Proposed Coyotes Rebrand (concept) (NEW concept on page 15)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
ChristianLegault-ARZ3rd.png

0411-brandonmanzione-phx.png

The ideas for the logo are cool. Coyote howling makes a A for Arizona. They'd need to be...better, but cool idea.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
628x471.jpg

We should copy the Guelph Storm for our red uniforms. I like the way their set looks.

9864825.jpg

Ditch the sand, and go with just black, white, and red. Incorporate the black into the actual uniforms. That way the logos actually tie in, rather than appearing completely unrelated to the uniforms.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
628x471.jpg

We should copy the Guelph Storm for our red uniforms. I like the way their set looks.

Keep the maroon pants/gloves/helmets , throw in a little black and it would look good.

--

The letter-change on the patch isn't a big deal and the team is making it one. Who cares.
I do think AZ looks better though.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Hi! Throwback to the original concept here, I'm continuing my relentless pursuit at perfecting how the coyotes should look in my eyes, and it'll be an ongoing process throughout the summer.

As a freelance designer, and a huge Coyotes fan obviously, I'd love to eventually submit this once it's as good as I can get it, and work with the team about making it a reality. As huge of a long shot as that may be, sometimes it's fun to set ridiculous goals, and a guy can dream. But hey, you never know.

One step at a time, and I have a thread where other sports logos fanatics are helping giving comments as well on another forum (link is at http://boards.****************/topic/98880-arizona-coyotes-rebrand-logo-update-1/), but I wanted to share the progress with you good people as well. First thing is making sure the crest logo continues to evolve in the right direction. I've updated the shape, changed the perspective to more of a side profile view, added teeth (that need to be updated, I know those aren't quite there), changed the sand fur highlights in the middle and accented them with a darker "sandstone", updated the shape of the nose, and changed the eye completely. I don't think the eye is quite there either.

logo-update.png

Also, here's the moon logo I'm continuing to work on. Combining some of my ideas from the original shoulder patch logo in the first page of this thread, I'm trying to work the cactus in to the negative space of the moon.

moon.png

Tell me what you think. I'm excited for the future of this project!

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I love what you're going for, and I think the palette is just about perfect.

The head is nice, but the mouth is forming into sort of a smile, almost laughter, whereas almost every pro team logo with a face on it is usually scowling or trying to intimidate in some other way. I actually kind of like it (in part due to its subversiveness) but I don't think the team would want to go in that direction. You mentioned the eyes need a little work, too, and on that note I'd just add that they appear to be looking up at a master rather than howling at a moon. That submissiveness along with the mirth cast by the mouth make it feel a little too unserious.

The other concern I have about this one is if that softer red you're using as a background in both of these images is the team's primary color (and I think it would have to be, if either of these logos were to be used), the head doesn't feature nearly enough of it. Obviously you want it to contrast with the rest of the jersey, but aside from the eye, the head has none of that color at all.

I find the moon and cactus visually appealing, but I get a very Looney Tunes vibe from the way the cactus is skewed, and again I think that cartooniness sort of undermines what most teams try to go for in their jersey. Generally, hockey teams want to look tough, or at least impart something that would intimidate an opponent (if not toughness, then speed or skill or even history and decorum).

Speaking more generally, while I appreciate the presence of the moon and the cactus in addition to the Coyote itself, I think both would benefit from a more southwestern aesthetic. I don't think you need to go full kachina like the original logo, but more of a nod to the unique elements of Arizona and its culture would make it feel more sincere.

You're definitely on a good track, though, and I'd take either of these over the current logo in a heartbeat (and as an art student, you're hardened to much tougher criticisms than the ones I have to offer, I'm sure). Keep the mockups coming.

Percy LeSueur*

Needs a nose... or at least some indication of a nasal passage other than a hole. Otherwise, it's pretty much perfect for the 'Yotes. Love this.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
coyotes.png

Wait... wait.... I think this is getting there a little more...

Definitely getting closer, though it could stand to look a little meaner still. As Percy mentioned, it could use a nose, too, probably that #a5957e color. At the risk of blowing up your whole project, I think part of the issue is that it's looking up. Unless it's howling (and it doesn't appear to be), this makes me feel like it's looking up for a command. I think if it were looking at a downward angle (maybe even a 3/4 view, as opposed to in profile), it would come off a lot meaner.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
I LOVE the color scheme of that design and I definitely like the concept of that more than what is currently being used, but putting it on a bright red background kind if destroys it though for me. As others said it's a bit happy (makes me think of Doughty face) and could use an actual nose. The shading with the darker sand, especially around the mouth, could be a bit less perhaps. I'd consider ditching the terminator eye (I'm just not liking that red at all with the rest of the colors I guess). Overall I'm really liking this idea though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad