Proposing a new NHL award trophy - The Firewagon Cup

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
We have a trophy for most goals during the season for an individual player. Why not take it a step closer and make a trophy for the TEAM that scores the most goals during the regular season. I just threw the Firewagon Cup out there to hearken back to 80's hockey

But I think this is something that the NHL should create and heavily promote as a prestigious award in order to continue to open up the game more.

In fact how about having every team that finishes within the top 10 in league scoring being given some kind of monetary award by the league to distribute to every player on that team who had at least one goal.

I'm not talking tens of millions of dollars. Say team X leads the NHL in goals in 2022. They can be awarded $500,000 to distribute among their players. So these will not be massive amounts. The team that finishes 10th wouldn't get much at all...for these players obviously we know what they make, but it would still be nice in a way to promote more offense.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
We have a trophy for most goals during the season for an individual player. Why not take it a step closer and make a trophy for the TEAM that scores the most goals during the regular season. I just threw the Firewagon Cup out there to hearken back to 80's hockey

But I think this is something that the NHL should create and heavily promote as a prestigious award in order to continue to open up the game more.

In fact how about having every team that finishes within the top 10 in league scoring being given some kind of monetary award by the league to distribute to every player on that team who had at least one goal.

I'm not talking tens of millions of dollars. Say team X leads the NHL in goals in 2022. They can be awarded $500,000 to distribute among their players. So these will not be massive amounts. The team that finishes 10th wouldn't get much at all...for these players obviously we know what they make, but it would still be nice in a way to promote more offense.

New award? Yes, please. There should be lots of new yearly awards. And I like your suggestion.

Paid bonuses based on these awards? No. That's going down a crazy road that's nothing but problems, legal issues, CBA and revenue discussion. It's a quagmire of murky discussion that the league and PA would never let fly

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Sounds like a thing that would result in players giving it all to try and score in the 3rd period of a 7-2 blowout. I’m not sure that the kind of sportsmanship we want kids to watch.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Sounds like a thing that would result in players giving it all to try and score in the 3rd period of a 7-2 blowout. I’m not sure that the kind of sportsmanship we want kids to watch.

That's what coaches are for!

I don't have an issue with this. Let's do it.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Maybe they can create another new rule to coincide with this one that states whenever a team is down by 5 or more goals they have the option of rolling with 4 skaters and 2 goalies.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada

I feel like the only one who thinks teams shouldn't let up. It's the other team's fault for not protecting their zone and net and goals are a product of that, not bad sportsmanship.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I'm on board with the most goals as a team trophy but only if we also include the least goals allowed team trophy.
You mean the William M Jennings award?

The William M. Jennings Trophy is an annual National Hockey League (NHL) award given to "the goaltender(s) having played a minimum of 25 games for the team with the fewest goals scored against it.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They should give one of these to the player with the most blocked shots:

57021c80-8546-49cf-83b0-d04c7f722ab8_1.d8141a93d980602592694c9eec258798.jpeg

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I feel like the only one who thinks teams shouldn't let up. It's the other team's fault for not protecting their zone and net and goals are a product of that, not bad sportsmanship.

Meh. Your goal is to win games. You get 2 points regardless of the score. If a team leading 7-2 is keeping full pressure and absolutely trying to rack on more goals I find it pretty cheap. On one side you generally get players going in full individualistic mode trying to pad their stats. On the other it often leads to frustrated players, dirty shots and useless brawls. So in that way I think sportsmanship suffers. And we're usually on for some pretty crappy hockey.

Last edited:

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Or maybe we just keep it as it is and let teams pro athletes/coaches use common sense.

Meh. Your goal is to win games. You get 2 points regardless of the score. If a team leading 7-2 is keeping full pressure and absolutely trying to rack on more goals I find it pretty cheap. On one side you generally get players going in full individualistic mode trying to pad their stats. On the other it often leads to frustrated players, dirty shots and useless brawls. So in that way I think sportsmanship suffers. And we're usually on for some pretty crappy hockey.

What you don’t like the idea of 2 goalies 1 net?

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Similar to the baseball designated hitter, we should add a designated shooter. I'm thinking an additional player on the ice sitting at the top of the left circle who isn't allowed to move but is free to take shots on behalf of other players if they can get him the puck. We could try the rule for, say, maybe the next 5 years and see how it goes. This would allow both teams to ice 6 skaters and a goalie without increasing crowding too much, and increase number of goals by having high end shooters take more shots. Those are the only two reasons I have for this setup. :nod:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Maybe a team award for highest goal differential. That i could see gaining some traction

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Even if that idea were a real thing I don't think it would even be on the spectrum of things players think or care about.

They are there to win games and win the cup.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Even if that idea were a real thing I don't think it would even be on the spectrum of things players think or care about.

They are there to win games and win the cup.
I honestly don't think the players care about the Jennings, until maybe the 70 game mark and they have a shot at it. This would be similar, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad