props to MT and MB

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I have always admired the way he coaches the kids, no doubt, he has done a great job in that regard. However, his coaching of Deshairnais, Bouillion, and Subban is terrible.

I understand the need to get DD going for the betterment of the team, however, you do not try to make it happen while needlessly costing your team wins, something I believe he has done many times this year by overplaying DD.

I do not like his use of Bouillion either, the powerplay time he gets is ridiculous, and I would prefer Murray on the third pairing over Bouillion, simply because our other defencemen can do everything Boullion can and in some cases; they do it better. But no one on the team can bring a great physical presence near Price like Murray can. Yet, Bouillion isnt a major problem for me.

The major Problem has been his use of Subban, it has gotten better recently, probably because he is being forced to, which is the problem, a coach shouldnt be forced in whatever circumstances to give his best skater and Norris winning defencemen the opportunities to help the team win, it should be common sense.

If he has finally learned to better coach Subban, if he will stop overusing DD, I may stop wishing for him to be fired.

As for Bergevin, I like him despite the Briere and DD signing. This season and especially, the off-season will be a huge test for him though, I will judge his work mostly on that.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
No predictions here, but I think there is a 50/50 chance that Diaz will be pushed out by the sheer impact of the Subban/Markov contracts. The combined size of those players $ numbers has the potential to be game changing. They could force Bergevin's hand on the Tinordi/Beaulieu situation.

I expect the defense market to get bare pretty quick next summer, so if you extend him at 3 years x 3 mil then you leverage that situation to add a nice pick or good young player to a team desperate for defense.

I expect the Subban and Markov extensions to get some of Gionta's money(5 mil) and the increased cap(3-5 mil).

Markov may get an increase but it won't be a big one, he's already at 5.75 mil cap hit. Subban is at 2.875 and should go up to around 7.5(+/-500k)

I would like to bring Gionta back for 2 years at 6-7 mil but it would be dependant on moving Desharnais next summer, hence the need for him to get back on the rails after a bad start.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I expect the defense market to get bare pretty quick next summer, so if you extend him at 3 years x 3 mil then you leverage that situation to add a nice pick or good young player to a team desperate for defense.

I expect the Subban and Markov extensions to get some of Gionta's money(5 mil) and the increased cap(3-5 mil).

Markov may get an increase but it won't be a big one, he's already at 5.75 mil cap hit. Subban is at 2.875 and should go up to around 7.5(+/-500k)

I would like to bring Gionta back for 2 years at 6-7 mil but it would be dependant on moving Desharnais next summer, hence the need for him to get back on the rails after a bad start.

There's no way in hell I want Gionta back. Unless it's 1-2 years at 2.5 million.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I have always admired the way he coaches the kids, no doubt, he has done a great job in that regard. However, his coaching of Deshairnais, Bouillion, and Subban is terrible.

I understand the need to get DD going for the betterment of the team, however, you do not try to make it happen while needlessly costing your team wins, something I believe he has done many times this year by overplaying DD.

I do not like his use of Bouillion either, the powerplay time he gets is ridiculous, and I would prefer Murray on the third pairing over Bouillion, simply because our other defencemen can do everything Boullion can and in some cases; they do it better. But no one on the team can bring a great physical presence near Price like Murray can. Yet, Bouillion isnt a major problem for me.

The major Problem has been his use of Subban, it has gotten better recently, probably because he is being forced to, which is the problem, a coach shouldnt be forced in whatever circumstances to give his best skater and Norris winning defencemen the opportunities to help the team win, it should be common sense.

If he has finally learned to better coach Subban, if he will stop overusing DD, I may stop wishing for him to be fired.

As for Bergevin, I like him despite the Briere and DD signing. This season and especially, the off-season will be a huge test for him though, I will judge his work mostly on that.

Instead of listening to media fluff you should check facts for yourself. I don't think MT is a great coach, but he isn't terrible either.

Subban has played 25 minutes a game(24:54) through 22 games so far, how is that "mishandling" him? He's one of the most skilled offensive d-men on a team struggling to score the last month yet people are complaining that he isn't on the PK which is good without him(4th in the NHL). Please explain to me how Subban spending more energy killing penalities and less trying to create ffense would be smart?

How is he mishandling DD? He was more patient than most when he was struggling, giving him ample opportunities to get going, at some point it becomes up to the player to produce. You can only do so much to get him going.

