Pro's and Con's of YOUR game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
MissionHockey said:
I remember a while back we had a "how good a prospect were YOU?" thread so I thought this one might be interesting seeing how most fans here think they are scouts.

Defensive coverage. I was a scorer and generally that is what I cared about most. I was a good skater, but not a great skater. I was missing that extra gear.

But the hands...always had the hands. :D

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I'm basically Ethan Moreau with Ryan Smyth's touch around the net.. I look like a goof everywhere on the ice besides the corners and the front of the net where I shine :)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I was a dmen, I wasn't fast forward skating but I could float going backwords. I had a decent shot, I hit alot, I was good defensivly and had great offensive vision on the ice. I was only small throughout minor hockey though, last year Midget I actually grew from 5`7 to 6 feet.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Voodoo Daddy said:
Cons: Couldn't skate backwards, Couldn't raise slapshot
Pros: Smart enough to switch to basketball
:joker: :lol:

Well for me:

Pros-Good skater with decent acceleration. I also had pretty good hands because I've been able to beat people one-on-one. Pretty good wrist shot.

Cons-everything else. Once I'm out there everything I know about hockey goes out the window and I play too instinctively. Not physical and I suck at outlet passes.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
I was a dmen, I wasn't fast forward skating but I could float going backwords. I had a decent shot, I hit alot, I was good defensivly and had great offensive vision on the ice. I was only small throughout minor hockey though, last year Midget I actually grew from 5`7 to 6 feet.
Thats a pretty big growth spirt :eek:

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I really was terrible at skating unfortunately. It caused me to float alot, I was a forward of the high scoring variety, but my skating really held me back and ruined my defensive coverage. I played like Stevie Y back pre-Bowman days.

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
I played good d as a forward. And i could hit a ton. I had a really low center of gravity. I was only 5'8" 160, but i had no trouble knocking down the big guy. Never scored alot, but i took pride in my defensive ability. I have a pretty quick release, and most of the few goals i would score in a season came from using a d-man for a screen on my shots. I could never blast one in from the blue line or blow by anyone with speed. And unfortunately a good defensive forward in a highschool league cant go any farther than just that. I recently started playing in a 4 on 4 roller league. On a really bad team. So i was forced to play defense, because i was 1 of only a few players on that team that could skate good backwards. I am having a hell of a tiem getting the timing down for having skaters come in the zone on me. ITs alot different from backchecking.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
JasonMacIsaac said:
I'm only 5'7". ;) That's as tall as I'm going to get. :cry:

TKLOOCH22

Jul 23, 2002
Nueva York
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:

Man, I could use that kinda spurt myself these next couple of years.
At 5'4'' it gets kind of discouraging waiting for those couple of inches. Playing High School hockey on Long Island is a bit different from other leagues around the U.S. as most of the decent hockey players ship out and move to someplace where they can play Prep hockey or even focus on Juniors. And the ones that do play believe they have no shot at playing any high level of hockey other than what they're playing now. Aside from Higgins, Komisarek, Nystrom and few others...Long Island is not a high scouted area for talent, IMO.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Pros: Good defensively, good passer with good vision, very good stickhandler, good skater with balance, played the physical game well.

Cons: Only a decent shot, did not have a goalscorers mentality, only 5'8 by my Senior year in high school, good at a lot of things but not elite in any category.

I put up points in junior and captained my high school team while scoring a couple points per game there, so I had fun. Would've liked to have played in college more but I chose a d-1 school (for the academics not the hockey program). Such is life!

kevinbelt

pros:
-hard, accurate wrist shot. i'd take my shot against pretty much anybody not playing in the nhl or ahl. i might not win all the time, but i'd be better than 50%, i think.
-good hockey sense. i always know where i am, where the puck is, where other people are, and where all of the above are going.
-pretty physical for a guy my weight (see below though). i don't mind pushing and shoving, especially in the slot area.
-attitude. i think i have the best mental game of anybody i've ever played w/.
-faceoffs? it's been a suspect area for me recently, but i've spent a lot of time working on my technique, so now i think i'm doing better.

cons:
-size. i'm average height (6'0), but i don't have a lot of size on my frame. i weight like 175 when i'm in shape. i'd need to add <b>a lot</b> of muscle to even be considered a prospect.
-skating. it's not that i'm a bad skater; it's just that nhl'ers are so good.
-stickhandling. i haven't mastered the art of not looking down while stickhandling. as a result, i'm pretty clumsy and prone to big turnovers if the defender knows what he's doing.
-experience. for being as old as i am (23), i haven't really played a lot. i grew up in an area of ohio that had zero opportunities for ice hockey. i managed by playing roller hockey, but i didn't play a real ice hockey game until i got to college. by that time, most guys my age had already been drafted.
-my thriving other career as the world's biggest pimp. w/ the new cba, i don't think any team could offer the kind of money i'm making now. ;-) or something like that.

Hitman*

Pros: Extremely strong in the corners, along the boards, behind and in front of the net, I was/am very hard to knock off the puck and its very hard to move me from in front of the net. I'm definitely a scorer. My wrist shot, playmaking and puckhandling skills are also very good. I make big hits too.

