Proposed Coyotes Rebrand (concept) (NEW concept on page 15)

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
It can have a coyote in it, but I don't think it needs to be a coyote head.

Imagine these were more professionally done, and stronger logos, all-around. Just the basic IDEA of them I like..

0411-brandonmanzione-phx.png

ChristianLegault-ARZ3rd.png

I like it, but it reminds me too much of the Atlanta Flames.

Here's Bill Clement, hands of cement, during his Flames days.

ClementFlames.jpg

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
So what's wrong with being reminiscent of that uniform? It's a great looking uniform.

Nothing wrong with being reminiscent, but if you're going to try and duplicate or make your own rendition, it has to look better than the one you're basing it off of. If not, you're always going to be compared to an amazing uniform and known for a failed ripoff.

I'm not saying those are bad, but they fail in comparison so the Atlanta jerseys. Those are classics. The Flames are ****ing up by NOT using such an amazing design/color scheme. It almost frustrates me haha. They used it for like half a season, then abandoned them. Instead they use that ugly red/black/yellow combo with blue patches. Sickening. Total waste of what could be an amazing addition to the league.

Lol anyways, I digress.
The Coyote howling into the "A" just looks unnatural. Not the worst I've seen, but if we're going to change, I'd like to go a different route.

I don't know why everyone hates our logo. Animal head logos in sports can be very risky. They tend to look cheesy if poorly executed, and I think they did a phenomenal job capturing the likeliness of a Coyote without making it look too real, or too much like a cartoon. I love our logo. I love our colors. I hate our font, or at least the numbers. The font itself isn't terrible.

If we could change the numbering, and maybe add the 2006 waist stripe (I've warmed up to the idea) I would be a happy camper. I like the Sedona Red and the white. I'm not not a huge fan of sand coloring on the jersey itself, I like it in the logo. I think white compliments other colors the best, especially dark colors.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
PHX-Third.png

I like this on a lot but wish cyborg coyotes head was bigger.

I would be very happy if we went back to that as the primary logo. The full body kachina always seemed a bit much to put on a jersey but just the head looks great imo.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA

I really like this- it ties in the franchise history with the current colors and regional style that went away when they ditched the katchina logo. For the record, I always thought the dark green/black/orange/sand was one of the best color combos in the league.

My only suggestion for tweaking the look quoted above is for the left side of the katchina face to be white, and the right side sand. From there, the accent marks (four peaks reference, inner ear, eye) be switched to red. My reasoning stems from what many Canuck fans complain about with their orca logo- that nowhere else does the team incorporate black, so the orca should be blue. But in doing so, half of it won't show up on the uniforms. It's why they had to use blue ice on the logo for the roads, and white ice for the home threads. I'm worried the red half of the katchina logo won't show up on the home unis. However, a mostly light-colored logo would, and having red peaks along the muzzle might be enough to frame the logo enough to still make it pop on the road unis. Desert Ice, think you could humor me with that tweak?

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
It was made by the team sometime around 02/03, as far as I know. That's just a recoloring.

phoenix_coyotes_alt_logo_concept_by_pd_black_dragon-d4jfaau.png

I believe this logo was created by Zephyr Caps around the time frame you mentioned. IIRC, they created logos for about half of the NHL teams (now discontinued until I saw that hoodie posted) as well as many college teams, which have had much more success.

Doing a search to see what I could find on that discontinued line, I came across this mock, combining current colors with the old 3rd desert and the Zephyr coyote.

Glen-PHX.png

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I really like this- it ties in the franchise history with the current colors and regional style that went away when they ditched the katchina logo. For the record, I always thought the dark green/black/orange/sand was one of the best color combos in the league.

My only suggestion for tweaking the look quoted above is for the left side of the katchina face to be white, and the right side sand. From there, the accent marks (four peaks reference, inner ear, eye) be switched to red. My reasoning stems from what many Canuck fans complain about with their orca logo- that nowhere else does the team incorporate black, so the orca should be blue. But in doing so, half of it won't show up on the uniforms. It's why they had to use blue ice on the logo for the roads, and white ice for the home threads. I'm worried the red half of the katchina logo won't show up on the home unis. However, a mostly light-colored logo would, and having red peaks along the muzzle might be enough to frame the logo enough to still make it pop on the road unis. Desert Ice, think you could humor me with that tweak?

hmm you make a very good point with the head being the same color as the jersey. However, current logo also has matching color on the logo to the jersey

phoenix_coyotes_jersey.png

Has not caused any problems and I can not remember that being a complaint. Probably a good border around the logo would suffice.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Last edited:

RABBIT

Oct 21, 2008

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That's a cool article, I like how they did the pictures. For you being a Kachina enthusiast rt, that must have been a difficult read for you :laugh:

There is nothing wrong with the kachina jerseys or the head logo. The full body cyborg Coyote not so much. The current logo may very well be passable but even an article that praises it notes how bland it is in hockey terms. Pair that with what is an otherwise boring (conservative) jersey set and you've got something that doesn't scream AZ or stand out.

The worst place you can be is indifference. I would rather have a set that is loathed by the league but is unique than a warmly received set that looks like a random junior team somewhere.

The IA guys may very well keep the logo but even they seem open to major jersey tweaks now. I hope they get it right.

RABBIT

Oct 21, 2008
There is nothing wrong with the kachina jerseys or the head logo. The full body cyborg Coyote not so much. The current logo may very well be passable but even an article that praises it notes how bland it is in hockey terms. Pair that with what is an otherwise boring (conservative) jersey set and you've got something that doesn't scream AZ or stand out.

The worst place you can be is indifference. I would rather have a set that is loathed by the league but is unique than a warmly received set that looks like a random junior team somewhere.

The IA guys may very well keep the logo but even they seem open to major jersey tweaks now. I hope they get it right.

That's the scariest part right there. I'm comfortable with the set we have, but open to changes. I'm however extremely fearful that we will see tubing/patches/coloring that we're all going to hate, and we'll be kicking ourselves that we ever suggested change. In today's NHL, it really is hit or miss. There's no in between. You either get the beautiful Detroit Red Wings, or the hideous Ottawa Senators.

ower

Sep 14, 2007
SEA by way of Tempe
I would be very happy if we went back to that as the primary logo. The full body kachina always seemed a bit much to put on a jersey but just the head looks great imo.

Yeah, no thanks. The Kachina era jersey were awful and embarassing. They looked more like a wrapper for some late night Taco Bell menu item.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->