Same for Bouillon, he gets #5 minutes, which should drop gradually with Emelin back. Would you rather they play Murray?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Props to Timmins for all the studs propspects, even Eller and Bournival trades were because of is scouting.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I thought this was a thread about MB and MT's overall approval...

And I thought it would be funny if the possible answers were:

Yes, I love them both more than Lennon/McCartney and I'm the biggest beatles fan ever.

Yes, I could turn gay for one or both of them

Yes, I have a tattoo of both of them I won't tell you where

Yes, I have a tattoo of one of them I won't tell which or where

Yes, they should make a movie about Therrien and MB obviously has telepathic abilities

and

Yes, they are purely majestic

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Instead of listening to media fluff you should check facts for yourself. I don't think MT is a great coach, but he isn't terrible either.

Subban has played 25 minutes a game(24:54) through 22 games so far, how is that "mishandling" him? He's one of the most skilled offensive d-men on a team struggling to score the last month yet people are complaining that he isn't on the PK which is good without him(4th in the NHL). Please explain to me how Subban spending more energy killing penalities and less trying to create ffense would be smart?

How is he mishandling DD? He was more patient than most when he was struggling, giving him ample opportunities to get going, at some point it becomes up to the player to produce. You can only do so much to get him going.

Same for Bouillon, he gets #5 minutes, which should drop gradually with Emelin back. Would you rather they play Murray?

The next time you tell someone to "check the facts", make sure you know the facts of what the person said.

I do not have a problem with Subban's ice-time per-game, sure I wouldnt mind if he averaged more ice-time, but his 25 minutes a game are okay. What isn't okay is that there have been games where he plays far less minutes then he should be.

There is absolutely no reason for PK's absence on the PK unit. Subban was one of the reasons why our PK was one of the best in the league under Martin, he is also easily a much better D at his end than Bouillon and Diaz. Sure our PK is 4th in the league with the contributions of those two, but would it be catastrophic for us to possibly improve to 3rd in the league or more with Subban? And don't even get me started on playing Diaz and Bouillion over Subban at times in late-game situations.

You have to be crazy to think that PK time for Subban would somehow hurt his offensive game, Subban playing 27 minutes a game surely wouldnt hurt him, if anything, Subban and the team will be better for it. Let alone his desire to go out of his way to criticize Subban, on top of going out of his way to refuse to say anything positive about him, for example, when asked if Subban should be on Team Canada, he refused to answer. Umm...What!?

"When Deshainais was struggling"? Are you telling me that DD is finished struggling? He very well may continue to put up some points, but one game doesn't mean that he is over his struggles. I have no problem with him wanting DD to play better, we all want that, but when you give a player with 1 point in 20 games (prior to last night's game) more icetime than Plekanec and Eller in not one, but numerous games when the team is in need of goals, you are not being smart.

Like I said, Therrien has done some good for this team, but no doubt, he has made some stupid decisions.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
What I don't like:
-Subban not on the penalty kill
-Galchenyuk not a center once in a while.
-Not a fan of Bournival on the 4th line, but if he wasn't there, he'd be scratched so I can't really complain about that one too much.

What I like:
Everything else.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I really like the work with the rookies so far. Not sure why people talk about DD, Diaz or Gionta..

Hopefully Tinordi will be ready soon.

PricePkPatch*

This is a great point. Coming into the season, I thought for sure Tinordi would stay up due to his contributions of last yer and having a great camp. We have such a glut of average defensemen that form a barrier for JT and NB.

And it's not like our defense is great or anything, Price is just unreal since the start.

Tinordi stayed with the team as long as he managed to keep playing up the NHL level and maintained his mean streak.

when he started slowing down and be more of a liability, he was sent down. Good job Jarred; you just need to practice your consistency. Like others said; it's better if Tinordi practices top minutes in the AHL and try to remain his nasty self rather than constantly running after the opposition.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

And why should we settle for mediocrity then? A coach that constantly gets out-coached is not one that will lead us to a stanley cup.

As of today PK is currently 6th in the league. Two years ago it was good enough for 2nd in the league and Subban was a part of the reason why. PK CAN handle more minutes. The guy is a prime specimen and I won't even get into how the coach has publicly lambasted our star player or is unable to give constructive criticism when asked upon.

No coach in his right mind will give a player every opportunity at the expense of losing games. Why is the player with one assist the whole season on in the final minute of a game when you need a goal? Why did he and continues to have more icetime than players who are more desverving? Not only deserve but who are flat out better.

Bouillon when used sparingly is fine but why in God's name does MT insist on using him on the PP when he has one assist in 130 minutes of PP time? This is not media fluff, this is a fact. If PK is one of the most skilled offensive d-men on a team struggling to score as you say, then why is he not being used for the full 2 minutes?

Last edited:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I Think the new lines are good but i still want the egg line back.Briere can score lots and plek can make him do that

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
What about drafting? MB said he wanted to build to the draft and every pick he made so far as been great or really good. But yeah they are doing well with the NHL transition so far just wished Pateryn played a game yet.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
happy DD is producing in a couple games, I've like most of what Bergevin has done but contracts are not his strong suit, identifying skilled young talent and giving them a real shot has been one of his up sides. Never been a supporter of MT, but if the team can win and buy into his systems then who would i be to argue

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Kids are playing well because they are really good not because of MT or MB, vets are not playing close to how they should so MT has no choice but to let the only devoted players play more...
Gallagher showed his devotion during preseason under Martin and Galchenyuk is a 3rd overall pick. No praise to MT or MB from me

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
What about drafting? MB said he wanted to build to the draft and every pick he made so far as been great or really good. But yeah they are doing well with the NHL transition so far just wished Pateryn played a game yet.
Its not his picks its TREVOR TIMMINS (often mispelled as Timmons) picks!

Habsterix*

It's so hard to give credit where credit is due, especially when one has anchored his feet so deep that he can't move them anymore.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
You know what is funny--Some of you are so clouded with hate that you could not leave DD or the handling of Subban etc out of this thread. This was not a 'we won so all is well in Habsland'. It was strictly on their handling of the young players, PERIOD

Its not a poll on the handling of the whole team but on guys like bournival who has scored 6 goals, Galchenyuk and Gallagher playing good to great hockey and the staff giving them more rope period.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Kids are playing well because they are really good not because of MT or MB, vets are not playing close to how they should so MT has no choice but to let the only devoted players play more...
Gallagher showed his devotion during preseason under Martin and Galchenyuk is a 3rd overall pick. No praise to MT or MB from me

your bias is showing. As a manager of an international company any choices I make still have to be approved by my boss. He does give me leeway but ultimately it is his call, so for you to suggest MB has no say in the draft is just foolish. Be real and its ok to give a little credit to someone you have chosen to dislike. I even give a little credit to the bruins or leafs at times..

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
They've done a good job with some and a not so good job with others. But that isn't an option on the poll.

In Therrien's case, I don't think he handled Subban or Eller very well. He seemingly tried his hardest to hold them back. With Galchenyuk & Gallagher he's done a good job of putting them in situations where they can succeed and grow. With Bournival he's been hit and miss. Bournival earned and was given a promotion (hit), but then got sent to the 4th line even though he was producing (miss).

For Bergevin I haven't seen him do much good or bad regarding the kids. Leaving a spot or 2 open at camp is fairly normal. I'm not sure what to think about the platooning of Tinordi/Beaulieu/Pateryn. Is it a deliberate strategy to get them all some time, or is it a case of no one showing that they belong. I didn't like the way Leblanc was handled, he deserved to stay longer.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
They've done a good job with some and a not so good job with others. But that isn't an option on the poll.

In Therrien's case, I don't think he handled Subban or Eller very well. He seemingly tried his hardest to hold them back. With Galchenyuk & Gallagher he's done a good job of putting them in situations where they can succeed and grow. With Bournival he's been hit and miss. Bournival earned and was given a promotion (hit), but then got sent to the 4th line even though he was producing (miss).

For Bergevin I haven't seen him do much good or bad regarding the kids. Leaving a spot or 2 open at camp is fairly normal. I'm not sure what to think about the platooning of Tinordi/Beaulieu/Pateryn. Is it a deliberate strategy to get them all some time, or is it a case of no one showing that they belong. I didn't like the way Leblanc was handled, he deserved to stay longer.

Great points. He does seem to play roulette with his lines at times which is frustrating. That is an overall frustrating part to me. I think the Dmen was a good way of allowing them to see big club minutes until #74 gets back.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Actually, they are Trevor Timmins suggestions...they are Bergevin picks. I am a big Trevor Timmins fan, he and his scouts have an excellent eye for talent and can bring it to the fore front for Bergevin to evaluate and make a decision on how he wants to build a team, but Bergevin has the final say, so they are Bergevin picks. I'm sure at some moments in the draft, Bergevin delegates the decision making to Timmins, but that's what a good leader will do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->