Prospect Info: Prospect Analysis/Updates- 1st Post June 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As I mentioned a few days back, I will be doing an analysis of our top prospects. This will be on the top 20.
Mods you can move this into the Marlies thread, but I felt it might be better if this got its own thread, so this doesnt get caught in with the other stuff.
This is just my opinion, incase anyobe disagrees which rankings some guys are. Let me know your opinions as well:)

Lets start this off with #20 Fedor Gordeev, one of the big guys in our system.

20) Fedor Gordeev
Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good
5-great
Stats

2016-17 Hamilton BulldogsOHL 21 0124|
Flint FirebirdsOHL623101343-7|Playoffs50112
2017-18 Flint FirebirdsOHL6781725106-33
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Fedor Gordeev - Prospect-Stats
Player grades: Present/Future
Skating: 3.5/4
Shot: 4/4.5
Puck Skills: 3/3.5
Compete: 3.5/4
Defence: 2.5/3.5
note: Puck skills includes passing ability, puck control, creating etc...

One of the big giants that were selected. At the time, there was some criticism when the Leafs drafted him. People looked at his size, and low offensive numbers, and came away surprised and disappointed at the pick. It didn't help that some of the info which came out wasn't very encouraging. However, as more and people got to know more about him, it seemed he isn't as bad as some initially thought.

For a really big guy, he skates well, and some have even called it good. I'm not sure I would classify it as good but it certainly doesn't hurt him. With that being said, sometimes there are issues with pivoting. Overall skating wise, he is a fine though. He likes to rush the puck, and his skating really helps him in that regard. I guess you can say when the puck is on his stick, he is pretty solid. When it's not, there are problems but still alright.

Offensively, he is solid. His best tool is his shot. The guy can fire the puck. I find his wrister in particular to be strong. All thought his slap shot is pretty powerful as well. I believe his 2nd best tool is the ability to carry the puck. It doesn't matter which zone, he looks smooth when he has the puck. He can make a solid 1st pass, but overall won't make many highlight reel passing plays. At times, he can flash some great vision to make a terrific play, and I believe he has the potential to do it more often, but usually his passing doesn't have a fancy element to it. I don't expect him to put up huge offensive numbers, because he has very simple offensive skills, but he does have a really nice shot so he should be able to put up some points at the next level.

In terms of his defensive game, there is some work to be done. Some of that is caused by his below average skating without the puck, as this causes him to go out of position. He also makes some questionable decisions when faced with pressure. When there is space available to consider his options, he is pretty solid. When battling in the corners, he can stay with his man and uses his big size to knock people off the puck. Overall, when he doesn't have to rush his decisions, and is battling in tight, he is reliable. His offensive game is ahead of his defensive game, but as his skating gets better, he could become really good in his own end.
Stock?
Up
His stats didn't improve significantly, but produced like a top pairing defender, or at least an excellent 2nd pairing defender. His primary point totals took a jump, and shot the puck a lot as well{which is never a bad idea for him}. One thing that dropped off slightly was his even strength goal production, but I think that has more to do with the team he is on, considering his even strength shot rate had improved by a good margin. From what I can see, his play had also improved. There was a tweet somewhere in the middle of the season that scouts have been really impressed with Gordeev. It seems like he is heading in the right direction, but there is still a lot of developing to do. He just needs to keep getting better. Moving away from that horrendous Flint team will also help.

Gordeev is a decent prospect, and we should be keeping track of him. His potential is really high, but there is some major risk as well. I see his ETA in the 2021/2022 season.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Great article Stickty. It looks like Gordeev might have a better chance becoming a Leafs than Nielsen has? But how was his zone exit stats? Does he use his size enough? Can he clear the crease protecting the goalie? I think his puck moving (zone exit) skill could be quite valuable.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Not sure what to make of this.

He's a big guy 6'6 but his defensive game is weak, which kind of contradicts the benefit of having a big guy. If he's slow without the puck and not going to put up big offensive numbers - I'm not quite sure what the benefit is?

By the sounds of it, this guy needs to concentrate on his defense and improve it significantly if he has any shot. A big guy who's not going to put up numbers better be able to shut opponents down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad