Proposed Compliance Buyout

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm not against it, but at that point, why not just introduce a luxury tax?

The only teams capable of a compliance buyout are teams with money to burn... just cause they get erased from the cap doesn't mean they don't get paid in real dollars. And not every team has real dollars to spend.

I say just let teams spend over the cap, and charge a multiplier for every million they go over.

Went over 1mil? you pay 1mil
Went over 2mil? you pay 4 mil
Went over 3 mil? you pay 8 mil
Went over 4 mil? You pay 16 mil
Went over 5 mil? You pay 32 mil
Went over 6 mil? You pay 64 mil
Went over 7 mil? You pay 128 mil

etc

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think it should be in consideration that the NHL needs to gift one compliance buyout to all team every five seasons.

I like the rule because it gives teams an option, also it'll make for more interesting trades if other teams aren't using theirs. As of today there is a penalty from buyouts where they take money off the cap owed to the player.

The reason I think it should go into effect one day is that there are also LTIR that become early retirement. I think it's also wrong to be making a hidden agenda to force a player into retirement due to a falsified injury.
Owners don't want compliance buyouts.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
You have to live with your mistakes imo. That said, they should consider a one time compliance buyout due to Covid19. A lot of teams legitimately planned for an increasing cap and Covid19 just screwed those plans.

That's what escrow is for

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Here’s where I have a problem with this... I could be a team that doesn’t have a bad contract... how does this benefit me?

I would suggest this is a good idea under the premise that there is a penalty (draft pick forfeiture?) and the greater the amount of the buyout, the greater the penalty.

All teams have one back contract. The only bad contract that never gets bought out is Drew Doughty. But it could really benefit a team with no bad contract by that NHL team trading them to that team in the purpose of a buyout.

I'd use the Skinner contract as an example, but I think Andrew Ladd is one that'll make sense. NYI trades a 1st and 2nd to the Winnipeg Jets to buyout the contract which makes it easy to negotiate with their younger players.

I had another idea of sending a player down to the minors that had a high pay that wouldn't count against the cap. The player would go through waivers, and would pay them through their salary. The player could get sent down to the ECHL but the NHL team would need to pay a percentage of the players salary in order to send them down, but if that NHL team wanted to call up that player they'd have to pay again to call up or send them back down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad