props to MT and MB

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The next time you tell someone to "check the facts", make sure you know the facts of what the person said.

I do not have a problem with Subban's ice-time per-game, sure I wouldnt mind if he averaged more ice-time, but his 25 minutes a game are okay. What isn't okay is that there have been games where he plays far less minutes then he should be.

There is absolutely no reason for PK's absence on the PK unit. Subban was one of the reasons why our PK was one of the best in the league under Martin, he is also easily a much better D at his end than Bouillon and Diaz. Sure our PK is 4th in the league with the contributions of those two, but would it be catastrophic for us to possibly improve to 3rd in the league or more with Subban? And don't even get me started on playing Diaz and Bouillion over Subban at times in late-game situations.

You have to be crazy to think that PK time for Subban would somehow hurt his offensive game, Subban playing 27 minutes a game surely wouldnt hurt him, if anything, Subban and the team will be better for it. Let alone his desire to go out of his way to criticize Subban, on top of going out of his way to refuse to say anything positive about him, for example, when asked if Subban should be on Team Canada, he refused to answer. Umm...What!?

"When Deshainais was struggling"? Are you telling me that DD is finished struggling? He very well may continue to put up some points, but one game doesn't mean that he is over his struggles. I have no problem with him wanting DD to play better, we all want that, but when you give a player with 1 point in 20 games (prior to last night's game) more icetime than Plekanec and Eller in not one, but numerous games when the team is in need of goals, you are not being smart.

Like I said, Therrien has done some good for this team, but no doubt, he has made some stupid decisions.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that A-the PK is more than fine without PK and B-by using him those 2-3 minutes(he would play on PK per game) at 5 on 5 or PP it allows him to help the team the best way he can, by generating offense. Not sure why that's so hard to grasp.

When your GM spent 4 years and 14 mil on Desharnais if you want to keep your job you give the guy a chance to get going. He has 3 years of track record(110 points in 172 games) or generating offfense at over 0.6 PPGM so you try different thing to try and get him going, more ice time, less ice time and healthy scratch, MT tried it all.

Eller and Plekanec are both above 18 minutes a game average for ice time and Desharnais is at 15:18, so if he played more tahn them it was a one off situation, not the norm, but people here love making big conclusions based on exceptions.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
And why should we settle for mediocrity then? A coach that constantly gets out-coached is not one that will lead us to a stanley cup.

***I'm not suggesting we should settle for mediocrity, but most of the best coaches are currently...NHL coaches so you can't just go hire them.

As of today PK is currently 6th in the league. Two years ago it was good enough for 2nd in the league and Subban was a part of the reason why. PK CAN handle more minutes. The guy is a prime specimen and I won't even get into how the coach has publicly lambasted our star player or is unable to give constructive criticism when asked upon.

***I'm sure PK can handle more minutes, but if the team wants to have success, you can't wear him out in October and November. Plus the style of game he plays needs a lot more energy than guys like Suter, Markov and Chara.

No coach in his right mind will give a player every opportunity at the expense of losing games. Why is the player with one assist the whole season on in the final minute of a game when you need a goal? Why did he and continues to have more icetime than players who are more desverving? Not only deserve but who are flat out better.

***Desharnais had 3rd line ice time, 15:18. Coaching isn't just about who is "deserving" it's about pushing buttons to get as many players contributing as possible. Pacioretty hasn't deserved big ice time the last 3 weeks but still gotten it. Those two have a track record of production and as a coach and Gm I know that getting them going is a key to the team's success. It's NHL hockey not grade 5 kickball, not all about who deserves what, it's about what helps the team win.

Bouillon when used sparingly is fine but why in God's name does MT insist on using him on the PP when he has one assist in 130 minutes of PP time? This is not media fluff, this is a fact. If PK is one of the most skilled offensive d-men on a team struggling to score as you say, then why is he not being used for the full 2 minutes

***I'm not a big fan of Bouillon on the PP, but I can see the coaches' point of not using a forward on the point instaed, it can lead to SH goals and the PP in general is good. Subban and Markov often play a lot more than 1 minute per PP. At times Pk does play 2 minutes in a PP but that depends on how much rest he got before that PP.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You know what is funny--Some of you are so clouded with hate that you could not leave DD or the handling of Subban etc out of this thread. This was not a 'we won so all is well in Habsland'. It was strictly on their handling of the young players, PERIOD

Its not a poll on the handling of the whole team but on guys like bournival who has scored 6 goals, Galchenyuk and Gallagher playing good to great hockey and the staff giving them more rope period.

Subban isn't a young player anymore?
If you're talking about rookies and sophomore, that's different. But Gallagher came in and performed right from the start. Galchenyuk is a top 3 pick that could have been #1 overall if it weren't for his injuries.
So ya, those guys are pretty darn easy to manage. How have they transformed them?

Bournival at least spent a year under the Bergevin group in AHL with S.Lefebvre, so you can praise him for that.

But we've seen time and time again young players come in to perform in rookie or sophomore years and then decline. So we should wait more than 20 games.
And then, are you going to say you're disappointed with how they handled Leblanc? Tinordi? Beaulieu?...
Let's just wait.

Killerguitar101*

I love how they handled Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, so I voted yes.

But they should play Bournival on the first 3 lines instead of burying him on the 4th line. It is not Bournival's job to play on a 4th line with the likes of Moen, White and Parros.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I love how they handled Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, so I voted yes.

But they should play Bournival on the first 3 lines instead of burying him on the 4th line. It is not Bournival's job to play on a 4th line with the likes of Moen, White and Parros.

They didn't have a player surplus when the first three players you named, were being awarded playing time.

Bournival's 4th line gig is just the result of a numbers' game -- based on how they've dealt with upside rookies in the past, it's more than likely that they're looking at ways to create an opening for him. It's a nice situation to be in as we've been scrambling for adequate replacements in past years when lost-man-games were piling.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I thought this was a thread about MB and MT's overall approval...

And I thought it would be funny if the possible answers were:

Yes, I love them both more than Lennon/McCartney and I'm the biggest beatles fan ever.

Yes, I could turn gay for one or both of them

Yes, I have a tattoo of both of them I won't tell you where

Yes, I have a tattoo of one of them I won't tell which or where

Yes, they should make a movie about Therrien and MB obviously has telepathic abilities

and

Yes, they are purely majestic

Not... Possible... :sarcasm:

Killerguitar101*

They didn't have a player surplus when the first three players you named, were being awarded playing time.

Bournival's 4th line gig is just the result of a numbers' game -- based on how they've dealt with upside rookies in the past, it's more than likely that they're looking at ways to create an opening for him. It's a nice situation to be in as we've been scrambling for adequate replacements in past years when lost-man-games were piling.

IMO they should drop Desharnais and Gionta, then play Bournival and Prust on the third instead. Airbourne is a natural centreman, at least, I think so. Anyway we have so many guys that can play centre, we can drop DD.

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Briere
Prust - Bournival - Bourque
Moen/White/Parros/Whatever-4th-line-scrub-u-want

DD/Holland/Blunden/etc as backups.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Subban isn't a young player anymore?
If you're talking about rookies and sophomore, that's different. But Gallagher came in and performed right from the start. Galchenyuk is a top 3 pick that could have been #1 overall if it weren't for his injuries.
So ya, those guys are pretty darn easy to manage. How have they transformed them?

Bournival at least spent a year under the Bergevin group in AHL with S.Lefebvre, so you can praise him for that.

But we've seen time and time again young players come in to perform in rookie or sophomore years and then decline. So we should wait more than 20 games.
And then, are you going to say you're disappointed with how they handled Leblanc? Tinordi? Beaulieu?...
Let's just wait.

To me Subban has been here so long he seems like a vet.. But if they are teaching what I have seen that they are reeling in his 'free lancing' then I am all for it. Dont take unnecassary chances. Subban seems to be much better overall so far this year.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Actually, they are Trevor Timmins suggestions...they are Bergevin picks. I am a big Trevor Timmins fan, he and his scouts have an excellent eye for talent and can bring it to the fore front for Bergevin to evaluate and make a decision on how he wants to build a team, but Bergevin has the final say, so they are Bergevin picks. I'm sure at some moments in the draft, Bergevin delegates the decision making to Timmins, but that's what a good leader will do.
Bergevin was named GM a few weeks before the draft I would be really surprised if he didnt "delegate" all the picks to Timmins...

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Bergevin was named GM a few weeks before the draft I would be really surprised if he didnt "delegate" all the picks to Timmins...

again your bias against the man is showing

Heres is Bergevins history after playing--After his retirement, Bergevin was named a pro scout with the Blackhawks' organization. In 2008 he served as an Assistant Coach for the Blackhawks after three seasons with their scouting staff. In July, 2009, he was appointed the team's Director of Player Personnel.[2] While in this position, he won the Stanley Cup in 2010 after five years working to build this team.

On June 15, 2011, Bergevin was promoted to the position of Assistant General Manager of the Chicago Blackhawks. He replaced Kevin Cheveldayoff, who had left the Blackhawks organization to accept the General Manager position with the new Winnipeg Jets team.[3]

sounds like he would have no interest at all with prospects so he delegates everything..really??

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
again your bias against the man is showing

Heres is Bergevins history after playing--After his retirement, Bergevin was named a pro scout with the Blackhawks' organization. In 2008 he served as an Assistant Coach for the Blackhawks after three seasons with their scouting staff. In July, 2009, he was appointed the team's Director of Player Personnel.[2] While in this position, he won the Stanley Cup in 2010 after five years working to build this team.

On June 15, 2011, Bergevin was promoted to the position of Assistant General Manager of the Chicago Blackhawks. He replaced Kevin Cheveldayoff, who had left the Blackhawks organization to accept the General Manager position with the new Winnipeg Jets team.[3]

sounds like he would have no interest at all with prospects so he delegates everything..really??
Hawks picks werent even close to were the Habs picked that year, pretty sure the Hawks didnt "investigate" as much as the Habs on Yakupov, the first overrall pick... Add to that that Beaulieu's father was coaching both Yak and Galch so Im pretty sure the Habs scouts knew WAY more than Bergevin and the Hawks about the kids

Bergevin was busy in the GM interview process and it took a while... Then he had to interview people for the coach position and find some friends for all the positions to fill. I really wouldnt trust a guy who've been so busy with moving, pressers, new position (needs to know more about the current roster), needs to hire a coach and assistants etc
The list goes on
I think you guys are biased, there is no way Bergevin knew enough about the draftees in 2012 and thats why I give full credit to Trevor Timmins

HockeyF3ind

Jun 19, 2007
New York
If Subban isn't signed to the max contract length at the end of this year (or during the season) then MT and MB are both huge failures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad