tryout earlier than the many other guys we have to look at. Perhaps it gets one name off of the list early on.

He's not even worth a #13th forward Marlies job, I'd rather keep what we've got now and bring Grundstrom over

Why he was drafted doesn't matter what counts is what he is now, an ECHL level talent in this organisation

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Marleau isn't the hill I would choose to die on, he's been ok but not justifying his contract and definitely not an unattainable standard for one of the kids to beat. I would have kept a top 9 roster spot for the kids to fight for, would have preferred to see what we have than spend too much money on a declining player that probably tied our hands on bringing back JVR

and again, namecalling is petty
Why are you calling me petty for name calling when I didn’t name call?

It was fairly obvious your stance regarding ufa signings. You’re not leaf management though, and our management has looked at ufa’s to improve our team every year, whether it’s been successful or not is beside the point.

What name did I call you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->