Cons: My backhand is just as fast and powerful as my slap shot on most nights it seems. I'm not a very fast skater nor do I accelerate very quickly, it leads to my poor defensive coverage especially near the end of a shift. I tend to float around the blueline looking for a chance to get on a break when I'm in my own zone. I try to look for a quick break on the PK so even though I've gotten a lot of SH goals in my career, the other team usually gets alot of PP chances when I'm on the ice. But my skating is definitely my biggest con because I could be a great player if I was fast and agile.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
Pros: Very good skater. Solid stickhandler. Excellent passer with good vision. Played well physically. Could stickhandle with proficiency in traffic.

Cons: Short. Light. Weak shot with poor accuracy. Primarily a breakaway scorer. Could't shoot a one timer to save my life.

Outlook: Fantastic beer league hockey player.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Pros: Good passer, above average wrist shot, will muck it up despite size, great one timer, good defensive skills
Cons: Gionta height(5'8"), very injury prone, no slap shot, no backhander, slower than hell...I have arthritis
Outlook: Average beer leaguer. If I get a lane I'll almost always put it in, but speed prevents that from happening too often. Arthritis severly limits basically everything I can do.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Pros:
Accuracy of shot
Passing
Stickhandling
Slot presence
Trash talking/pestering

Cons:
Skating
Shot Strength
Undisciplined penalties

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Pros: Good wrist shot, great hockey sense, predict where the play was going (resulted in quite a few garbage goals), decent skater

Cons: Not physical enough, didn't play the body as much as I could have. Couldn't unleash a good slapshot on the fly. Streaky player.

Mongoose

Jan 6, 2004
Philly
Visit site
Pros: 6'5, Very physical player. One of a few thaqt has balls to make hits in my league. Decent hockey sense, can read a play well. Hustle all the time. Great ability right in front of the net (screeining goalie, smacking at pucks)

Cons: Not best skater, but improving. Terrible slap shot. Bad accuracy on wrist shot (yet powerful). Bad penalties sometimes. Not fast enough. Easily aggrivated.

I BLEED OIL!

Aug 15, 2003
Chase
Visit site
Pros-I have really good vision, can give that beauty outlet pass, and have a decent, hard, accurate wrist shot, not bad skater

Cons-No slap shot whatsoever, kinda slow skater, and the worst thing about me is my size. I could have made the midget AA team this year but i was too small(5'2")

Twisted Wrister

Jun 29, 2002
The Boardroom
Visit site
This is a fun thread. :D

Pros: Tall center (6'2", 185, Shoots R), good technical skater. Good puckhandler and passer, not afraid to take the puck to the net. Likes to set up play from around the goal line. Good hockey sense on offense and aware defensively. Accurate wrist shot. Quick hands on faceoffs.

Cons: Not exactly fleet of foot (think Jason Allison). Slap shot not much harder than wrister. Not physical enough in the corners.

Outlook: Beer league second liner/two-way forward.

PK*

I used to be a dman, but I switched to forward. (Worst decision I took hockeywise, BTW) At defense, I usually was my team's #1 dman and I was a grinder at forward. I'll do pros and cons for each position :

Defense
Pros : I was very physical and I was good at clearing the front of the net. I had a good first pass to get out of the defensive zone. At times, I would do the ''Larry Robinson's'' end to end race and I wasn't to shaby on a breakaway. I was a decent skater forward. I had a good vision of the play. My wrister was pretty good too.

Cons : I had to work a lot on my backwards speed. Although I was physical, I wasn't to tall (think Francis Bouillon mold). My slapshot sucked. Sometimes, I would try to much on offense and I would get cut deep in the zone.

Forward

Pros : Physical presence in the corners and in front of the net. I was always getting in the face of the opposing team. Good pasing and good vision. Good on defense.

Cons : I would take some stupid penalties. Not enough of a good skater to play on the top lines. I would get selfish at times so my passing hability wouldn't help me at all. Too much defense, not enough offense.

Overall, I realise that I should have sticked to defense. One of my main pros at both positions was my leadership. I was captain or alternate for 6 years out of the 10 years I played.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pros: great skater, tremendos speed and acceleration, very good wrist snap and backhand shot, good passer with very good vison, solid two way player and some grit for my size.

Cons: Lack of slap shot(good along ground but could hardly ever get it air born) Stick handliing was averge, strength, injury prone at near the end of my playing days and height 5'9 isn't very tall lol

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
I'm a big guy (6'2" 200), so I'd say my best skill is to protect the puck. I'm not a exceptionally fast skater, but I have a reeallly long stride (think Jagr or Gonchar :p ). I'm best in the corners or in the slot. Once and a while I can surprise myself with a deke, but I'm more comfortable using my body to get by defenders (I like to lower the shoulder). I have a great slapshot I think but a slow release. My wrister is fast too, but once again I don't have the quickest release. I score a lot of garbage goals/tap ins/tips, but get a lot on slappers too. Overall I'm a much better passer than scorer. Think Ulf Dahlen-like....man I miss him :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->